Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 98 4D Accord EX and just noticed that someone must have hit the driver's side rearview mirror. I was driving and noticed that mirror needed adjustment for me to see out of it properly. When I tried to adjust it via the inside control the mirror would move a little and then pop back to its previous setting. When I got out of the car and closed the driver's side door the mirror and motor device dropped out and hung by the wiring. Inside the mirror housing I could see that the plastic tabs that hold the mirror and motor unit in place had broken off and that one of the tabs that hold the housing unit to the car body must have broken, since there was about an 1/8" gap between the top of the housing (where it connects to the car body) and the gasket and the whole unit had a little give to it when giggled.

Can anyone give me advice on how hard it is to replace this unit and how expensive a replacement would be? I assume if I went to an authorized dealership this would be expensive. Right now I have the mirror/motor stuck back in the housing well enough that I can use it, but its not that secure.

thanks in advance,

John

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Get a complete assembly from a 99 -02 Accord. They have the folding mirrors that are less likely to get broken where the 98 came with fixed ouside mirrors. Just pop off the inside trim piece and the assemblies can be removed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Get a complete assembly from a 99 -02 Accord. They have the folding mirrors that are less likely to get broken where the 98 came with fixed ouside mirrors. Just pop off the inside trim piece and the assemblies can be removed.
I have been wondering why I had fixed mirrors but I see so many folding mirrors! Going to have to keep a look out for 99 White mirrors now. I hate fixed ones..

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Yes the outside mirrors are interchangeable from 98 to 02. The "white" color may vary by year and amount of fading. A can of duplicolor in your car's color code would make the replacement easy. Or you can find them on ebay already painted - hopefully in your color.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just replaced my driver's side mirror, whole assembly, with a foldable one from a salvage yard, $65.00. Have to paint it though to match car's color. You will need to remove the door panel to access the electrical connector. It's pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't had time to replace this but I was looking at videos on youtube about this particular problem. To fix this on my 98 Accord am I going to have to take the door panel off? I was hoping I could just pry off the rectangular plastic panel on the inside of the door that hides to bolts and wiring of the unit. One video I saw had the electrical connectors down into the door panel.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
You should be able to get to it just by removing the triangle piece. The connector should disconnect from the mirror, so there shouldn't be a need to take the door panel off. I've been wrong before though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts