Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
JaeDM
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just looking to see members' opinion about how the Accord handles in the snow. While I understand that most of the snow driving really depends on drivers skills, experience, and tires, I just wanted to hear what others really thought of it.

I only ask because insurance is finally cutting me a check after the accident, and I already have the same dealership offer to sell me another Accord sport for the price I paid, but I been spoiled by Subaru's AWD for the past 6 years and been thinking about getting a new Legacy instead. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Was just looking to see members' opinion about how the Accord handles in the snow. While I understand that most of the snow driving really depends on drivers skills, experience, and tires, I just wanted to hear what others really thought of it.

I only ask because insurance is finally cutting me a check after the accident, and I already have the same dealership offer to sell me another Accord sport for the price I paid, but I been spoiled by Subaru's AWD for the past 6 years and been thinking about getting a new Legacy instead. Any info would be appreciated.
I think we need more info. Where do you live? Do you drive on city streets and roads or in the country? Do you drive on hilly terrain or flat terrain? Obviously, 4 wheel drive will be better in snow than FWD.

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
I used to live in the city with the highest average annual snowfall in America. And I had an M3, a rear drive car.

Without snow tires, my car couldn't get off the driveway. Literally. With snows, it had no trouble getting me wherever I needed in heavy snow accumulation. In fact, I used to zoom by numerous stuck SUVs on the highway who drove like an idiot because they thought they were invincible in snow.

So, my point is if a RWD performance car like M3 can do just fine in the snowiest town is USA, Accord will do just great with snow tires wherever you live.

·
JaeDM
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think we need more info. Where do you live? Do you drive on city streets and roads or in the country? Do you drive on hilly terrain or flat terrain? Obviously, 4 wheel drive will be better in snow than FWD.
Ah no problem...

I live in Western Mass. We do get some crazy snow here, and I commute about 64 miles a day through highway and back roads to my parents' business. About 70% highway and 30% stop and go traffic. Honestly, I know the answer is probably best to get a AWD, but I'm trying to give the Accord the benefit of the doubt because I do love the Accord when I first got it. It been awhile since I've driven a FWD car in the snow, everyone in my family drives a Subaru but me and I was the one who got them into subarus :lmao:

Accord been great to me before the accident. I really am trying to find reasons to just buy another one. The only reason why I don't think it be a bad idea because I can just get a ride with my folks to work, so I can keep the Accord at home and save miles. There will be days tho I have to go open the shop and have to drive my own car when I'm off work.

While I like the simplicity of Subarus interior, I like the Accord interior and options way more!

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
Like the previous posters said, it depends on where you live and how bad the snow gets.

For many people snow tires will suffice. For those in really treacherous conditions, AWD + snow tires may be needed.

And for everyone else....

·
Banned
784 Posts

I am planning to buy Michelin winter tires from Costco. I will be using 16" alloy rims that came with the LX since I have 17" rims with Michelin tires.

·
JaeDM
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like the previous posters said, it depends on where you live and how bad the snow gets.

For many people snow tires will suffice. For those in really treacherous conditions, AWD + snow tires may be needed.

Snow up here is bad enough. Previous years we have gotten 8+ inches of snow, so I'd say it can be pretty treacherous. Wish Honda could make accords with AWD or I could live somewhere else where there no snow. As much as I like these current model Accords, lately my mind really is drifting towards something AWD.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Snow up here is bad enough. Previous years we have gotten 8+ inches of snow, so I'd say it can be pretty treacherous. Wish Honda could make accords with AWD or I could live somewhere else where there no snow. As much as I like these current model Accords, lately my mind really is drifting towards something AWD.

8 inches for the whole year? ive seen storms last for a few days in the laurentian mountains accumulating a few feet of snow lol but besides that and my 2006 accord had no problem traversing the mountain roads with good snow tires, watched a few SUV's have troubles with summer tires :lmao:

so the answer is a FWD accord will be fine in the winter, with traction control and a good set of snow tires you will plow through like no ones business!!! :thmsup:

·
JaeDM
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
8+ inches is just during a storm, and I could be generous with the estimation. Regardless, snow is def an issue up here, especially when the store is in the boon docks, and I drive through enough hills. I still think the Accord can handle it, but AWD def handles all of the conditions with ease.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I used to live in the city with the highest average annual snowfall in America. And I had an M3, a rear drive car.

Without snow tires, my car couldn't get off the driveway. Literally. With snows, it had no trouble getting me wherever I needed in heavy snow accumulation. In fact, I used to zoom by numerous stuck SUVs on the highway who drove like an idiot because they thought they were invincible in snow.

So, my point is if a RWD performance car like M3 can do just fine in the snowiest town is USA, Accord will do just great with snow tires wherever you live.

This ^. It's all about the snowtires. I beleive in them 110%. I drove my RWD Magnum R/T thru 7 Upstate NY (the real upstate, 8 mi from the ADK mountains) winters with not one issue. With the proper snow tires that car was unstoppable.

This year both of our Hondas will be wearing aftermarket rims and GoodYear Ultra Grip ICE WRT tires. I have no doubts the both cars will be fine.

Jay

·
JaeDM
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm liking the vote of confidence with our Accord + snow tires. I usually go with Blizzacks but I had Hankook Icebears too and they been pretty decent.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
I am going to vote Subaru here....

1) The business is dependent on you to open it a few times every now and then. During/after a storm, you HAVE to be certain to get there.

2) True- much of driving in snow boils down to tires and driver skill- but then there is ice and many idiots in SUVs think that their AWD machine can go through ice no problem. They slide and spin and kill people.

3) Government cutbacks: Hear me out boys....I live in Illinois and the budget for state road maintenance and snow removal has not increased these last few years. The roads (in certain parts of the state) are not plowed as often, and as well, as they used to be.

4) Highway/backroads/stop-n-go: You are dependent on many state, local, and county agencies to keep roads clear. If you did not "own" the business, fine....but it is not cool to be the guy opening at 8am and others are there while you are stuck in a ditch.

Having said all that, my Accord works fine for me. We have a bit of an "salt" problem here in Chicago. They oversalt the roads and usually plow the main street by my home about 4 times an hour (lots of confusion over which agency should plow which portion of the road- or maybe it is laziness).

I had a Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo, AWD and would fly past SUVs when I drove cross country during blizzards. I did not have the clearance, but like SNAP sang- I Got the Power.

·
Elvira
3,440 Posts
I am going to vote Subaru here....

1) The business is dependent on you to open it a few times every now and then. During/after a storm, you HAVE to be certain to get there.

2) True- much of driving in snow boils down to tires and driver skill- but then there is ice and many idiots in SUVs think that their AWD machine can go through ice no problem. They slide and spin and kill people.

3) Government cutbacks: Hear me out boys....I live in Illinois and the budget for state road maintenance and snow removal has not increased these last few years. The roads (in certain parts of the state) are not plowed as often, and as well, as they used to be.

4) Highway/backroads/stop-n-go: You are dependent on many state, local, and county agencies to keep roads clear. If you did not "own" the business, fine....but it is not cool to be the guy opening at 8am and others are there while you are stuck in a ditch.

Having said all that, my Accord works fine for me. We have a bit of an "salt" problem here in Chicago. They oversalt the roads and usually plow the main street by my home about 4 times an hour (lots of confusion over which agency should plow which portion of the road- or maybe it is laziness).

I had a Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo, AWD and would fly past SUVs when I drove cross country during blizzards. I did not have the clearance, but like SNAP sang- I Got the Power.
I hear you on the lack of $

Last winter I had three deer following me around and one stuck to the rear bumper for a week there was so much salt.

Both confusion AND laziness

But the 2013 handled the last winter extremely well considering it isn't AWD.

Although for complete confidence I too would vote Subaru AWD/4WD plus skill.

Miker

·
13 Accord Coupe V6 Ex-L
194 Posts

lmaooo so much win!! and if 6 wheels isnt enough, that spare tire Epic!:notworthy

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
I'd like to add this but it is not germane to the question (nor Tito nor Michael):

In Germany, they do not salt the roads because:

1) It costs money
2) Salt kills vegetation
3) Salt can speed up the useful life of the road's condition
4) Germans won't pay for something that destroys their cars
5) They have a strict driver's license test- you have to know how to drive in the snow

Many people in Denver have Subarus because:
1) Denver uses a small amount of sand- and only in intersections
2) Denver does not "plow all the way down"- they actually leave some snow on the ground to prevent ice driving
3) You are expected to have AWD and know how to drive

It saves taxpayer money, and salt is used sparingly as they are the mile high city and don't want to ruin their drinking water and natural beauty by killing vegetation.

I don't know about western Mass, but you have to look into this. I drive in/out of the city on a highway, and then have a mile or two in suburbs. No problem for me- but, no way would I drive my Accord in the boonies through these broke-arse municipalities that own one plow.

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
AWD Subaru without the winter tires will give you the same false sense of security as with any other AWD vehicles, yes you can get going faster and easier from AWD traction as compared to the 2WD vehicles, but you will NOT stop any faster than any other vehicle given the same speed, same weight, same braking power, and the same tires.

As one of my former boss with BSc, MSc, and PhD in aerospace engineering said: "You cannot defy the laws of physics."

Bottom line, unless you are going to be driving on unserviced winter roads with noticeable grade/slope, the Accord with a good set of winter tires will do just fine, but even if you decide to go Subaru, please do yourself a favor and get good winter tires anyway, it's worth its weight in gold.

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
I'd like to add this but it is not germane to the question (nor Tito nor Michael):

<snip>

Many people in Denver have Subarus because:
1) Denver uses a small amount of sand- and only in intersections
2) Denver does not "plow all the way down"- they actually leave some snow on the ground to prevent ice driving
3) You are expected to have AWD and know how to drive

It saves taxpayer money, and salt is used sparingly as they are the mile high city and don't want to ruin their drinking water and natural beauty by killing vegetation.
Another reason a lot of (extreme) cold climate cities don't use salt is salt becomes more and more ineffective as temperature get colder, if you then add in the financial and environmental cost, it quickly becomes clear why some cities will use sand instead to provide traction rather than to melt the snow down.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Throw a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks on. You'll have no problems driving in snow :)

·
JaeDM
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In all my previous cars before the accord I've thrown snow tires on my Subys. I'm still tempted to buy another accord and just go the snow tire route. I only have to open 1-2x a month and if need be I could always borrow one of my family members Subarus when its bad out or buy a winter beater.

I should just move. I'm sick of snow anyways, been in Western Mass most of my life.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
My friend in SLC uses Blizzak's on her Jetta as she did her Altima and her 3 with no problems through the winter.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts