Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 55w HID 6k for my low beams, and while they are good, I need some new high beams. I live in an area where there are not many cars but there are many deer. I am looking for the brightest high beams I can find that will fit my car with little to no modification. I bought some LED bulbs and then realized that they are just for DRL and not at all for high beams (Yeah I know, stupid me). I need them to work as DRLs while also being super bright high beams.

So what bulb would be the best option for me?

Sorry if a similar thread was already posted but I did not see one that was similar to my question

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
I'm willing to bet you didn't do a retro and merely put HID's in your reflectors. If you want better high beams then do a Bi-Xenon retro and your HID's will become your brights. If you still need more light use 9011's in your High Beam they even make the DRLs whiter.

Reactions: infinite012

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm willing to bet you didn't do a retro and merely put HID's in your reflectors. If you want better high beams then do a Bi-Xenon retro and your HID's will become your brights. If you still need more light use 9011's in your High Beam they even make the DRLs whiter.
I put the HIDs in my projectors. So i should do a retro bi-xenon in my projectors and if those aren't bright enough then I should do the 9011s?

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
I put the HIDs in my projectors. So i should do a retro bi-xenon in my projectors and if those aren't bright enough then I should do the 9011s?
If you are using Morimoto's the wiring is already there for Bi-Xenon, it's the solenoid.

9011's are HIR bulbs, you just need to trim the tabs. they are about 150% brighter than 9005'S

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What car do you drive?
I drive an 08 accord coupe V6

If you are using Morimoto's the wiring is already there for Bi-Xenon, it's the solenoid.

9011's are HIR bulbs, you just need to trim the tabs. they are about 150% brighter than 9005'S
Where is the best place to get the bi xenon bulbs and where can I get the 9011s?

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
I drive an 08 accord coupe V6
So then you're using a halogen projector. You have actually reduced your light output even though it seems brighter. It's all glare

·
Registered
409 Posts
Eh, I wouldn't say it's all glare, but the amount of glare has definitely increased 3x from factory. The worst part of it, though, is that halogen projectors are generally very narrow and throw lots of foreground light when you install an HID kit into it.

StopShoe, what you should do is use an H9 bulb in your low beams and 9011 HIR bulb for the high beam.

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
Eh, I wouldn't say it's all glare, but the amount of glare has definitely increased 3x from factory. The worst part of it, though, is that halogen projectors are generally very narrow and throw lots of foreground light when you install an HID kit into it.

StopShoe, what you should do is use an H9 bulb in your low beams and 9011 HIR bulb for the high beam.
+1
9011 Bulb H9 bulb

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I knew those HID lights weren't as bright as on my old car. So those lights you have linked on amazon are going to be my best bet? What about actual headlights? Are there any aftermarket headlights that would better suit my needs/wants?
Another question,
Could I make the "high beams" reflector my low beam and my projectors the high beam? or would that just be completely useless?

Sorry if I am asking so many questions, I am just trying to make sure I get the best lights available on the first go around...well make that the second go around lol

·
All my wats
90 Posts
Heh, love the sedan owners talking authoritatively on the performance of the coupe projectors that they don't drive with.

OP, get a 35w lowbeam kit and either stick with 9005 high beams or go with HIRs if you use them for longer durations and the extra cost is justified. I've used my high beams like a dozen times in my 8.5G but I had 9012s in my old Accord's low beams for about 7 years...and they were still working when I removed them.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Heh, love the sedan owners talking authoritatively on the performance of the coupe projectors that they don't drive with.

OP, get a 35w lowbeam kit and either stick with 9005 high beams or go with HIRs if you use them for longer durations and the extra cost is justified. I've used my high beams like a dozen times in my 8.5G but I had 9012s in my old Accord's low beams for about 7 years...and they were still working when I removed them.
What makes you so qualified to pass judgment on sedan owners who are trying to advise op of a safe, legal, and courteous option of increasing light output?

Study after study has shown that throwing an HID kit into halogen housings are unsafe and under perform, putting increased amounts of light in the wrong spots for safe nighttime driving.

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
I knew those HID lights weren't as bright as on my old car. So those lights you have linked on amazon are going to be my best bet? What about actual headlights? Are there any aftermarket headlights that would better suit my needs/wants?
Another question,
Could I make the "high beams" reflector my low beam and my projectors the high beam? or would that just be completely useless?

Sorry if I am asking so many questions, I am just trying to make sure I get the best lights available on the first go around...well make that the second go around lol
There are NO aftermarket headlights BETTER than OEM. The Halogen bulbs on the Amazon link are the brightest and best Halogen bulbs you can use. You cannot swap high for low, just won't work. If you do a retrofit you can get more light, but that may not be a route you want to go. Check out TRS

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are NO aftermarket headlights BETTER than OEM. The Halogen bulbs on the Amazon link are the brightest and best Halogen bulbs you can use. You cannot swap high for low, just won't work. If you do a retrofit you can get more light, but that may not be a route you want to go. Check out TRS
Are the 9011 bulbs that were linked the HIR bulbs?

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts

·
All my wats
90 Posts
What makes you so qualified to pass judgment on sedan owners who are trying to advise op of a safe, legal, and courteous option of increasing light output?

Study after study has shown that throwing an HID kit into halogen housings are unsafe and under perform, putting increased amounts of light in the wrong spots for safe nighttime driving.
Let's be honest for a second here. If everything is so black and white, a retrofit or any different bulb than what the DOT specified is illegal--full stop.

How is some guy taking parts made for an Acura/Nissan/Lexus/etc and putting them in his car in his garage any more legal? I once made a z-shield for RX330 projectors with 300ZX clear lenses...that thing had a yellow, red, green, purple, and blue cutoff due to the aberrations. I would have been pulled over so fast if I had put it in the car. "But officer...they are OEM parts!"

I've had my coupe since November 2013, and I drive with the headlights on most days. 13k miles, easily 1/3 of that using the headlights. HID kit installed since early 2014. There is enough spread to light up guard rails on 3 lane highways with ease. Cutoff is average as expected. Light evenness is very good provided the bulb is good (TRS "imperfect" bulbs are great somehow). Ironically, the hotspots and streaking present with the stock H11 bulbs went away with the bargain bin incorrectly manufactured TRS bulbs.

As I've said previously, the LED switchbacks cause more glare than the projectors. They are similar in design to the ones you just installed in your car, if I remember correctly. Those things light up overhead road signs...the projectors with H11 HIDs do not any more than any other projector with squirrel finders. I can drive behind people with a regular car (Impala, F150, Camry, whatever) and their pee yellow halogens light up the signs while I can't see the beam of my 5500k bulbs doing to the same.

Since people around here love TRS so much, post #3 will be taken as gospel.

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
Let's be honest for a second here. If everything is so black and white, a retrofit or any different bulb than what the DOT specified is illegal--full stop.

How is some guy taking parts made for an Acura/Nissan/Lexus/etc and putting them in his car in his garage any more legal? I once made a z-shield for RX330 projectors with 300ZX clear lenses...that thing had a yellow, red, green, purple, and blue cutoff due to the aberrations. I would have been pulled over so fast if I had put it in the car. "But officer...they are OEM parts!"

I've had my coupe since November 2013, and I drive with the headlights on most days. 13k miles, easily 1/3 of that using the headlights. HID kit installed since early 2014. There is enough spread to light up guard rails on 3 lane highways with ease. Cutoff is average as expected. Light evenness is very good provided the bulb is good (TRS "imperfect" bulbs are great somehow). Ironically, the hotspots and streaking present with the stock H11 bulbs went away with the bargain bin incorrectly manufactured TRS bulbs.

As I've said previously, the LED switchbacks cause more glare than the projectors. They are similar in design to the ones you just installed in your car, if I remember correctly. Those things light up overhead road signs...the projectors with H11 HIDs do not any more than any other projector with squirrel finders. I can drive behind people with a regular car (Impala, F150, Camry, whatever) and their pee yellow halogens light up the signs while I can't see the beam of my 5500k bulbs doing to the same.

You are correct in saying that any headlight configuration other than what came with our cars is illegal, however, putting a HID bulb in a housing, either reflector or projector is disrespectful of other drivers. While using HID projectors is by law illegal, it will not blind other drivers when used with bulbs 6K and under (4300K being the ideal)

·
All my wats
90 Posts
You are correct in saying that any headlight configuration other than what came with our cars is illegal, however, putting a HID bulb in a housing, either reflector or projector is disrespectful of other drivers. While using HID projectors is by law illegal, it will not blind other drivers when used with bulbs 6K and under (4300K being the ideal)
The coupe projectors are not "disrespectful" nor blinding in the least.

This is like me giving someone else supercharger advice. I can parrot what I've read on the internet, but I have no actual experience with them.

·
Registered
409 Posts

I wasn't telling OP to install illegal parts. The H9 bulb is optically compatible with H11 in certain situations.

I agree with many of the things you're saying. HID kits are always illegal. Retrofits are illegal, but at least aren't as obvious as an HID kit in OEM halogen housings. The LED switchbacks I (and you) have installed are also more than likely illegal. What I disagree with is installing an HID kit in any halogen headlight, even the Accord's, is acceptable.

You'll also see that the only person actually qualified to make a statement in the HIDPlanet thread is @Markus, the lighting engineer.

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
I wasn't telling OP to install illegal parts. The H9 bulb is optically compatible with H11 in certain situations. HID kits are always illegal. Retrofits are illegal, but at least aren't as obvious as an HID kit in OEM halogen housings.

You'll also see that the only person actually qualified to make a statement in the HIDPlanet thread is @Markus, the lighting engineer.
Honestly you are trying to change the laws of physics. The projector in a halogen setup is designed to focus light based on the position of the filament. an HID bulb does not have a filament, unless you think it does, and therefor the focus of the projector will be off, producing glare which you will plainly see by the illumination of overhead highway signs. It's physics not a belief system. I have made the mistake of putting HID's in a Halogen reflector and I have seen first hand.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts