Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you flame, I've done LOTS of searching and reading, I'm almost positive no one has done what I'd like to do. I'm good at wiring but I'm not electrical Yoda. It's a tall order but I need your brilliant minds to help.

I have a 2014 Sport sedan i4 6-speed. I want LED strips on as running lights, BUT I also want the white to turn off and switch to orange/amber for turn signals. With the research I've done, it looks like I can have one or the other.

Yes, I can wire a 2 color led strip to switchback bulbs so they are white together or orange together. That is simple.
Problem 1: Can I do that AND have the white on all the time as a running light?
Problem 2: If we fix problem 1, I imagine the white will stay on while the orange also comes on. Can we get the white to turn off?

Brainstorming here. I don't want to tear up a lot of factory wiring and know LEDs don't need much power. What if I tapped the 12v+ from the regular DRL bulbs and ran it to the LED strip with a diode (to make sure power only flows one way), and also tapped the white color switchback bulb power into the same LED strip wire. Would it take power from each source when available or am I stupid?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I've been looking at lights like that. However, it doesn't solve my problem. In the light strips there are white LEDs and amber LEDs. It looks like each set gets a 12v+ connection, so 3 wires, basically ground white and amber.

If I tap the white to a 12v constant they will stay on the same time and we can add the amber. I don't want that. Newer cars with led strips as running lights have the white turn off when the amber comes on. I would prefer that as it is more visible.

JB4674, your idea is probably what I'll end up doing unless anyone else has any ideas. Tap the white light to a constant 12v source so they are always on and add the amber off the switchback bulbs.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Reactions: jb4674
1 - 4 of 4 Posts