Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the sedan and had to drive through three puddles after a heavy rainstorm to get home.

The car's running fine, but is there anything I should check before starting the car up again?

Where exactly is the engine air intake located on the accord sedan? How high up is it?

·
HK Moderator
14,090 Posts
Yeah...define "puddle".

Enough people drove through lakes recently but start out saying "puddle"...later they say "water came over their hood". THAT is not a puddle.

Definition....?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just drove through a heavy rainstorm. No massive puddles but popped the hood anyway just to check. Everything was nice and dry.

The intake scoop is located on the radiator support forward of the battery. The intake runs from the scoop down to the driver's side bumper cover corner then back up to the engine bay.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah...define "puddle".

Enough people drove through lakes recently but start out saying "puddle"...later they say "water came over their hood". THAT is not a puddle.

Definition....?
The water level was about half to 3/4 of the tire if I had to guess. The problem was that passing cars were splashing water onto my windshield and hood.

So, if the car is running normal, is there anything I need to really worry about? Should I get it checked just incase?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Open up your front hood and see if the water gets anywhere close to your battery terminal or any other part that still has left over water, clean it and dry it off u should be good..

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it looks dry now, but it's been a while, so it could have dried out. I'll let it sit overnight and see how it goes tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Holy cow... You drove through a lake not a puddle. Puddle is something your shoes may get soaked in, not something you'll need to change your underwear because you had to Wade across it.

Your lucky you didn't hydrolock the engine with that much water.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Holy cow... You drove through a lake not a puddle. Puddle is something your shoes may get soaked in, not something you'll need to change your underwear because you had to Wade across it.

Your lucky you didn't hydrolock the engine with that much water.
The roads were flooded and that was the only way to go and I followed all the other cars into it. Some cars were just flying through the puddles like it was nothing.

Other than full on hydrolocking, can I damage the engine or other parts without knowing about it?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Yeah...define "puddle".

Definition....?
You nailed this one! "Puddle" turns out to be either 6-8 inches about the bottom of the door (if it was half way up the wheel), or about at the "H" emblem in the grill if it was 3/4 up the wheel. That's not a puddle!

·
Elvira - the car
3,519 Posts
Based on the posts here about driving through water and it's hazards, I was curious to look at the air intake down by the resonator.

JekyllandHyde mentioned the tube goes down to the bumper level, which is OK other than the fact that there is a VERY loose fitting gasket down there where it meets the resonator box.

If that gasket isn't tight fitting enough (mine isn't), you might as well have had an intake tube down there sucking up water like a vacuum.

Not saying this happened to you but it should be remembered. I know I'm gonna remember it next puddle I see.

This is the V6

Attachments

Reactions: Slides

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You nailed this one! "Puddle" turns out to be either 6-8 inches about the bottom of the door (if it was half way up the wheel), or about at the "H" emblem in the grill if it was 3/4 up the wheel. That's not a puddle!
Well of course. I wouldn't really ask if it was a true puddle by definition. Cars go over those kinds of puddle every time it rains and it's not even an issue.

This was standing water on road after a heavy thunderstorm.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Based on the posts here about driving through water and it's hazards, I was curious to look at the air intake down by the resonator.

JekyllandHyde mentioned the tube goes down to the bumper level, which is OK other than the fact that there is a VERY loose fitting gasket down there where it meets the resonator box.

If that gasket isn't tight fitting enough (mine isn't), you might as well have had an intake tube down there sucking up water like a vacuum.

Not saying this happened to you but it should be remembered. I know I'm gonna remember it next puddle I see.

This is the V6
Yeah, this isn't something that I will be doing again. I got pressured into by all the cars lined up behind me and the ones in front going through the water.

·
Registered
267 Posts
From the diagrams of the intake resonator, it looks like there aren't really any gaskets between the resonator box and the downward facing pipe from the scoop. I read another thread on here about somebody driving through deep standing water and hydro locking his engine. Could've leaked through this joint.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Update: They car seems to be running fine, but should I get anything checked out just in case?
You're probably good at this point. But rule of thumb, never drive through deep water... It's too easy to not be able to realize how deep it is and last thing you want is to get stranded by a dead car...

Oh, and your honda isn't a jeep or hummer. Keep that in mind also. Lol

·
Registered
267 Posts
What do you all do if you're driving on a highway and run into deep standing water? Do you stop or do you try to go through it? Here in NYC several highways flash flood when it rains hard. If you stop you get honked (blared) at and of course if you try to pull over everybody blocks you. I stopped last time, got blared at, returned the driver's salute and played chicken with 3 cars who wouldn't let me into their lane to pull over to the shoulder to wait for the water to go down. I also watched 2 cars stall in the middle. LOL

I HAVE driven through deep standing water but this was in my 04 Civic which had the intake scoop right behind the headlight and straight into a top mounted resonator so standing water was never a concern so long as it was below the headlights. However, the Accord intake silencing resonator being down low has me a bit worried.

·
HK Moderator
14,090 Posts
If you stop you get honked (blared) at and of course if you try to pull over everybody blocks you. I stopped last time, got blared at, returned the driver's salute and played chicken with 3 cars who wouldn't let me into their lane to pull over to the shoulder to wait for the water to go down. I also watched 2 cars stall in the middle. LOL
NYC is tough, man! I've had full size pick-up trucks (with lift kits) in Chicago tail gate me and honk their horn as they want to go through standing water. I act like I stalled out (and put on my blinkers) until I can crawl over to the right or left and avoid standing water- no matter how deep. Chicago has good mid-western folk, and one will always let you in. But NYC is like a death match.

I HAVE driven through deep standing water but this was in my 04 Civic which had the intake scoop right behind the headlight and straight into a top mounted resonator so standing water was never a concern so long as it was below the headlights. However, the Accord intake silencing resonator being down low has me a bit worried.
Miker's excellent diagram makes me wonder why they designed it this way?

My nieces were raised in Wichita Falls, TX, and so are used to flooding and droughts. Roads- especially under a bridge, always have giant rulers next to them so you can see (clearly) how deep the water is. If the water is at the 3 foot mark, don't go forward unless you are driving a pick-up with a lift kit.

Now if I am driving a rental, I beat that thing like a pimp that is owed money and aim for puddles.

·
Yes, I'm a girl.
1,649 Posts
I've seen deep standing water once from a water main break and got beeped at several times as I turned around and got around it. The guy behind me in an SUV was getting all impatient and waving and beeping when I stopped dead and wouldn't go into it. I then put my car in reverse until he gave me room to turn around. I didn't care how long we were gonna sit there, I was not going to put my car in 3 feet of water so he could get through it any faster.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts