Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of research, i had decided to do the Mosconi 6 to 8 v8 as my dsp with my stock headunit. It was a very pricey unit, but I figured I would do it. A local shop in my area is doing my build and I bought the unit from them. They were able to get me the unit but advised me not to go with it. Some of their clients are getting noise from their 6 to 8 units and they said tuning it would be very complicated, time intensize to tune and cost phrohibitive. Overall they dont feel comfortable installing such an expensive piece and possibly causing me problems, with me coming back to them. I am actually very happy I didnt buyt the unit as it is very expensive, complicated and if the shop doesnt feel comfortable tuning it, whats the point? I know I cant tune it. Also, it might not make sense doing such an expensive eq with a stock headunit. In any event, dsps are out as I cant tune them and almost no one in my area knows how to tune them. So they are reccomending much simplier pieces. I would like to do units that I can buy from them and they can tune. So, I am looking at the following units:

1.). Audio control dq-61
2.). Audio control lc7i
3.). Kicker mxsum8

I am leaning toward the dq-61 as it has a lot of nice features and comes with basic eqing ability, which should be enough. It also comes with a bass knob. I need speaker level inputs and a line driver at the least. Which unit should I do? Which would give me the least noise? Luckily, my headunit has a flat, full range signal with no bass roll off. Are the lc7 and kicker too basic? I figure having some eq ability would be nice. This shop carries jl, mosconi, kicker, alpine, kenwood, audiocontrol etc. Can you reccomend me a nice piece?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Get the ms8. It tunes itself in a matter of 5 minutes. Accomplishes in minutes what it takes many tuners months of tweaking to do. You can get it on amazon for $440.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I will take a look at the ms 8 but my shop is not a jbl dealer and cant get it. I want to get something they sell. So something in the lines mentioned above. If I have to get something from the lines above, what would you suggest?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Ok, I will take a look at the ms 8 but my shop is not a jbl dealer and cant get it. I want to get something they sell. So something in the lines mentioned above. If I have to get something from the lines above, what would you suggest?
even if they don't sell it, I'm sure they'd install it. Installation is no different than any of those other units.

If need be, simply have them do the install minus the ms8 and just add it yourself. Just make sure there's room on the amp rack for it. you'll just plug in the wires after screwing the ms8 into the board. Really nothing to it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Be aware that the MS8 has been discontinued. So if you want one, you better get one fast.

Also be aware that you don't NEED a line output converter. Your touchscreen HU has a 3V output level, so you can just attach RCA connectors to the factory wires prior to the factory amp and run them into a good amp. If you do that, plus get an amp that has a remote gain control knob for the subwoofer channel (many do), you can save the money of the processor.

As for the question you really asked, I don't have experience with the three units you listed, but the LC7i seems to be the most common and I haven't seen anyone complain about them. But if the DQ-61 has features you want, go for that. Kicker is a big brand and all, but AudioControl has specialized in processors for decades now, so I would trust them more.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the reccomendation for the ms8. I just checked it out and I really dont like it. I dont want to go for that. Tunability is important but I want to make sure I choose a unit that does not introduce noise, or introduces the least noise possible. I really dont want that dreaded hiss that some people get. If that means I lose some tuning ability without getting a hiss, I would choose that unit.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Thank you for the reccomendation for the ms8. I just checked it out and I really dont like it. I dont want to go for that. Tunability is important but I want to make sure I choose a unit that does not introduce noise, or introduces the least noise possible. I really dont want that dreaded hiss that some people get. If that means I lose some tuning ability without getting a hiss, I would choose that unit.
not everybody gets this hiss you speak of. If wiring issues are present, thats a potential issue in any set up. Don't associate something like that with a single unit. I have an MS8 and there is absolutely no hiss.

·
Registered
745 Posts
The mosconi is a bad ass DSP. The bit one is great too. The ms8 is cheesy and ain't all it cracked up to be, and yea I own. The interal amp went out pretty quick. Ive got a little hiss but it's barely noticeable. There is a reason jbl discontinued it. Parts are hard to get try getting their proprietary display cable.

My buddy and I just installed a bit one and took it down to our pro audio shop and the guy tuned it in an hour. All the talk about it talking months and months to get it right are nonsense if the person knows what they are doing. Id run the mosconi or bit one over an ms8 all day if I could do it again. To each their own I guess.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not everybody gets this hiss you speak of. If wiring issues are present, thats a potential issue in any set up. Don't associate something like that with a single unit. I have an MS8 and there is absolutely no hiss.
Sorry, I wrote this incorrectly. I meant in general with any unit, not hiss specifically related to the MS-8.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Sorry, I wrote this incorrectly. I meant in general with any unit, not hiss specifically related to the MS-8.
There are loads of people running all different kinds of DSps here and elsewhere with great results. I don't see how you can write off DSPs in general because it does happen sometimes. Buy a quality unit, makes sure it's new and comes with a warranty(buy thru authorized dealer) and install it or get it installed. If the unit is not up to par for you, you can return it get your money back and buy another unit. They all wire up relatively the same so you won't be wasting money on another install, maybe an hour to switch the new unit over.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are loads of people running all different kinds of DSps here and elsewhere with great results. I don't see how you can write off DSPs in general because it does happen sometimes. Buy a quality unit, makes sure it's new and comes with a warranty(buy thru authorized dealer) and install it or get it installed. If the unit is not up to par for you, you can return it get your money back and buy another unit. They all wire up relatively the same so you won't be wasting money on another install, maybe an hour to switch the new unit over.
I think you are misunderstanding what I wrote. I am not writing off dsps because some might or might not have noise. I am writing them off because no shop in my town knows how to tune them properly and neither do I. Looks like most dsps need an rta or osiliscope to set properly. I know I dont have either and can at best tune by ear.
In general what I am just saying is whatever unit I get, I just dont want it to give me noise.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I think you are misunderstanding what I wrote. I am not writing off dsps because some might or might not have noise. I am writing them off because no shop in my town knows how to tune them properly and neither do I. Looks like most dsps need an rta or osiliscope to set properly. I know I dont have either and can at best tune by ear.
In general what I am just saying is whatever unit I get, I just dont want it to give me noise.
Gotcha. Man you must live in a small town. There are like 5 Addison dealers in a 20 min radius from me and all can tune. Where do you live?

·
Thunder Up!
3,020 Posts
None of listed units are really 'DSP's' in the sense of what most audio people consider a DSP. The DQ has 7-band eq and a little TA, but that's about it. While 7 band is nice, that's not much.

The MS-8, while discontinued is still being sold. Parts are definitely hard to come by, but I don't think you'd just up and misplace something. If something breaks then it's under warranty. They'll either get you a new one or replace/refund you.

The mosconi is a bad ass DSP. The bit one is great too. The ms8 is cheesy and ain't all it cracked up to be, and yea I own. The interal amp went out pretty quick. Ive got a little hiss but it's barely noticeable. There is a reason jbl discontinued it. Parts are hard to get try getting their proprietary display cable.

My buddy and I just installed a bit one and took it down to our pro audio shop and the guy tuned it in an hour. All the talk about it talking months and months to get it right are nonsense if the person knows what they are doing. Id run the mosconi or bit one over an ms8 all day if I could do it again. To each their own I guess.
The MS-8 is definitely not cheesy. Many of us that have tons of experience with many DSP's and many many years of experience in audio know what it can do when used correctly. There are a lot of little things that can contribute to poor sound from that thing. It's finicky..if you don't know what you're doing with it. That's any DSP really. The Mosconi, Bit.one/ten, PS8, etc etc all have their issues. The PS8 blew my buddies esotar tweeters :0

1 - 14 of 14 Posts