Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright fellow Accord brethren, I noticed the MAIN'T REQ light flashing longer than usual after startup. Since I have an 05 and don't have te nifty oil life indicator, what exactly is the purpose of it?

Also: how to reset it, pls.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Do you have your owners manual? If so, it explains exactly why it does that. Basically that light is border line useless in my humble opinion. Basically used to remind you that your oil needs changed. But if you change your own oil and forget to reset it, then it will turn on earlier than it should.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
The light will start to blink when you turn the key on, every 7000 miles or so. It is just a reminder to change the oil, and do any other maintenance that would be due at your present time/mileage interval. If the light is not reset, after a certain point, the light will stay on constantly. What the light means, what to do, and how to reset the light is in the owner's manual. If you don't have an owner's manual, you can register at Honda owner's link, enter your VIN, and get all the owner's manual information.

·
Banned
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, I see.

I'm only 4.8K on this oil change, I'm running synthetic so I'm good for another 2-3K.

I'll leave it be and just reset the light when I do the next oil change.

·
Registered
804 Posts
the maintenance light doesnt care what oil you are using. it will go off the same time if you are using $0.69 oil or amsoil... speaking of which today of all days my light started to give me the "heads up" im using amsoil.. our toyota does the same thing it will give you a few blinks.. then if you dont do something about it in 500 miles it stays on the whole time.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
You are going to get tired of seeing that light, if you don't reset it. I don't do any maintenance according to that light, so when it does come on I reset it right away. I keep records of all the maintenance I do in the owner's manual, and use that to determine when to do the maintenance again. To reset the light, hold the odometer reset button down (use your left hand), then turn the key to on (don't start the engine), and continue to hold the button until the light goes out.

·
Banned
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips, guys. I need to clean the car today or tomorrow, so I'll probably reset it then...unless I go out for coffee first. Mmmmm, caffeine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts