Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with this tire - looks to be very new to the market. Apparently it is to replace the Graspic.

I'm looking at snows, and I have it down to the Michelin Xice Xi3, and the Dunlop WinterMaxx. I considered the General Altimax Arctic, but I can get the Michelins for the same price and they are supposed to be quieter than the Generals.

The tread on the Dunlop looks good for snow, but it's the lack of test data available for it that is pushing me away from it. On the other hand, the Michelin has good ratings, but not so good ratings in deep snow and slush. I live on an uphill street and often have to drive up it in deep snow for the Accord, so this is giving me reservations about the Michelin.

Any thoughts?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Winter+Maxx

·
Registered
480 Posts
I had basically the same concerns as you regarding this tire since there are no reviews or test data on it yet. I went ahead and ordered them from Tire Rack along with some 16" alloys. I went with them because they come in the 205/65 size, they're cheap (there's a $40 rebate on a set of 4, which makes them the same price as the Generals) and because it looks like they have non-directional tread so I'll be able to rotate them diagonally each winter which makes my OCD happy.

I probably would have gone with the Michelins if I could have got them for the same price, but there's no way I'm paying an extra $160 for them (based on current prices on TR).

edit: Actually I'm not sure if they're directional or not.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure if they're directional either. I was also looking at it from the rotation perspective. I looked at the pictures on TR, and I can't see any directional arrows on the sidewall so they must be rotatable. The only thing I can see is that there is an outside and an inside.

I can get the Michelin's 215/55/17 installed, balanced, and tax included for $808. The Dunlop's are $824, but in Canada we get a $60 rebate on the Dunlop so I'm only saving $54 over the Michelin's. So basically the same price.

I'm really stuck on this decision, because the Michelin's do have good reviews, but seem to be kind of mixed in deep snow. Also the tread on the Michelin really looks like an all season to me.

Have you received your Dunlop's yet?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yes I received them yesterday. They are in fact non-directional. They look good. It will probably be 3 weeks or so before it gets cold enough here to justify putting them on my car so I won't have any feedback until then.

The only other winter tires I've had experience with are the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 which they don't make any more. They performed great on my previous cars (Scion TC and Nissan 350Z) and they have a similar blocky tread pattern like these Dunlops so I'm hoping the Dunlops will perform well.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the pics. I think I'm going to get mine soon. I thought the same thing about them looking like the Blizzak. Apparently these are the new model to replace the Graspic DS3, which seems to have really good reviews.

I think I'm going for the Winter Maxx too. I like the idea that they can be rotated properly. Plus, I have had 2 other cars with unidirectional Michelins that made funny noises at certain speeds, and it's a similar tread pattern on the Xice Xi3.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yes I received them yesterday. They are in fact non-directional. They look good. It will probably be 3 weeks or so before it gets cold enough here to justify putting them on my car so I won't have any feedback until then.

The only other winter tires I've had experience with are the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 which they don't make any more. They performed great on my previous cars (Scion TC and Nissan 350Z) and they have a similar blocky tread pattern like these Dunlops so I'm hoping the Dunlops will perform well.
What did the set cost you? I'm shopping for a winter set.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
514 Posts
$841 shipped. Lug nuts and hub rings are included for free. There's a $40 mail in rebate on the tires so it'll end up being right at $800 once I get the rebate.
Thanks. I priced steelies with the same tires and they were $700 total. Trying to just find some used rims.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Tirerack claims the Dunlop WinterMaxx did very well in their own testing. And yes because it's new we're all a little concerned with no customer reviews yet. I stand by Dunlops after I had Winter Sport M tires on my '06 BMW for 4 winters in NJ. I felt very confident in those at all times, dry or snow covered roads. Other tire I am thinking of is the General Artics, has very good reviews and much cheaper than the Michelin Ice... and about same price as the WinterMaxx.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Tirerack claims the Dunlop WinterMaxx did very well in their own testing. And yes because it's new we're all a little concerned with no customer reviews yet. I stand by Dunlops after I had tWinter Sport M tires on my '06 BMW for 4 winters in NJ. I felt very confident in those at all times, dry or snow covered roads. Other tire I am thinking of is the General Artics, has very good reviews and much cheaper than the Michelin Ice... and about same price as the WinterMaxx.
Did you contact Tire Rack and ask about their testing on the Winter Maxx, or are their test results posted somewhere on the website? I couldn't find any test results yet.

·
Registered
481 Posts
rep told me on phone yesterday... But I didn't follow-up with any proof. I'm confident of Dunlop Winter tires after my BMW experience for 4 winters

·
Registered
480 Posts
It looks like Tire Rack has published the first part of their testing for this tire.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=180

The Dunlop basically did the worst in terms of good weather driving (wet and dry) and scored near the top on ice. Here is the summary:

The Michelin X-Ice Xi3 strikes the best balance of this group, and delivers great traction on the ice and in the wet while maintaining good road manners. The Continental ExtremeWinterContact is another great option that limits the trade-offs to get good winter traction. The Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 and Dunlop Winter Maxx are both somewhat more focused, providing very good ice traction, but are not able to match the wet grip and clear road driving refinement of the best in the category

1 - 12 of 12 Posts