Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, it has been a year and a month after my initial purchase of a Duralast Gold Battery.

Today I had to exchange out for a replacement, and noticed that another guy was doing the same just as I put mine on the counter top. His also was a gold top. I looked at his label and found it too was about a year old as well. So, after a check my battery was 75% charged after having my car run an half hour charging while parked, and then driving a half hour to the local Autozone. I figure the charge would have been higher considering I also had done a 30 minute charge with a 3 amp charger.

Now my replacement is a black top Duralast Gold battery of the same specifications as my replaced one. I will mark my calendar, and if I go through this one more time in a year's time frame, I'll give Interstate my money and call it a day. :eek:)

After having charging issues within the last 7 days, I found an issue...

While checking the wiring carefully, I noticed that the battery terminals were a tad loose even after tightening down the connectors. Being very cold out, I figured that being tight in the summer may not be tight enough for winter. It seems Honda has larger diameter terminals on OEM batteries, an may not fit tightly on aftermarket replacement batteries. I used a shim cup on the positive battery terminal and replaced the Honda battery ground with a 12" replacement.

As for the fix, it was a no go today, as the car would not start after being parked in our garage for 2 days, while our other car which had been out in the weather for the same time, started without any issues.

So I am crossing my fingers that the battery I just replaced had a factory defect, and that the new case on the Duralast Gold may have improved design as well.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
Interesting...because I bought my 24F Duralast Gold about a year ago too. We'll see what happens. To be honest, I haven't been particularly impressed with the capacity. If I leave my tablet charging over 2 days I won't be able to start the car. I've been contemplating throwing the OEM 51R in the trunk and running some wires along the brake lines to battery-boost the 24F.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've have my 24F Duralast Gold for about a year and a half. No problems at all, though I'm mostly stock. I did add a grounding kit to the car when I upgraded the battery. I think the battery has a 3-year warranty also.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah

I know I should have gone with Interstate... just at the time I wanted something that was more available than having to look for or an Interstate store.

Either way the next battery I will get will be an Interstate MT7, or until better technology becomes available

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Johnson Controls makes the Duralast Gold and the Interstate batteries.

They make about 80% of all auto batteries and sell them to middlemen which in turn markets them under different names such as DieHard, Everstart, Duralast, Interstate, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts