Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I was waiting in the parking lot and forgot I had the headlights on in my 2005 Accord V6, while also charging my phone at the same time with the car charger. I go to start the car and nothing.

Radio won't turn, the cluster lights work, starter won't even crank. So I had to get a jump. I didn't think 1 hour would almost kill the battery like that. I would think it could handle it, I guess not though. :thumbsdow

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,722 Posts
1 hour with the lights on? That will finish almost any battery. Drive it so it charges, and don't leave your lights on after the car is off. It may still be ok.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,685 Posts
Do you have a charger? If you charge it, and it goes dead again soon after, it might be done. Have a multi-meter, so you can check to see if the alternator is charging? Warranty still in effect?

·
2006 I4 MT
1,689 Posts
I know the I4 batteries are tiny but the V6 one should have lasted a little better. Maybe the battery was weak already? How old is it?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Don't Accords turn off the headlights when they are off after a minute?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would have to check when the battery was replaced by the previous owner, they kept every single record but those are at home. I had the car off, but the key turned to allow the car charger to charge the cell phone. I had the light switch on, not sure if they automatically turned off or not. But after I got it jumped and drove about 20 miles it seems fine and starts up no problem. I did service the battery a few months ago by refilling it and cleaning the terminals.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
I would have it tested and see if it ok, that can usually be done for free at most autoparts stores.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Dead battery?

Commonwealth of Virginia
24 December 2013:

Roadside services will be held on Thursday, 26 December 2013 at Honda Cemetery in Charlottesville, VA., for Accord7200's battery, age unknown, of a 2005 Accord with a V6 engine. In lieu of flowers, please send cold cranking amps to Accord7200.

The group 35 battery, which died from either natural causes or was killed off by being overworked by its new owner (investigation continues) passed away 24 December 2013. The battery had a will, and had asked that no heroic measures (jump starting, swearing, begging) be invoked to keep it alive. The local Honda dealer will officiate.

The battery was of unknown brand and loved its Accord dearly. It enjoyed running errands, visiting Washington, DC, and racing Camrys. It always enjoyed the simple things in life, like powering a radio or a needed dome light. It will be missed dearly unless that 40% off coupon at Advance Auto is still good.

http://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I would have to check when the battery was replaced by the previous owner, they kept every single record but those are at home. I had the car off, but the key turned to allow the car charger to charge the cell phone. I had the light switch on, not sure if they automatically turned off or not. But after I got it jumped and drove about 20 miles it seems fine and starts up no problem. I did service the battery a few months ago by refilling it and cleaning the terminals.
AFAIK, they do turn off, it's possible this battery is just old if you got it from the PO. Get it checked at a Autozone or Advance.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts

·
Doing trumps "I've read".
110 Posts
Must be the day for batteries...

Just today, saw the battery light flicker on the dash at start-up and ran a couple errands. Had the time, so I stopped at Autozone. They ran a test and everything looked great (cold crank amps and voltage) buy it failed the load-test so they credited me the life it never gave me (it was purchased 5.5 yrs ago) and I purchase a new one. Ever since my first car owned in 1989, I have found batteries will pretty much give you five yrs give or take and just die. The days of 10 years are gone. The chance of getting stranded isn't worth stretching the life.

Accord 7200, what type of battery are you "filling"?

·
Super Moderator
6,661 Posts
Just today, saw the battery light licker on the dash at start-up and ran a couple errands. Had the time, so I stopped at Autozone. They ran a test and everything looked great (cold crank amps and voltage) buy it failed the load-test so they credited me the life it never gave me (it was purchased 5.5 yrs ago) and I purchase a new one. Ever since my first car owned in 1989, I have found batteries will pretty much give you five yrs give or take and just die. The days of 10 years are gone. The chance of getting stranded isn't worth stretching the life.

Accord 7200, what type of battery are you "filling"?
What battery did you get and what's the cold cranking amp? The batteries at Autozone are junk. Get yourself an Interstate MTP plus II from Firestone with 800 CCA. I noticed a huge difference when I changed from the stock one to that. Much stronger and quicker cranks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I looked at the records and it was replaced back in April 2009, at the dealership with a honda battery. So it's been about 35000 miles, and about 4.5 years. It ran fine the rest of the day, if it does go bad ill probably just get a Costco battery for 80$. I've used it before in my other accord and it was good, plus they replaced it no questions asked when it did have a little issue.

·
Registered
840 Posts
After 4.5 years its probably time to replace. If its weak, any amount of drain could make the car not start

They only last about a couple years where I live

·
Doing trumps "I've read".
110 Posts
Cca

What battery did you get and what's the cold cranking amp? The batteries at Autozone are junk. Get yourself an Interstate MTP plus II from Firestone with 800 CCA. I noticed a huge difference when I changed from the stock one to that. Much stronger and quicker cranks.
It's 640 CCA. I probably should get better batteries. Autozone's are made by Johnson Controls.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
So to sum up this thread, basically, you left the lights on and the car would not start, and if it does not start again you are going to Costco.

OK, got it.

For everyone else, follow the advice posted and get your battery AND alternator tested for free at any auto parts store and know your Cold Cranking Amps. Also, don't "fill" your battery- there is a 99% chance it is simply a sealed, "maintenance-free" battery.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
They only last about a couple years where I live
I understand people want to be anonymous, but maybe only half the people here post their location. Makes a difference if you are in Hawaii, Arizona, Nigeria, or Minnesota.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I understand people want to be anonymous, but maybe only half the people here post their location. Makes a difference if you are in Hawaii, Arizona, Nigeria, or Minnesota.
Funny out of all places you happened to mention his location

1 - 20 of 30 Posts