Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read some posts here about the Hybrid battery not lasting long. I have a '18 Hybrid Touring model and today when I went to start it I got nothing. I couldn't even get the trunk to pop open so I could get my cables. Fortunately the key FOB still could open the trunk. I jumped started it and ran it for a few minutes. I then shut it off and tried to start it up. It fired right up. This happend about 8 months ago too but worked fine until today. My question is: Is it time to replace the battery or will a good charge keep it going for a bit longer? The car is only 3 years old and the battery shouldn't be failing already.

·
Registered
286 Posts
It sounds like your battery may be going out. But take it to the store. Battery test is free at Autozone and the others. They will tell you for sure.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've read some posts here about the Hybrid battery not lasting long. I have a '18 Hybrid Touring model and today when I went to start it I got nothing. I couldn't even get the trunk to pop open so I could get my cables. Fortunately the key FOB still could open the trunk. I jumped started it and ran it for a few minutes. I then shut it off and tried to start it up. It fired right up. This happend about 8 months ago too but worked fine until today. My question is: Is it time to replace the battery or will a good charge keep it going for a bit longer? The car is only 3 years old and the battery shouldn't be failing already.
This issue is with the 12V battery, not the hybrid (high-volt) battery. Did you accidentally leave the car on?

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
10,160 Posts
You're fortunate to get 3 years out of an OEM starting battery, replace it. Some Walmart batteries have a 3 year over the counter replacement warranty with an additional 2 years prorated. They are far less $$$ than those at an auto parts store with lesser warranties.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE:

I took my car to Autozone. They said they are unable to test the Honda Hybrid batteries. That being said I decided to gamble and just buy a new battery. With core exchange it was $200. If I took it to the Honda dealer it would have been $500 (depending on the battery). So far I've had no problems with the car.

·
Registered
471 Posts
UPDATE:

I took my car to Autozone. They said they are unable to test the Honda Hybrid batteries. That being said I decided to gamble and just buy a new battery. With core exchange it was $200. If I took it to the Honda dealer it would have been $500 (depending on the battery). So far I've had no problems with the car.
Again, your problem seems to be with the 12V battery, not the HV (High Voltage, or Hybrid) battery. Autozone is able to test this battery, you just need overcome any misunderstandings that you, or the clerk, have about which battery is at issue.
  • The 12V battery powers the car's electronics.That isn't just the radio, it is (A) everything that always turns "on" when you press the "START" button, and (B) everything that is supposed to work when the car is "off," like the trunk release. This is what wasn't working.
  • The HV battery powers the electric motor, powers the generator when it is used to start the gas engine, and maintains charge in the 12V battery while the car is "on."
But you shouldn't go to Autozone for this issue. The Honda warranty on the 12V battery is 100% for 36 months (depending on when you bought it, this may still be true), and 60% if you've passed that. Given your previous experience, you may be able to get the 100% coverage anyway.
Font Number Document

And I doubt the $500 number.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Again, your problem seems to be with the 12V battery, not the HV (High Voltage, or Hybrid) battery. Autozone is able to test this battery, you just need overcome any misunderstandings that you, or the clerk, have about which battery is at issue.
  • The 12V battery powers the car's electronics.That isn't just the radio, it is (A) everything that always turns "on" when you press the "START" button, and (B) everything that is supposed to work when the car is "off," like the trunk release. This is what wasn't working.
  • The HV battery powers the electric motor, powers the generator when it is used to start the gas engine, and maintains charge in the 12V battery while the car is "on."
But you shouldn't go to Autozone for this issue. The Honda warranty on the 12V battery is 100% for 36 months (depending on when you bought it, this may still be true), and 60% if you've passed that. Given your previous experience, you may be able to get the 100% coverage anyway. View attachment 534078

And I doubt the $500 number.
I wish you could have responded before I bought my new battery at Autozone. I called the local Honda dealer and they knew when I bought the car and said nothing about its warranty. She told me that to get a new 36 month battery with labor it was between $480-$500. I even did a web search to see if I could find something out about the warranty but couldn't find anything like you posted.

·
Registered
2021 Accord Touring Hybrid
61 Posts
Just an FYI, the warranty cited by Jeff Jo is for a replacement battery, not the one that came with the car when purchased. If the car was over 3 years old, and still had the original battery, there was no longer any warranty on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an FYI, the warranty cited by Jeff Jo is for a replacement battery, not the one that came with the car when purchased. If the car was over 3 years old, and still had the original battery, there was no longer any warranty on it.
Thanks. I'm actualy in the process of trying to get some reimbursement from the dealer that I bought the car from. He quoted $145 for a replacement battery, not the price I was quoted earlier. It's going up the chain of command now to see if I can get any reimbursement or not. I'll post what happens when I find out. Could just be an expensive "lesson learned."

·
Registered
471 Posts
I believe there is similar coverage for the original battery. I've taken advantage of it (although I don't believe the battery was at fault.) Our CR-V's battery "died" due to lack of use dutin COVID, and was replaced at no cost.

An jetsticks? I'm sorry I didn't make myself clearer. I thought my original description, of an item that was warrantied by documents you should have in your possession, was enough.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe there is similar coverage for the original battery. I've taken advantage of it (although I don't believe the battery was at fault.) Our CR-V's battery "died" due to lack of use dutin COVID, and was replaced at no cost.

An jetsticks? I'm sorry I didn't make myself clearer. I thought my original description, of an item that was warrantied by documents you should have in your possession, was enough.
No problem. I appreciate the info. I actually found the disc that came with the car when I bought it and saw where you got that info. I dropped the old battery off after repurchasing it from Autozone. After they run their diagnostic tests I should get some sort of refund. I'll post that when it happens.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,241 Posts
For what it's worth ,,, after realizing my Accord battery was 3 years old, I got worried. Went to Interstate Battery and they tested it. It was actually showing new battery voltage, 12.7, and higher than new battery CCA. Honest guy working there said I don't need to replace. For under $40 at Amazon, I got my own tester a Konnwei KW600. So I can replace when I notice a drop in voltage etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For what it's worth ,,, after realizing my Accord battery was 3 years old, I got worried. Went to Interstate Battery and they tested it. It was actually showing new battery voltage, 12.7, and higher than new battery CCA. Honest guy working there said I don't need to replace. For under $40 at Amazon, I got my own tester a Konnwei KW600. So I can replace when I notice a drop in voltage etc.
Good info. I was actually looking into buying one. I've just been using a Multimeter but I need something more accurate.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Had to replace my 12v battery on my 2020 Hybrid EXL -- only 18 months old, but over 28K miles. One day the car just would not start and random lights. Battery tested at 9.6v. Replaced at Honda dealership though the only way to get it out of my garage is via Honda roadside assistance and having it towed. The dealership would NOT swap batteries if I pulled the bad one and took it directly to them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
BTW, for those out of warranty, Costco does have the Group 51 (for our Hybrids) battery for $76. This is an Interstate battery -- the same as the Honda replacement from the dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
BTW, for those out of warranty, Costco does have the Group 51 (for our Hybrids) battery for $76. This is an Interstate battery -- the same as the Honda replacement from the dealer.
I have replaced dead batteries in three different cars in the past three years and purchased Costco batteries all three times. They are significantly less expensive than anywhere else, and all have offered excellent service so far. One fact about batteries that is not as well known as it should be, is that there are only 3-4 places (if that) in the United states that even make car batteries. So, you might shop for batteries of different "brands" at several different places that are actually exactly the same thing.

One question I do have: I wonder if the Idle-Stop System adds additional stress to the battery? My old car engine was started maybe 5-6 times a day tops. With my metro commute and traffic, I wouldn't be surprised if this new car is being started 20 times a day.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Costco is my store, but, Sam's has a much better rated(Consumer Reports)Duracell for $84.54 right now.
Peace... (y)

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have replaced dead batteries in three different cars in the past three years and purchased Costco batteries all three times. They are significantly less expensive than anywhere else, and all have offered excellent service so far. One fact about batteries that is not as well known as it should be, is that there are only 3-4 places (if that) in the United states that even make car batteries. So, you might shop for batteries of different "brands" at several different places that are actually exactly the same thing.

One question I do have: I wonder if the Idle-Stop System adds additional stress to the battery? My old car engine was started maybe 5-6 times a day tops. With my metro commute and traffic, I wouldn't be surprised if this new car is being started 20 times a day.
Unlike gas engine cars with start-stop, that rely on the 12 volt battery for re-starting, our Honda hybrids use the "second" electric motor/generator as the starting motor, driven off of the large hybrid battery. So the 12 volt battery plays no role in actually starting the car, other than powering the electronics that tell the car it is ready to be started.... (As well as keeping various sensors alive while the car is off....)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts