Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ryland L. Loncharich
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a custom exhaust developed, built and installed on my EX-L V6 Coupe. I absolutely love my exhaust - it sounds like a monster under load. On start up it sounds pretty close to a Nissan GTR and at full load around 65 MPH to 120 MPH, it sounds so similar to a GTR but I think it is slightly deeper in sound as the turbos on the GTR wind it up higher.

With that said, when I cruise around on the streets in traffic, I sit around 35 - 50 MPH and accelerate at a slow rate. Here is where my issue comes up. When I do slow accelerations from 35 - 45 MPH - I have a drone that actually makes my ears ring to the point where all sound is canceled. It is like a flashbang grenade went off and everything is silent except that ring.

I did a lot of research on this and it just comes down to a per person basis. The guys who did my exhaust have no issue with it and my girlfriend is totally fine in the car but me, I get the ringing sound.

If I gun through the 35 - 45 MPH speed or put the windows down while doing slow accelerations - everything is fine. Just every now and again I hit that drone that causes the ring.

The only thing I have found to improve this issue is Dynamat Sound Insulation. Has anyone had an exhaust drone issue that has made you go the Dynamat route to solve it? If so, how is it holding up and did it improve your problems with drone?

Right now it runs about 70 bucks a sheet of Dynamat installed. To insulate from rear seats back, I am looking at around 10 sheets plus some Egg Crate bedding to further stop vibrations (old trick people use to do that still works great today). It is a pretty expensive job to have done in hopes of the sound being drowned out so I am trying to find out if anyone has had this and If it worked for them.

I do have the option of just lining the trunk with Dynamat and Egg Crate Bedding which will probably take 4 sheets to do. I am leaning towards this route as it is far less expensive and I can start seeing if the results are there.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
So I had a custom exhaust developed, built and installed on my EX-L V6 Coupe. I absolutely love my exhaust - it sounds like a monster under load. On start up it sounds nearly identical to a Nissan GTR and at full load around 65 MPH to 120 MPH, it sounds so similar to a GTR but I think it is slightly deeper in sound.

With that said, when I cruise around on the streets in traffic, I sit around 35 - 50 MPH and accelerate at a slow rate. Here is where my issue comes up. When I do slow accelerations from 35 - 45 MPH - I have a drone that actually makes my ears ring to the point where all sound is canceled. It is like a flashbang grenade went off and everything is silent except that ring.

I did a lot of research on this and it just comes down to a per person basis. The guys who did my exhaust have no issue with it and my girlfriend is totally fine in the car but me, I get the ringing sound.

If I gun through the 35 - 45 MPH speed or put the windows down while doing slow accelerations - everything is fine. Just every now and again I hit that drone that causes the ring.

The only thing I have found to improve this issue is Dynamat Sound Insulation. Has anyone had an exhaust drone issue that has made you go the Dynamat route to solve it? If so, how is it holding up and did it improve your problems with drone?

Right now it runs about 70 bucks a sheet of Dynamat installed. To insulate from rear seats back, I am looking at around 10 sheets plus some Egg Crate bedding to further stop vibrations (old trick people use to do that still works great today). It is a pretty expensive job to have done in hopes of the sound being drowned out so I am trying to find out if anyone has had this and If it worked for them.

I do have the option of just lining the trunk with Dynamat and Egg Crate Bedding which will probably take 4 sheets to do. I am leaning towards this route as it is far less expensive and I can start seeing if the results are there.
There are equal or better than dynamat sound deadening out there but cheaper. I plan to do mine this spring. Stay away from tar? Based products. Stick with butyl.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
462 Posts
Guys, I used GT Mat. They are awesome. They have a few different tar type mats and then they have Butyl and a new one called Quadro. It is 2 layers of butyl with foil and another foam layer. I put a chunk in my door and it made a huge difference. I plan on doing the entire car along with my wife's odyssey this spring. Their customer service is awesome. Look into it. It is so much cheaper than Dynamat. I would say it is better than Dynamat as I have used both.

·
Registered
394 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, Dynamat is _not_ sound insulation, and was never meant to be used the way most installers use it, ie: to completely cover entire panels. Well, that is until Dynamat (and other manufacturers) realized that it was being used that way, and since it means selling so much more of the stuff, they started calling it sound insulation. It isn't. Dynamat was intended to be used to dampen resonance by applying pieces of it on panels to alter the frequency at which it resonates. For example, in a typical sedan installation of subs, the trunk lid often resonates at 80Hz or so. To fix this, (2) 8" squares of Dynamat (or similar) stuck to that panel would fix this.

Don't get me wrong, you can do this, but there are better materials and methods for sound insulation v. resonance damping. Spend some time Googling and reading car audio forums and look for threads and articles dealing with the subject of sound insulation, reducing road noise, etc. There's some really good stuff out there.

In the case of exhaust drone in the OP, the trick is to find out what panels are resonating, and apply the Dynamat to those parts...but you will only need individual squares of it, not complete covering. All you're going for is to change the resonant frequency of the offending panels to fix the drone. If you _also_ want to make your car cabin quieter, then see above.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Any sound clips?

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
You need MLV, not a sound deadener that reduces resonances. I'm not sure just how much an MLV barrier would actually help though. Being that it's exhaust, it's likely you'll need to pull up the carpet and install MLV throughout the entire floor area.

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
Another option is installing a resonator on the system, it will dampen the exhaust turbulence which is what your hearing as the drone.

·
Ryland L. Loncharich
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another option is installing a resonator on the system, it will dampen the exhaust turbulence which is what your hearing as the drone.
Problem with this is since the system is custom, its going to cost a lot. That was option #2 and runs about $500. In addition, the sound will change greatly from what they have told me.

Whether Dynamat is the best or not, I am just looking to change that drone the best I can and want to know if people have had success with it or not.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Here is a cost effective way. I know I'm going to be flamed for this buuuuut, go to Lowes and pick up some anti fatigue floor mat. It is a thick rubber and it is sold on a spool. I used it under the carpet in my Nissan and it really helped make the car quieter. I was amazed that for $30 the car was quiet. I also put a sheet of it under the rear seat and it also helped. Just an idea. Ok now I'm ready to be flamed.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Here is a cost effective way. I know I'm going to be flamed for this buuuuut, go to Lowes and pick up some anti fatigue floor mat. It is a thick rubber and it is sold on a spool. I used it under the carpet in my Nissan and it really helped make the car quieter. I was amazed that for $30 the car was quiet. I also put a sheet of it under the rear seat and it also helped. Just an idea. Ok now I'm ready to be flamed.
You're adding mass but there are better materials to do it with. For example, Home Depot online sells 32 sq ft of mass loaded vinyl intended for home wall installation for $30. It works perfectly fine in the car and best of all, free shipping over $45 which is important since this stuff is very heavy. That $30 goes pretty far to get a lot of surface area covered.

The OP will likely have to go a lot further than just his trunk if he wants to effectively reduce the sound without mechanical changes to the exhaust system itself. Note that this stuff will add considerable weight to your car if you go too crazy and so will affect your acceleration times, if you care about that.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts

·
Ryland L. Loncharich
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Ryland L. Loncharich
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
462 Posts
You're adding mass but there are better materials to do it with. For example, Home Depot online sells 32 sq ft of mass loaded vinyl intended for home wall installation for $30. It works perfectly fine in the car and best of all, free shipping over $45 which is important since this stuff is very heavy. That $30 goes pretty far to get a lot of surface area covered.

The OP will likely have to go a lot further than just his trunk if he wants to effectively reduce the sound without mechanical changes to the exhaust system itself. Note that this stuff will add considerable weight to your car if you go too crazy and so will affect your acceleration times, if you care about that.
I am ordering that stuff soon. I need to do my wife's odyssey this spring. That seems like a better alternative than what I was using.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts