Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I went out to collect datalogs for my etune when I noticed the tachometer only reaching ~6550 RPM before it would shift automatically (CVT using paddles) rather than the 7500 Rev limit thst it's currently set at. Is this just the tach not keeping up with real-time RPMs or maybe another issue?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
It's your CVT doing the shifting.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Right, but my tuner set the limit to 7500, shouldn't it be shifting then?
Your tuner didn't tweak how your CVT shifts. Mine didn't either. So, the CVT will shift what it was programmed from factory.

Btw, who is your tuner? Mine was set to 7200 rpm as there is no additional power created after 6300 rpm. When my CVT "motorboats", it does it the most optimal RPM, where I make the most power.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your tuner didn't tweak how your CVT shifts. Mine didn't either. So, the CVT will shift what it was programmed from factory.

Btw, who is your tuner? Mine was set to 7200 rpm as there is no additional power created after 6300 rpm. When my CVT "motorboats", it does it the most optimal RPM, where I make the most power.
That makes sense, but what's the point of changing the RPM limit? I'm being tuned by Vit, about 8 cals in.

·
port & polish everything
1,677 Posts
The data log is probably pretty close to the instantaneous value.

Just like a manual, any auto transmission controls the peak rpm before the rev limiter has any effect. The tranny has it's own processor and software which controls shift points.

For the K24W and particularly for the CVT, the rev limit matters little since pretty much all dynos show peak power is 6000 rpm.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
5,294 Posts
FWIW the manual rev limiter caps RPMs at 7,000. Yes, even though my tach shows red at 6,800. Shift at WOT when the tach hits 6,800 and you don't hit the limiter due to lag, wait a hair longer and the limiter kicks in before the tach hits 7,000.

Jay

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Don't feel too bad, OP. My V6's limiter was raised to 7100 with KTuner, but the transmission shifts anywhere from 6200-6500 at WOT. At least coupe owners get to enjoy those extra revs, since they either have paddle shifters (which let you hit the limiter with the 6AT) or a 6MT.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
That makes sense, but what's the point of changing the RPM limit? I'm being tuned by Vit, about 8 cals in.
Good question. Unless you have mods that shift the torque curve higher and raises the rpm at which the engine produces max power, I can see no benefit. And if you want max acceleration stop using the paddle shifters! They only slow the car. Let the transmission hold red line.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good question. Unless you have mods that shift the torque curve higher and raises the rpm at which the engine produces max power, I can see no benefit. And if you want max acceleration stop using the paddle shifters! They only slow the car. Let the transmission hold red line.
Makes sense, the only mods I have are intake + pcd.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts