Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Do you use/like early spool on your tune?

• Yes I currently run it and enjoy it

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No I don't run it now but I did before

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never tried it

Votes: 2 66.7%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Accord Sport 2.0T
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I have been running the base map included with KTuner (Stage 2) since I bought the car. For the past year I have been running Phearable's Stage 3 tune and I have been loving it. When I first put the tune on my car I disabled "early spool" - "Early Spool starts the turbo spooling process sooner than factory adding additional low end and mid-range. It greatly improves overall drivability and does well in combination with the Part Throttle Turbo Responsiveness Quick Adjustment."

I wanted to revisit the options on the tune so I enabled early spool. No real issues with it, KControl values are fine - but I want to know who here is also running early spool on ANY tune and what your experience/prefernece has been with it.

Thoughts?

·
More cars, more problems
435 Posts
My tuner had it enabled in my tunes, so if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2020 Accord Sport 2.0T
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My tuner had it enabled in my tunes, so if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me 🤷‍♂️
Same here!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I also have been thinking of the same thing. First did you notice any increase in power with it on? I turned it off because of the negative things guys were saying about the way the car drove with the stage 2 tune and it turned on. All the videos I see everyone loading the tune as it comes meaning they all have it turned on. So after driving with it did you notice any of the things they complained about. like a stuttering feeling at low RPM> Car feeling jerky? More vibration when they stepped on the gas. Not shifting right or shifts feeling hard. Is the tune just as smooth with it on or can you tell any difference between the 2. Thank you.....They are different tunes stage 2 vs 3 so was hopping it was smooth with 3 because it is bringing on the boost differently...

·
Registered
2020 Accord Sport 2.0T
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also have been thinking of the same thing. First did you notice any increase in power with it on? I turned it off because of the negative things guys were saying about the way the car drove with the stage 2 tune and it turned on. All the videos I see everyone loading the tune as it comes meaning they all have it turned on. So after driving with it did you notice any of the things they complained about. like a stuttering feeling at low RPM> Car feeling jerky? More vibration when they stepped on the gas. Not shifting right or shifts feeling hard. Is the tune just as smooth with it on or can you tell any difference between the 2. Thank you.....They are different tunes stage 2 vs 3 so was hopping it was smooth with 3 because it is bringing on the boost differently...
If it is worth anything I’m still running it with Early Spool enabled. The car can be a little more touchy at times since the turbo is spooling up earlier than usual. This setting basically disables the artificial delay from Honda. From all of my research I’ve done it’s completely fine to use and it boils down to a preference kind of thing. I’m likely going to keep it enabled for the long term. After a few days of driving with it I’m used to it. Also reminder that whenever you flash the ECU the computer needs to re learn everything so give it time to even out if you don’t like it during the first 30 minutes of driving after flashing.
So overall I like it. Try it out for yourself is my best response and if not just revert back. Hope this helps.
I will note that I just had my transmission fluid drained and filled and things are much better in terms of shifting after that. I also had been going to the dealer for oil changes and they DO NOT use full synthetic oil but a synthetic blend. So I also got an oil change running full synthetic 0W-20. All is good here.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Thank you for that detailed explanation. That is great to know. Did you change your throttle response or the throttle padding? Or are you running it as it came. Max throttle and Soft padding. Thanks

Reactions: LulzChicken

·
Registered
2020 Accord Sport 2.0T
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for that detailed explanation. That is great to know. Did you change your throttle response or the throttle padding? Or are you running it as it came. Max throttle and Soft padding. Thanks
My throttle response is not increased. So it is NOT max throttle. I imagine that would be hard to control. So I’m at the least throttle padded option with soft padding.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I am the same except medium on the padding. After a lot of time and messing around I could feel a difference but could not figure what it was changing with changing the padding so I emailed K-Tuner. Here is what it really does. It slows down the on to off OR off to on of the throttle plate. And it does this at any RPM. Its not a delay but a slower rate at which it moves. I tried standard and its very direct feeling. Soft kind of numb. But I tried with no early spool and throttle response at stock speed so I could get a true feel without that making it harder to feel. With no early spool stock response with padding on standard or medium its almost to slow. But im going to flash it first just as you have it. I am glad it does make the car more responsive to throttle input. If I want a little more I would change the padding to medium before I went up on the response. GREAT info.

·
Registered
2020 Accord Sport 2.0T
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I typed a more detailed response but it messed up and didn’t post. Summary is give it some time once you flash with early spool. Drive for a few days and see how you feel about it. Do you recommend changing the padding? What direct differences do you feel? It seems like more padding would lessen the response. Default option should be the most responsive right?

EDIT: isn’t padding for manual only? Or no.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I asked both questions. Padding works on manual and automatic. Medium or soft padding is usually used on manual car when you disable rev hang. The car can be a little jerky in the lower gears going on and off the throttle. Manly Civic guys use this. There is a ton about it in there forum. Soft refers to slow. And standard padding (factory) is he fastest. I asked K tuner does it work on a automatic and he said yes. Since they come MAX throttle AND early spool there trying to smooth it out by adding padding slowing the throttle plate. Thats my best guess. Thats why stage 2 comes with padding set to standard. He said he would not add it to a automatic but thats just him. Padding slows the throttle plate and soft describes the speed. Here is a link talking about it. Standard is more reponse. I felt it but do to the description I was being thrown off. I felt it more responsive in standard but thought like you soft was the most aggressive. So thats what made me send the email to ask about it.

·
Registered
2020 Accord Sport 2.0T
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you! I’ll give this info a look over. Let me know what you think of early spool.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I got home flashed it and drove around for 20min. All I can say is wow. For me this changes the car so much in a good way. I have had K-Tuner ever since I had 500miles on my car bought it new. And I tried ALL the adjustments turbo spool, turbo ramp, turbo response and throttle response in every kind of combination with stage 2 and never got what i was feeling for in the throttle and car. Always with early spool off since I first uploaded it. Then I did stage 3 and better than 2 still not the right feel. Always again with early spool off since the start. Stage 3 tried all the throttle padding and throttle response combinations and learned a lot about each but still not perfect. Always a delay. Im at stock throttle medium padding and it feels great. This option should come turned on and locked in all the tunes. Car is not right with it turned off. Honda has a bad delay programed in there. Thank you so much for making me try this and starting this thread. All the guys on the other forum and on this forum should have never turned it off with stage 3. It makes it so much more responsive. 95% of people wont know because they flashed there car with it turned on. If you want a little more change padding to medium or standard and nothing else.

·
Registered
2020 Accord Sport 2.0T
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got home flashed it and drove around for 20min. All I can say is wow. For me this changes the car so much in a good way. I have had K-Tuner ever since I had 500miles on my car bought it new. And I tried ALL the adjustments turbo spool, turbo ramp, turbo response and throttle response in every kind of combination with stage 2 and never got what i was feeling for in the throttle and car. Always with early spool off since I first uploaded it. Then I did stage 3 and better than 2 still not the right feel. Always again with early spool off since the start. Stage 3 tried all the throttle padding and throttle response combinations and learned a lot about each but still not perfect. Always a delay. Im at stock throttle medium padding and it feels great. This option should come turned on and locked in all the tunes. Car is not right with it turned off. Honda has a bad delay programed in there. Thank you so much for making me try this and starting this thread. All the guys on the other forum and on this forum should have never turned it off with stage 3. It makes it so much more responsive. 95% of people wont know because they flashed there car with it turned on. If you want a little more change padding to medium or standard and nothing else.
I agree with you and I’m glad you tried it man! I read about the feature and most people turn Early Spool off. To me they shouldn’t have an I just turned it off on every tune like you did. Decided to try it one day and it’s much better turned on. And no you won’t blow your engine up. It just gets rid of the delay programmed into the stock Honda tune. Are you running automatic or manual car? Also do you recall what the stock padding option is for the Stage 3 tune? I can’t check right now but I might change that from whatever it is to medium if you like it. What difference can I expect with padding changed from the stock option to medium?

·
Registered
584 Posts
My car is a automatic. Soft is where they have it set for stage 3. Going up to medium or standard will make it a little more responsive in the pedal. Nothing crazy but the throttle plate will open or close a little faster the more you go. Medium is where I am now and it lets the transmission drop down a gear with a little less effort. Medium seems to be the best between all 3. Not jerky but just a little more direct feel. You can even try standard. It runs great there as well. But have not tried it with the early spool on. I am going to give it some time but medium and standard felt the best a shifted the best when I had the early spool off. Loved my drive to work today!!!

·
Registered
2020 Accord Sport 2.0T
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My car is a automatic. Soft is where they have it set for stage 3. Going up to medium or standard will make it a little more responsive in the pedal. Nothing crazy but the throttle plate will open or close a little faster the more you go. Medium is where I am now and it lets the transmission drop down a gear with a little less effort. Medium seems to be the best between all 3. Not jerky but just a little more direct feel. You can even try standard. It runs great there as well. But have not tried it with the early spool on. I am going to give it some time but medium and standard felt the best a shifted the best when I had the early spool off. Loved my drive to work today!!!
Thank you! I know what I’ll be trying today. Will let you know how I like medium padding. Glad you’re enjoying Early Spool and thanks for all of your input!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Let me know what you think as well. Good or bad the more we try different settings and get what the other feels the more I can know. Because I have not ben on soft and if you think it feels better there let me know. Same thanks for the help. If medium is not enough try standard. YOU have helped so much.

·
Registered
2020 Accord Sport 2.0T
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I flashed with Stage 3, early spool, and medium throttle padding and I like it. Seems to make quicker shifting decisions, especially on the downshifts. I'd like to mess around with Standard too, since it's the "most aggressive" option. You decided on medium though, right, even after trying standard?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Have not tried standard only because giving the car and me a few days to get use to it and the car time to come in. But I will for sure be trying it over the weekend. Standard was where I was at before I started turning on the early spool so I will for sure try standard. I am pretty sure that is where I will end up. I just went with medium since it was between what you were at and below where I was at but like I said I was running standard before turning early spool on. The shift logic was the best with standard. Now you see the difference thats cool.

·
Registered
584 Posts
When you flash it to standard let me know how it feels.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Have you tried standard?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts