Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few requests, here is my $5 and 10 minute set up for my Galaxy Tab 2 7" - fastened to the lower cubbie of my '07 sedan.

I wanted to fit a tablet in my ride REALLY bad, but I didn't want to (or wasn't willing) to do anything that might jeopardize the stock look. *I don't need my interior to scream "break into me" ...

With the lid of the cubby open, you can clearly see the two side mouldings the tablet will end up resting on ... I'm not sure about other 7" tablets, but the Galaxy Tab 2 7" fits in here like it was designed for this space.

I went to a local craft store and picked up some 4" black velcro strips with "industrial strength" adhesive on the back - $4.89 for the pack of two 4" x 2" strips.

I cut one of the the velcro (hook side) strips into 4 lengths, and notched the right and left sides before fixing in to the sides of the cubbie.

The next thing was cutting the fuzzy side of the velcro, and the part to pay attention to when lining these up is that you want overage from the flat part of the back right around the curve for the best "stick" or adhesion of the two velcro sides.

Then set the tablet, and give a slight push against the velcro to ensure it sticks.

I'll be setting Maps, Netflix, TunedIn, and Torque to the lockscreen as the short cuts soon enough ...

And there it is, one very slick, very inexpensive, amazing easy DIY to have a 7" tablet in the lower pocket ...

Now, just keep in mind that from the outset I didn't want something permanent or fixed, I wanted a setup that was easily removable with no trace of a modification when the car is parked on the street downtown.

For a power solution, I'm using a 2.1 amp car charger with USB port stowed inside the arm rest ...

It's cord has the micro usb end to also charge my phone ...

If this helps even one fellow member decide to move forward who's been thinking of fixing a tablet somehow, then the 10 minutes to take the pictures and write this thread were worth every second.

·
2006 I4 MT
1,690 Posts
I've got the same tablet. That spot is too low. You must take your eyes off of the road too much to view it. There is at least 3 of us on here with this same tablet that uses it while drive :)

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To each their own 2006accord4, FWIW I said in the OP I was asked for the info - so I provided a write-up with pics ...

Regardless - I listen to the turn by turn anyway, so I'm not glued to watching a GPS screen instead of the road ahead. I find the location works really well, for me. Obviously not the case for others.

Besides, no matter where a GPS is mounted in the car, you're still taking you eyes off the road (even if slightly) to look at it ...*same with looking in the rearview mirror, the side mirrors, checking a blind spot before merging ... changing the radio station, adjusting the venting ...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Thanks for this OP. Will be doing this first thing when I get back home. :biggrin:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Excellent post. I wanted to get the Nexus 7...

Your tablet is 7.6 x 4.8 x 0.41 and the Nexus 7 is 7.9 X 4.5 X 0.34, and from those pics it already looks like a snug fit, so idk if an extra 3/10 of an inch will break my heart that much more.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you charge it while it's in there?
To be honest mate I haven't needed to charge it yet since it's been on car duty, it will be pretty snug with the connector on - but I'll upload a pic with it plugged in when I have the chance tomorrow. I could always Dremel out some material from the cubbie to make room for this - but that'd be a back-burner project.

I was planning on just plugging it in and holding it in the armrest during a work commute, cause with a 2.1 amp plug it's going to charge fairly quick. *it does my Galaxy S4 from 0-100% in under 2 hrs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
hey Bobbo, thx for the write up.. I've been meaning to put my tablet (samsung galaxytab 3) in the car as well... just one question, is there a way to keep the tablet on constantly? my screen shuts off every few minutes and there doesn't seem to be a way in the settings for "never turn off screen" or anything like that...

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
829 Posts
Nice write up, this is a great idea. One question, how much is the internet plan you use with this?

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey Bobbo, thx for the write up.. I've been meaning to put my tablet (samsung galaxytab 3) in the car as well... just one question, is there a way to keep the tablet on constantly? my screen shuts off every few minutes and there doesn't seem to be a way in the settings for "never turn off screen" or anything like that...
If your in an app, like Torque or Maps, your screen should not but turning off at all ... The setting you're looking for (for when you're idle at the home screen) would be called "screen time out" under "display" , I have mine set to 30 minutes (max setting) long enough for the work commute.

Nice write up, this is a great idea. One question, how much is the internet plan you use with this?
The Tab 2 I'm currently using doesn't have it's own cellular signal, I just "wifi hotspot" off my Note 3. I don't run the "map" app all the time, so I've never gone over my phone's 6gb monthly limit. The ELM 327's bluetooth connection doesn't use "data", it's just a straight bluetooth connection with the tablet. And that's what is running 90% of the time it's turned on.

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
829 Posts
Gotcha, very cool indeed. Looks almost factory. Enjoy it.

·
O-H-I-O
203 Posts
The Tab 2 I'm currently using doesn't have it's own cellular signal, I just "wifi hotspot" off my Note 3. I don't run the "map" app all the time, so I've never gone over my phone's 6gb monthly limit. The ELM 327's bluetooth connection doesn't use "data", it's just a straight bluetooth connection with the tablet. And that's what is running 90% of the time it's turned on.
Bobbo, are you still using this setup? Can you open the change drawer and the other power outlet with the tablet there? How much is the 'Torque' app you mentioned and what all is it telling you while you drive?

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bobbo, are you still using this setup? Can you open the change drawer and the other power outlet with the tablet there? How much is the 'Torque' app you mentioned and what all is it telling you while you drive?
I actually stepped up the setup ;

Both upper and lower tablets are still "wifi" , but I carry a wireless access point in the armrest (it's bundled on my cell plan) instead of using my phone's hotspot.

I'll be replacing the upper tablet soon, since the battery pooched ... eBay buyer beware right ?!?

To answer your questions, yes, when the lower tablet is in place I can still use the change pocket, and can still plug a small size adapter into the plug.

The Torque app is free, and Torque Pro is less than $3. You can pretty much display anything on it ... here's my current custom page ;

Reactions: beardohio

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know it has been a while since you posted this originally so I went hunting for the OBD II blu tooth adapter and that particular model is no longer available. Anyone know a decent quality substitute which will work with the Torque app?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts