Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

eBay Fog Light Harness

19K views 70 replies 12 participants last post by  RussianH2O 
#1 ·
So the horror stories I've heard and read were worse than I thought. It's simple enough but I'm fairly new.

This is a borrow picture from a fellow DA member.

I have the same problem, where does the brown plug white wire and the other grey plug red wire go ? I'm so lost. I looked under and I just gave up. If I can manage to I want to splice to my parking light wire so they flash when I lock and unlock. I've looked through MANY DIYs and it just becomes beyond confusing.

Also, where do I mount the relay ? DIYs simply say to mount it, but where ?

OEM Harness is my last result, I'm trying to keep this cheap. I have a wire cutter, and can hopefully learn to wire and splice if possible. I've also heard of running the wires by splicing them to longer ones but I want to avoid that.

See less See more
#2 ·
Cut off the brown and gray connectors. You won't need them. Wire the white wire to the battery and the red wire, splice into the parking lamp wire. You will probably have to extend the white wire like I did, to wire to the battery.

Edit, I just zip-tied my relay somewhere safe under the dash.

#3 ·
So how would I go about running the white wire to the battery ?

The red wire I understand I simply have to splice into the parking lamp. But once I extend it where do I attach it to exactly ?

And the relay doesn't screw somewhere ? I plug it into the white ended plug (black for some kits) but theres a hole on the other end that seems like you can screw a bolt through.

#4 ·
I believe what Thaiphoon is saying is that you attach the white wire to the positive terminal of the battery (i'm sure you don't need directions on how to extend the wire and strip its end :)). At the battery you can buy a battery post terminal or you can just loosen the terminal bolt and wrap it around the bolt thread so that when you tighten the bolt it holds the wire in place.

As for the relay I'm sure you can find a spot to screw it in but you're probably going to have to drill the hole yourself.

#5 ·
Yep, Yal is right on the spot. Thanks man! :)

I didn't get a chance to explain in detail exactly what I did. But I soldered one of these battery loop connectors to the end of a longer wire extending the white wire.

As for the relay, it doesn't necessarily have to be screwed somewhere to work. As long as you secure it in a safe location, you should be good to go.

Not sure if this would help, but here's a diagram I made a long time ago..

You may also have to extend the other wire to connect to the foglight harness outside. I had 2 wires going through the firewall.

#6 ·
Actually I do not know how to extend a wire exactly haha, sad I know. I know how to strip it I have the wire stripping plyers for that.

I found the battery loop connectors at an advanced auto parts but what guage do I get ? There was also a pack for one dollar more that came with 3 quick splice pieces as well. Should I get that ?

#7 ·
What I did was, I stripped the end of the wires to expose about maybe half an inch to an inch of metal wiring. Then I used a soldering tool to solder both ends together with soldering iron and applied heat shrink wrap over it to protect the wiring.

I can't exactly remember what gauge I got, I think it was either 14 or 16, but as long as you go bigger, I don't think you'll have any problems. What do you mean by quick splice pieces?

#8 ·

Solderless quick splice connectors, there was like 4 of these in the pack.

I just don't have a soldering iron so I was trying to get around that.

Edit - were you able to easily get off the radiator cover ? The 2 damn screws, not the pieces you remove with the flat heads, but the screws on the top right and left corner, they will not come out no matter how much i turn them.

#9 ·
Oh ok, the wire taps, haha, duh, I should have known that. :)

Well, I'm not entirely sure, but you could probably get away with using them to extend a wire. Maybe someone can chime in? I only used one of those to splice into the parking lamp wire.

#10 ·
if you can get your hands on some T-taps it'd be better, but those connectors in the pics above will work ok too.

the radiator cover screws on top are hard to get off, a lot of times it doesnt unscrew so you have to pry it off somehow.

i have a DIY on the forum about how to hook up the exact same harness

#12 ·
So the wire that connects the foglight wire harness to the switch harness was long enough so I connected them together.

I extended the white cable, which was 18 guage, with a 14 guage red cable to the POSITIVE battery terminal. Secured that.

Next I found the red/black wire, its very thin it looks like its a 20 guage, used a splice connector shown above to splice that to a 14 guage wire which I connected to the red wire after I cut off the grey plug.

Finally, connected the switch and after 6 hours of labor, IT DOESN'T WORK.

#13 ·
Sounds like you did everything right. Same thing happened to me too, I did everything right and it didn't come on. I used a random battery to wire directly to the fogs to test if it worked, and it did.

The thing that got me was the ground for the fogs. Where are you connecting yours? I tried to ground mine near the frame of the car, but it didn't work, so I had to go deeper, right at the frame near the opening of the hood.

#15 ·
That's really weird. Does the switch light up? If the switch lights up, there shouldn't be any problem with that. Do you have a voltage tester to see if you can check if any current is coming through the wires?

Maybe you can try this.. use a battery backup with positive and negative terminal clamps and connect them just to your fogs, make sure they light up.

Another thing, I was at walmart today and saw these, didn't know they were available (not my hand btw, google pic).

They're called wire butt connectors, looks like they're used to extend cables with heatshrink wrap outside. Good alternative to soldering. Maybe the wire tap you used isnt providing enough current?

#16 ·
I have those butt connectors, my dad has more knowledge of wiring and believes the heat shrink wrap butt connectors aren't good enough and won't generate a good enough connection.

The switch does not light up so I am going to use a voltage tester tomorrow to see what's going on.

Sadly I do not have a back up battery.

Here's a few shots of the fog lights, the ground, the switch harness to the foglight harness, and the connection to the battery.

#17 ·
First off, nice pics! What camera is that if you don't mind me asking.

If you want, I can get some detailed pictures of everything that I exactly did. I should have taken pictures of my relay ground and the actual splicing to the parking lamp wire. I sealed it up before I was able to take good pictures.

I'm amazed that your fog connection and relay connection made it that far. I couldnt even get them to connect so I cut off the plug, extended the wire, and the connection is actually under the radiator cover instead of next to the battery like yours.

I'm not entirely sure, maybe someone can chime in. If the switch doesn't have power, can it prevent the fogs from lighting up? I grounded my relay different from yours, I actually used the screw hole (the one you remove to take out the panel under the steering wheel).

#18 ·
I have a feeling you spliced into the wrong wire for the parking lights, double check it with a multimeter

#19 ·
Haha thanks man, it's a Canon Rebel XTi. Quite old now. I'm looking to upgrade to a Canon Rebel T2i.

I really pulled to get my wire to extend, just a matter of where you put the wires, I ran it under the intake valve instead of the far right side like everyone else.

You think changing my ground to that screw would work ? You're talking about the single screw that secures the panel under the steering wheel right ?

And yes I have that feeling too since my switch is not lighting up what so ever.

Can someone please tell me again in clarification where the parking light wire is that I need to splice into ?

And if you can man, those pictures would help a ton !

Name's Tommy right ?

#20 ·
Hrm, I had a hard time finding the wire to splice myself. I'll take a detailed picture tomorrow and possibly update my DIY for more clarification. It was a really thin, solid black wire, with a thin red line going through it vertically. I couldn't find it at first, but after looking for a good while, I was able to locate it.

Yeah, that first screw that you take off to take off the panel underneath the steering wheel. Just make sure the metals come in contact and it should be a strong enough ground for the switch.

Yep, name's Tommy. And you're Brandon? Just making sure. Are you Vietnamese?

#21 ·
Dont have a pic but I can give you a good idea, according to online wiring diagrams its:

"PARKING LIGHTS ( + ) RED/BLACK (+) @ TOP of FUSEBOX, LARGE WHITE Plug "

#22 ·
Crap, red/black wire going to white plug above fuse box....that's what I spliced into.

I'll try that ground next, and yup, Vietnamese.

If you go this guy, he's a member here on DA, scroll down on his cardomain and you'll see that he tapped into the fuse. Idk what he did with the red wire though.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2967369/3

Btw if my switch isn't even lighting up, does that automatically mean there's a problem with the wire I spliced the red wire into ?

#23 ·
Cool, cool. I'll get a pic for you, man. I'm pretty sure that's the only wire in the large white plug above the fuse box that is black/red. Thanks jagboy!

#24 ·
Another option is to splice into the 12v cigarette plug lighter, but you have to disassemble the center console to get to it.

#26 ·
Haha, but what if you want to go HIDs in the long run? :D It's funny you said that, my fogs don't flash whenever I press the lock/unlock buttons on my keyfob. I wonder what's wrong..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.