Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
YEE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
basically it came down to two sellers that i have found on ebay.

thespoilercompany and carparts-123. What do you guys think?

If i buy a spoiler off ebay, is it necessary for me to get a springs for the trunk because its not really oem? kinda confused about that...

thanks.

·
'06 Coupe EX V6/6MT
1,603 Posts
You don't HAVE to get the springs, but I'd highly recommend it. The wing, OEM or Aftermarket, adds a significant amount of weight to the trunk lid, so it closes VERY hard from any more than about 6" - even just being dropped. The hard force of banging closed can break the wing (I'm told). I don't have the springs, so I just make sure to drop it from 1-2", and it works for me.

·
'06 Coupe EX V6/6MT
1,603 Posts
I'm pretty sure I bought mine from carparts-123 too, and several other members also from him, it's a pretty decent quality item.

You will definitely want to drill holes in the trunklid to mount it, it's too heavy for double sided tape to hold it very long. the OEM drill holes are not in the right place - don't waste effort drilling those, use the template that comes with it.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
Without the heavy duty tension rods (springs), your trunk lid won't pop up a few inches because the wing spoiler is heavy. They are needed to hold the trunk lid up, and make it easier to open.

·
YEE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
In fact, I have bought a wing spoiler for my 05 accord coupe from thespoilercompany. However, the color of the spoiler is more bluish comparing to the car's original graphite pearl paint. It's at most 90% match. (Yeah, I am picky) Also, it did not come with a template, only came 5 strips with holes. Does any of yours come with mismatch color too? Should I just return it?
:confused::confused:

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
In fact, I have bought a wing spoiler for my 05 accord coupe from thespoilercompany. However, the color of the spoiler is more bluish comparing to the car's original graphite pearl paint. It's at most 90% match. (Yeah, I am picky) Also, it did not come with a template, only came 5 strips with holes. Does any of yours come with mismatch color too? Should I just return it?
You bought aftermarket, so you got what you paid for. If you want the paint to match exactly, with proper installation instructions, you must get an OEM spoiler.

·
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!
5,667 Posts
I got my trunklid lip-spoiler from thespoilercompany. Perfect color-match, no blemishes or defects, easy to install (using he 3M VHB mounting tape that already comes affixed).

Changing the trunklid spring will allow it spring-up when remotely opened. Otherwise, it'll only rise up a few inches w/ the new spoiler attached. However, even w/ the new spoiler attached- the trunklid will stay up on it's own if left that way.

You bought aftermarket, so you got what you paid for. If you want the paint to match exactly, with proper installation instructions, you must get an OEM spoiler.
When dealing w/ vehicle that is over 6 years old, no aftermarket or OEM spoiler is going to be a perfect color match. The vehicle's paint has faded due to age, sun/UV, air/environment, etc.

My Accord was delivered to the dealer in February '08. I bought my Accord in April '08. I bought my aftermarket spoiler in May '08. It was a perfect color-match to my Accord. However, I installed it in September/October of '08 (after a full spring/summer of driving). I noted the spoiler was ever-so slightly darker than the Accord, it was rather noticeable. By next spring/summer of '09, the spoiler once again a match to the Accord.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts