Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used Akebono ProAct Ceramic Pads for a long time, but they were out of stock when I had to replace the fronts on the 07 so I went with the EBC Redstuff, based in large part on the good reports on here and many reviews citing low noise. I installed them in late November, 2013, on my wife's DD. Since then, she's put about 15,000 miles on the car, mostly commuting on the interstate, and she is "spirited" in her driving style.

Recently she began complaining about loud, embarrassing noises (from the car) when braking. It happens at low speed and sounds like some rotating parts are interfering when the pedal is applied. It was clear the fronts were at fault. I did a quick inspection and found plenty of pad (>50%) and no uneven wear. Investigating further, I removed the two screws holding the caliper and lifted it easily off the bracket - no evidence of a frozen caliper.

As soon as I did that the shim on the inboard pad fell to the ground, The pad was so badly corroded the shim was unattached. The same thing happened when I checked the other front corner.

While I think I found the cause, needless to say I am very disappointed in the lack of durability. I'm doubly disappointed because the pads have been very well behaved otherwise. I might even prefer them to the Akebonos, until this.

When I replace the pads, I 'll post pics.

I'm also complaining to EBC and I'll report back on any response.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have not, in over thirty years of northern winters with at least two cars on the road.

·
RacerRik
172 Posts
Were the shims covered in brake grease when they were installed. The grease prevents motion, noise and corrosion between the pad and shim. You want the entire surface coated with a super thin layer. The grease then acts almost like glue holding the shim firmly in place on the pad.

·
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were the shims covered in brake grease when they were installed. The grease prevents motion, noise and corrosion between the pad and shim. You want the entire surface coated with a super thin layer. The grease then acts almost like glue holding the shim firmly in place on the pad.
The shims were mechanically attached to the metal sides of the pads as received, so looking it it edgewiase, it would be piston---grease---shim---metal backer plate--- pad.. I did coat the shim with brake lube upon installation for exactly the reasons you identified. When my ProActs come in I will post pictures of the Redstuffs. The outboard pads look normal (fine) and the inboard pads are heavily rusted.

·
RacerRik
172 Posts
You really need grease between the shim and metal backer plate as well as between the backer plate and the pad. Not sure if you had that based on your description.

·
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update -

I feel much better about EBC today. I would not hesitate to recommend them to others or use them myself.

EBC responded to my e-mail the same day they received it. Let me say I am very impressed with their responsiveness and their demonstrated willingness to stand behind their product. EBC tells me this is not something they come across very much. Based on the number of positive comments on this forum and other places from EBC owners, their claim makes sense.

Perhaps most importantly, EBC wants me to mail the pads to them at their expense to their production engineers in the UK for a post mortem. It's great to see a company committed to continuously improving their products.

RacerRik -

It wasn't possible to apply lube to the backing plate side of the shims. It's my experience with many pads that the shims are attached at the factory. As the EBC engineer said in his reply to me:

. . . I can’t tell you exactly what happened with the adhesive used to bond the shim to the backing plate . . .

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
That is scary I wish you had some pictures of what happened. I never tried EBC personally.

That epoxy should of held up. Can you imagine if the car was tracked. The extra heat may have cause a catastrophic failure.

I can see why ebc wants to see those pads.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts

·
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pictures as promised. You can see there's lots of life left on the pad surface (first photo), but the isolation shims lost adhesion to the inboard backer plates (second photo). From the looks of it, I would say the paint lost adhesion to the metal, because there is a layer of rust firmly attached to the shims. Some similarities to the photos in drowned12's links.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts