Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a question I find conflicting answers to, so, I will ask you guys.

If driving solely around town, would that be an appropriate time to use the ECO mode on the Accord 4-cylinder? I def. notice a difference in acceleration with it on and off, but was just curious.

Should this be saved for highway driving, only?

(BTW, love Love LOVE the Sport mode with ECO off, BUT, my MPG does not... )

·
Registered
333 Posts
I never use the ECO mode except on long trips mostly hwy, I don't find it helps the MPG much at all especially since I end up flooring it getting frustrated with the muddy throttle response. JMO tho.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I keep Econ mode on all the time except when I get into a hot car and want to cool it off fast. Econ mode doesn't let the compressor cool down as cold. Sometimes in cities I'll turn it off to get better peddle response, but living in the country, I keep it on almost always and also use cruise control constantly, doing most speed changes with the cc buttons.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I guess ECON does something, but I have yet to notice any real difference when using ECON mode. Maybe I'm just an efficient driver in either mode (wishful thinking).

I tried driving both ways (on & off), but notice nothing other than a placebo effect when paying attention. When not paying attention I forget which mode I'm in. Everything seems to function the same.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I don't know if it does anything. I leave it on most of the time. In freeway traffic I take it off 'cause I change lanes a lot and need the throttle reposnse. I take it off when in cruise and approaching a hill or when passing cars since it is very slow to speed up when cruise is on. My MPG seems to be pretty good.

·
Reverse Gear
999 Posts
What does ECON Mode really do? I'll put some things down here that I either read, or I believe. Please refute the things that are wrong and add your own ideas.

1. I feel like the accelerator peddle has more resistance and therefore requires a more determined right foot. (my unsubstantiated opinion)
2. It limits the fan speed on the climate control - the higher fan speeds (on a hot day) will allow the A/C compressor to stay on constantly and this uses more gas. A lower fan speed will theoretically allow the compressor to be off at least some of the time.
3. it keeps the transmission in a higher gear (when not in sport mode, the part in parenthesis is opinion) which will decrease acceleration and therefore increase MPG.
4. It messes with the air/fuel mixture/timing to reduce horsepower and increase efficiency (my unsubstantiated opinion)

To answer the OP's question though, 1-3 aren't going to help you much on the highway, so unless 4 is true, ECON won't add much benefit.

EDIT: Just noticed that the OP has a 8th Gen. My comments apply to 9th Gen.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
ECON mode's primary function is to dull the throttle response so you are less likely to burn excess fuel accelerating from a stop or at a slower speed. It won't do much on the highway other than tweak the HVAC system. I never use it in my car because I can't stand the numb throttle from a stop.

·
Registered
106 Posts
1. I feel like the accelerator peddle has more resistance and therefore requires a more determined right foot. (my unsubstantiated opinion)
- I don't think it changes the resistance of the peddle but merely remaps the throttle response to make it less sensitive to peddle position.

2. It limits the fan speed on the climate control - the higher fan speeds (on a hot day) will allow the A/C compressor to stay on constantly and this uses more gas. A lower fan speed will theoretically allow the compressor to be off at least some of the time.

-It's not really a matter of the fan speed. An A/C compressor always cycles on and off to maintain a certain pressure in the system and thus a temperature coming out of the vents. Econ mode just lowers that max pressure a bit so the air is not quite as cold. In other words it cycles off more often.

3. it keeps the transmission in a higher gear (when not in sport mode, the part in parenthesis is opinion) which will decrease acceleration and therefore increase MPG.
4. It messes with the air/fuel mixture/timing to reduce horsepower and increase efficiency (my unsubstantiated opinion)

-I think they always keep the mixture at an optimum setting for all the conditions of the engine and environment. Econ just deadens the throttle response so you don't gun it so easily.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Econ mode, according to my sales guy - will give you about a 5% boost in MPG.

So think about it - if you're getting 32 MPG econ mode should bump you up to 33.6. Given that MPG's will vary based upon the driving conditions there's really NO way to verify this unless you have access to some sort of lab environment.

You can drive the same route for a week with it on, test your MPG's, then for the next week drive the same route with it off and test your MPG's and guess what - it's meaningless data! There are too many variations in daily driving ranging from ambient temps to wind to traffic variations that will skew any test like that.

That said - econ mode will have the biggest effect in city driving as it will deter you from the jackrabbit starts that waste fuel. On the highway it's probably negligible as you're going to cruise at the same RPM's at 65 with it on or off and the savings from lowering the AC cooling won't add up to much of anything.

If you don't like the "parachute" effect of driving with it on then turn it off and leave it off - you're still going to get damn good mileage if you know how to drive.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 9th Gen - need to update the signature. Thanks for the reminder.

So I did some testing today with it on vs off. With it off, acceleration is definitely quicker than with it off. I noticed when driving in the city, at the same speed on a flat road, with it off, around 35 mph (I enabled cruise to ensure consistent throttle), rpm was around 2250. When I pushed the button, it dropped to around 1700. I did this back and forth and with each activation / deactivation of ECON mode, and noticed the same result.

So, it's better in city then highway. That's what I needed to know. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I hate eco mode. I actually get better mileage with it off. I overcompensate because the lack of throttle response is frustrating.

But i have a manual so it doesn't really do anything other than respond very slowly to the first half of pedal travel.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I used to use the ECON mode more when gas was over $3 a gallon. I do get about little better milage but not enough to make up for the slower throttle response.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used ECO mode on my 15' V6 EXL Coupe, and accelerating slowly, not mashing the pedal and I barely noticed the fuel gauge drop. But it got boring real fast..

So I turned it off, started mashing it more and it's waaaay more fun but I def noticed my needle drop haha. I am too used to having a lead foot.

Regardless of ECO mode being on or off, it mostly comes down to your driving style, being aggressive will def hit your mpg hard, and vice-versa.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Through the city I find ECON to be a pain especially when you need to speed up quickly, also I don't really see any difference in MPG. However on long highway trips I've found a substantial difference in MPG with ECON on. Once or twice a month I travel to Cape Breton Island from Halifax, it's a 250 mile trip each way. Typically I've averaged 33 - 35.5 MPG with ECON on, with it off 29.5 - 32.5.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Here's a question I find conflicting answers to, so, I will ask you guys.

If driving solely around town, would that be an appropriate time to use the ECO mode on the Accord 4-cylinder? I def. notice a difference in acceleration with it on and off, but was just curious.

Should this be saved for highway driving, only?

(BTW, love Love LOVE the Sport mode with ECO off, BUT, my MPG does not... )
Eco mode helps in all driving conditions. I'd recommend if for the highway especially because of the way it improves cruise control acceleration.

What does ECON Mode really do? I'll put some things down here that I either read, or I believe. Please refute the things that are wrong and add your own ideas.

To answer the OP's question though, 1-3 aren't going to help you much on the highway, so unless 4 is true, ECON won't add much benefit.

EDIT: Just noticed that the OP has a 8th Gen. My comments apply to 9th Gen.
1. I don't feel it.
2.absolutely
3. Probably maybe. Idk, I have a 6mt
4. I don't think so.

On the highway using cruise it makes the car use much less fuel. I'd bet that it's greater than the 5% figure mentioned elsewhere in this thread. Definitely check out how cruise control goes up hills with and without the Econ mode.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I leave it on most of the time - it does increase the pedal resistance / reduce hard acceleration. I think it is most useful in city / stop and go driving. When you take it off it is like a power button.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts