Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
'13 Sport CVT white
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking recently that it would be a good idea if the econ button were located somewhere easy to access without taking your eyes off of the road.

For instance, sometimes when pulling out onto a busy road where there isn't much room between cars, it's nice to be able to quickly squirt out into traffic without nailing the throttle and then once you get nearly straight in your lane, goose it so you can get moving fast. If you are in econ mode, the first 1/2 of the throttle is so mushy it makes merging onto a busy roadway like this a little sketchy.

I think it would be cool if the econ button were on the shift stalk, possibly mounted low on the left of the shifter so you could hit it with your thumb in a pinch. That way you wouldn't have to take your eyes off the road to find it. I find the stock placement of the button a bit hard to locate.

I know someone's going to say "why don't you just leave the 'econ' button off?" Point taken, but it does save a few bucks.

TomZ

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I was thinking recently that it would be a good idea if the econ button were located somewhere easy to access without taking your eyes off of the road.

For instance, sometimes when pulling out onto a busy road where there isn't much room between cars, it's nice to be able to quickly squirt out into traffic without nailing the throttle and then once you get nearly straight in your lane, goose it so you can get moving fast. If you are in econ mode, the first 1/2 of the throttle is so mushy it makes merging onto a busy roadway like this a little sketchy.

I think it would be cool if the econ button were on the shift stalk, possibly mounted low on the left of the shifter so you could hit it with your thumb in a pinch. That way you wouldn't have to take your eyes off the road to find it. I find the stock placement of the button a bit hard to locate.

I know someone's going to say "why don't you just leave the 'econ' button off?" Point taken, but it does save a few bucks.

TomZ
If your car has the paddle shifter you can down shift which takes the transmission into Sport mode which I think suspends the Econ mode. Or move the gear selector to Sport.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was thinking the same thing this morning driving to work - location of the button is a bit hard to get at quickly. Since I have no paddles, I switch between sport, drive, and then drive with econ on. Econ it on the highway and usually it's no big deal to hit the button, but it would be nice to have it better located.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
If your car has the paddle shifter you can down shift which takes the transmission into Sport mode which I think suspends the Econ mode. Or move the gear selector to Sport.
I leave it on econ to save $$ as well and I drop to Sport on the rare instance I need a boost in power. This is way more effective than turning off econ and results in a lot more power when needed. A better location for the econ button would be nice too. Some have said if you go past a certain % on the throttle, it automatically exits econ although I have not read that anywhere.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think it would be cool if the econ button were on the shift stalk, possibly mounted low on the left of the shifter so you could hit it with your thumb in a pinch. That way you wouldn't have to take your eyes off the road to find it. I find the stock placement of the button a bit hard to locate.TomZ
:thmsup:

The current location is horrible :confused: Come to think of it that is the same place the sunroof button was on our 2007 EX-L V6.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm fine with the location because I never use the button. It's always off and it doesn't save anything if you are already driving efficiently.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Honda should put two buttons on the steering wheel, fast and furious style yo! A green one for Econ and a red one for vtak!

·
Banned
5,773 Posts
I leave it on econ to save $$ as well and I drop to Sport on the rare instance I need a boost in power. This is way more effective than turning off econ and results in a lot more power when needed. A better location for the econ button would be nice too. Some have said if you go past a certain % on the throttle, it automatically exits econ although I have not read that anywhere.
WOT

Honda should put two buttons on the steering wheel, fast and furious style yo! A green one for Econ and a red one for vtak!
'Too soon junior'

I'm fine with the location because I never use the button. It's always off and it doesn't save anything if you are already driving efficiently.
I drive very efficiently (see my sig). The ECON button works. Gearing is different, 'shift' points are different, climate control acts different, those are things that add to the fuel economy that you cannot control by driving efficiently.

I've done plenty of A-B-A testing with my Torque app and OBDII Bluetooth adapter with ECON on and off on the same daily routes with the same driving methods/style. ECON ON is consistently 5-15% better fuel economy.

·
Registered
884 Posts
if you're in need of that little extra power to pull out you probably shouldn't pull out then.... just saying... it isn't that big of a difference.
Sorry lol

Attachments

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
WOT is pretty extreme to get it out of econ. I would think 60-70% but I don't know sh!t from shinola. I just drop to S and gor for it.

I loved my '87 300E with the gated shifter. No gear buttons to press, no paddles, no side movements, just flick the gear lever straight down from D to 3 and unleash the fury of the I6, 3.0L, 2 valve, 177HP 188 ft lbs and motor past anything on a two lane road. It is amazing how responsive that car was given the weight and HP, great engine and gearing makes a difference. I hate the Mercedes V6 (German 6 cyl should be an I6) , BMW has stayed true to a straight 6, methinks the only one remaining on the market (not counting the superb Ram Cummins Diesel).

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
:thmsup:

The current location is horrible :confused: Come to think of it that is the same place the sunroof button was on our 2007 EX-L V6.
What a ridiculous place for a sunroof button, same for our 05 Ody IIRC. Let GM try to pull a stunt like that and they get excoriated, Honda/Toyota get a free pass on everything.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
What a ridiculous place for a sunroof button, same for our 05 Ody IIRC. Let GM try to pull a stunt like that and they get excoriated, Honda/Toyota get a free pass on everything.
Same place as the sunroof button on my 2000 Accord Coupe.

Mentioning the sunroof, this is the only Honda I have owned that has a sunroof without the manual crank port at the rear of thr headliner. The port allowed you to use the jack handle to crank the sunroof closed if the motor failed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I never have issues with the location I never have to look for it and can hit by feeling as the button is different then the others and has an unique shape then the other buttons in that area of the car. Of course the dash confirms if I turned it on.

·
'13 Sport CVT white
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will try that next time... hit the left downshift button right before I pull out.

WOT

'Too soon junior'

I drive very efficiently (see my sig). The ECON button works. Gearing is different, 'shift' points are different, climate control acts different, those are things that add to the fuel economy that you cannot control by driving efficiently.

I've done plenty of A-B-A testing with my Torque app and OBDII Bluetooth adapter with ECON on and off on the same daily routes with the same driving methods/style. ECON ON is consistently 5-15% better fuel economy.
I didn't know it took matting the accelerator to bypass econ, good to know.

I've not tested it as you have, but I see a difference by leaving it in econ mode for sure. Drive around with the air on in econ, then turn it off and the fan spools up higher, accelerates with better throttle response, etc. Econ does much more than just numb the gas pedal.

if you're in need of that little extra power to pull out you probably shouldn't pull out then.... just saying... it isn't that big of a difference.
Here was the scenario from this past Sunday. After church my wife and I go to Taco Bell to eat. Pulling out on a busy road is tricky because traffic doesn't let up in either direction for long at all, and there is no light, and I'm going left.

So you see a hole, and you go. Speed limit there is 40 mph so it's not like everyone is flying by. You need to see your spot and head out. But I don't like to just nail it when I'm going to be turning 90 degrees to the left. I want to get moving crisply, without wheel hop on road transitions, potholes, etc. without matting the go-pedal and flying out of the driveway. Then when I'm just about parallel to the road in my lane, then punch it a bit more and get moving to respect the person coming up behind me.

The dullness of econ mode makes it difficult to move out crisply in those intermediate situations where you don't want to charge out full speed, but don't want to feel like your emergency brake is still on if you know what I mean.

I never have issues with the location I never have to look for it and can hit by feeling as the button is different then the others and has an unique shape then the other buttons in that area of the car. Of course the dash confirms if I turned it on.
Maybe it's where I sit in the car or the fact that I'm tall, but I never seem to be able to find it without looking for it with my eyes. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to relocate it somewhere else actually, I've had that panel out and there's just a few wires connecting it, I bet the wires could be extended to another location.

I'll give hitting the downshift button right as I'm pulling out a try to see if that does the trick, I haven't tried that before that I recall. Good idea, and it's easy to find that button!

TomZ

·
Registered
202 Posts

That's not what I've seen. I tried the econ button several times and there's no statistically significant improvement for me. Sometimes I even get worse economy with it on, but that's because other factors like traffic light timing, wind direction etc. matter more than whether the button is on. The gearing is the same on the highway, it may just be slightly different during acceleration, but the throttle is dulled too, so it's hard to compare. Climate control blows less with it on, that's the only thing I noticed. I've read it affects cruise control, but I don't use it. With the CVT, gearing really depends on your foot. And the climate control load depends on how you set it. So yes, you can do everything the econ button does manually.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.