Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed a little test to satisfy my own curiosity. It’s far from scientific and I’m sure you guys can shoot it full of holes but anyway…

I engaged the ECON mode and filled my tank last week without topping it off. I drove my usual routes all week until the Low Fuel indicator came on at 347.3 miles. I then refilled my tank at the exact same pump that I had used the previous week and again, didn’t top it off. This time I turned the ECON button off and drove the same routes as I had the week before. With the ECON button in the off position, I went 340.5 miles before the Low Fuel indicator came on; a difference of 6.8 miles. I should also mention that the weather hadn’t changed very much from one week to the next and I made sure that the air pressure in my tires hadn't changed either.

There may be major flaws in my testing method but as far as I can tell, there’s not a significant difference in driving a V6 in either mode.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Do you use cruise control a lot? I find that the Econ button makes a big difference in how aggressive the cruise control acts. With Econ off, it will use a lot of throttle to maintain speed whereas in Econ mode, it will more lazily approach the desired speed. I keep it on while I'm cruising in cruise control. I turn it off when warming up the car on a a freezing day, cause I find it warms up the cabin faster with Econ off.

·
To me my board!
115 Posts
My very unscientific research has shown that the difference in fuel economy with and without the ECON mode is negligible but the difference in performance is very noticeable. I've stopped using the ECON mode and see no reason to ever use it.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I have run similar tests with full tanks along the same routes and found the difference between the Econ mode on or off to be a small amount. Your results seem to be about the same as mine.

Check out www.fuelly.com and search for 2013 Accords and you will see about the same results.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Do you use cruise control a lot? I find that the Econ button makes a big difference in how aggressive the cruise control acts. With Econ off, it will use a lot of throttle to maintain speed whereas in Econ mode, it will more lazily approach the desired speed. I keep it on while I'm cruising in cruise control. I turn it off when warming up the car on a a freezing day, cause I find it warms up the cabin faster with Econ off.
agreed. this is where it can make a difference, especially if you set cruise in rolling terrain or routes with a lot of semi trucks going slow. There's no need for ECU to jab at the throttle.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It makes very little difference if you drive the car the same way.

Econ just forced you to drive with better fuel management. It numbs throttle response which encourages you to accelerate slower.

I've had it off since week 1.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't use the Econ mode at all and didn't get much better gas mileage with it on. I do drive to get as good of gas mileage as I can but I like having the power of the v6 when I want it. I took a pretty big step down in power when I got this car, but love the reliability of honda and the good gas mileage considering the power.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have 22,500 miles on my 2013 - i have done many tankfuls comparing the two modes. The difference for me is negligible. Maybe 1 mpg on avg.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I usually use my Econ mode during cruise control on the highway and turn off while sitting in traffic. Econ mode can be really sluggish while accelerating. It only made about 2mpg difference when using econ on and off.

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
I average 2mpg better with Econ mode on, but it definitely effects acceleration too. So on hwy trips it goes on, city driving it stays off

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I think Honda claims it will get you a 5% increase in your mpg - you shouldn't expect a major difference.

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
I think Honda claims it will get you a 5% increase in your mpg - you shouldn't expect a major difference.
5% at today's gas prices over 100,000 miles @ 30mpg will save you $1,750... Just saying

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
:paranoid:

It would cost $11,700 to travel 100,000 miles @ $3.50 a gallon and 30mpg.
Your right, comma in the wrong place when doing math. Corrected, thanks

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I should have also mentioned my cruise control use in the OP. I would say that I had my ACC on for probably 20% of the time each week.

Now that I know that there's no real difference in terms of economy between the two modes, I'll be leaving the ECON button switched off because the car definately accelerates better without it and feels sluggish with it turned on.

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
I should have also mentioned my cruise control use in the OP. I would say that I had my ACC on for probably 20% of the time each week.

Now that I know that there's no real difference in terms of economy between the two modes, I'll be leaving the ECON button switched off because the car definately accelerates better without it and feels sluggish with it turned on.
Of course the ECON button has no effect when the ACC is active... It's automatically deactivated when ACC is on (even though the leaf light may be on). The Econ mode would interfere with the ACC otherwise. Plus, if your trying to get the most MPG you should never use any cruise control. Cruise control will use some engine braking down hill (less mpg) and does not manage speed properly for optimal MPG... Even ACC.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Plus, if your trying to get the most MPG you should never use any cruise control. Cruise control will use some engine braking down hill (less mpg) and does not manage speed properly for optimal MPG... Even ACC.
I'm gonna ask for a citation on this claim. Check out the section on testing cruise control (among other factors covered in this informative piece):

http://www.vnutz.com/articles/Improve_MPG_The_Factors_Affecting_Fuel_Efficiency

The punchline: the tester is way more variable in how much pressure he puts on the gas than is the cruise. He doesn't break down his own fuel savings in the test run, but he cites Edmunds tests that clock between 7% and 14% fuel savings using cruise control.

The only caveat is on hilly terrain (which you point out), but not all terrain is hilly. Otherwise, where do you get the idea that cruise doesn't "manage speed properly for optimal MPG?" If you're on flat terrain, your foot is going to be a lot more variable in maintaining speed than is the computer, and you lose efficiency whenever you have acceleration and deceleration cycles.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts