Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Honda Accord 2001.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2001 honda accord 4 cylinder.
When I got this car it would shake real hard. real quick while i was on the highway and the x1000r/min indicator would go crazy i think this is callled surging. i thought it just needed an oil change so when i got one and it had gone away. but now it feels like its holding back like its not pickin up the way it should. So i checked my check engine light and it shot p0401 but i been reading and people are saying only v6 get that .

So dose the surging i had earlier have anything to do with the EGR?

How do i fix the drag too?

Pictures would help more too thanks.

P.s. i have automotive experience just terrible at explaining stuff :D

·
Registered
247 Posts
p0401 wasn't just v6 engines, it's all accords. Really, all cars, after a certain amount of time, have this problem. If you search EGR clean or look up a youtube video on cleaning out EGR ports, there's plenty of step by step how to's with detailed pictures/videos. Many people have had this problem. I don't know why an oil change would have temporarily fixed the problem though, that's rather strange.

·
Honda Accord 2001.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@sodaks2k its funny you replied to me because i just seen your forum not to long ago.

Did you actually replace anything or it was just the clogging?

·
Honda Accord 2001.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@sodaks2k Is there anything to prevent it or you just have to continue to watch it? and on the 3rd picture on your blog is that a different port or is that the same port? if so how many are there i thought it was just 1.

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
NO way to prevent it. My car had 170k when my light came on. I sold it with 219k and never had the lights come on again before I sold it. THere's only one port. The 3rd picture is of the valve cover. The fifth picture is the same but cleaned.

·
Honda Accord 2001.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea i figured all that out as i went, I actually made a youtube vid out of it, thanks for all the help . Ima seafoam it to be extra clean and it should b good. thanks again.

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
Wow really why?, so do you think i should just leave it?
I ASSumed the seafoam loosened a bunch of carbon (like it's supposed to) and a bunch of it got trapped in the EGR runner. Or it had nothing to do with it at all and it just coincidentally threw the code after using seafoam.:dunno:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I personally don't like the idea of seafoam, I mean, engines are designed to handle some amount carbon buildup. So why put some liquid into the engine what loosens all of it up and sends it god knows where else to muck up? I wouldn't do it until it was really causing more serious problems, probably closer to 200k, if I even have my car until then.

·
Super Moderator
4,655 Posts
I seafoam my car every 3rd oil change or so. Doesn't seem to hurt anything. And if it doesn't work, at the very least I like to make big white clouds of smoke and scare all the neighbors, LOL.

·
Registered
247 Posts
the white smoke is pretty fun, yeah. I don't know, I guess if you do it often enough it works, but the first time you do it I feel like all the dislodged carbon will clog up something else, since there's so much of it.

·
Super Moderator
4,655 Posts
If somebody puts pictures up of that, I'll give that person mad props!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts