Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I'm playing a video game, I think my 5 year old cousin can turn the steering wheel.

Is their anyway to tune down the pump, making the wheel harder to turn? It feels way to light.

Also, when driving in heavy snow, I avoid sudden/fast steering wheel movement like its my job. This makes fine control a lot harder.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
I'm pretty sure that there is no pump, as the Accord has electric power steering.

I think that the steering is just fine. My 7th generation Accord was perfect I thought at the time, but I've adjusted quite well to the electric, which I think gives good feedback.

I remember the old days of power steering before rack and pinion steering became widespread.

Talk about light steering and plenty of play.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I feel like I'm playing a video game, I think my 5 year old cousin can turn the steering wheel.

Is their anyway to tune down the pump, making the wheel harder to turn? It feels way to light.

Also, when driving in heavy snow, I avoid sudden/fast steering wheel movement like its my job. This makes fine control a lot harder.
There isn't a pump as GradyPhilpott mentioned but I agree that the steering wheel is too light. I find myself making constant adjustments while driving. I think Honda will make improvements in time as they get a hang of the tech. I know I didn't have to make so many adjustments on my previous electric steering car or my other hydraulic steering cars.

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
It's a little light perhaps but I find it very steady, and when rolling down the highway at 85 it feels very solid and planted. I don't find the car wandering all over the place and I was a little worried before I bought it that I would. The system works well for me, and no PS fluid to change or leak.....

·
Jack of All Trades
14 Posts
The 8th gen, which is what I have, had light steering response in my opinion. I have test drove the 9th gen and i felt that the electric steering felt great.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think Honda will make improvements in time as they get a hang of the tech. I know I didn't have to make so many adjustments on my previous electric steering car or my other hydraulic steering cars.
They put their first EPS in the 1990 NSX.... so I think the statute of limitations is up on improving it. That said, I think it feels pretty good, especially considering the car it's attached to, and I think the 9th gen civic that also has EPS felt even better...

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I'm pretty sure that there is no pump, as the Accord has electric power steering.

I think that the steering is just fine. My 7th generation Accord was perfect I thought at the time, but I've adjusted quite well to the electric, which I think gives good feedback.

I remember the old days of power steering before rack and pinion steering became widespread.

Talk about light steering and plenty of play.
Good old recircularing ball! You could move the wheel 15deg either way before anything happened.

Jay

·
Registered
140 Posts
Actually, the new electric steering is the one thing which I do not like about the 9th Generation. Call me old school but I loved the hard taught heavy steering feel which my 2010 Accord Coupe gave. There was more feedback and at higher speeds it gave you so much more confidence. The new steering is too light at high speeds, imo. I wish they had given the option to turn off the electronic steering in the Sport model, but than it may not have been very feasible to do so.

·
Sexyland's Finest
112 Posts
At first, I felt it was too light, like others. I had trouble feeling the road, too, but eventually I just adjusted. I've put about 5000 on the new Accord and I feel more confident than I ever did with my 8th gen.

I tend to drive with my thumbs more often than not, now, too. However, thanks to the smooth action of this steering wheel, I've never had to use both hands. Even aggressive turns can be performed with one hand comfortably by rotating the palm as you turn the wheel; something that was quite uncomfortable in the 8th gen because more pressure was required to keep the steering wheel from slipping back.

·
Registered
148 Posts
They put their first EPS in the 1990 NSX.... so I think the statute of limitations is up on improving it.
Wow, didn't know that. Thanks although that may not bode well for the folks that find the steering too sensitive. What's crazy is that the NSX was perfect.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
All this is kind of funny because a few years back when the new Civic came out with EPS Consumer Reports hated the car, in part because of the vague EPS. Now when the 9th gen Accord comes out, Consumer Reports raves about it and, IIRC, doesn't have a word to say, up or down, about the EPS. Not that I'm a CR hater. I bought my new Accord largely based on CR's report, but the light steering is not my favorite feature.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Adjusting to it after being used to hydraulic assisted steering takes some time, but Honda has made it too light, especially for a front wheel drive V-6 with as much "umph" as what the Accord has.

Under hard acceleration it feels "squirrely" to me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Adjusting to it after being used to hydraulic assisted steering takes some time, but Honda has made it too light, especially for a front wheel drive V-6 with as much "umph" as what the Accord has.

Under hard acceleration it feels "squirrely" to me.
That's just torque steer! When you channel nearly 300HP to the wheels that do the steering, it's bound to feel "squirrely" under hard acceleration without some expensive suspension componentry.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
My 2000 Accord Coupe has regular rack and pinion steering with a fluid pump power steering system. Compared to the 9th generation it feels slightly heavier to steer especially at low speeds. The 9th generation Accord steering is lighter a low speeds but about the same at highway speeds. Getting rid of the weight and complexity of the power steering pump, fluid tank and all the possibilities of leakage makes electric power steering a great feature. My wife's 07 Fit was the first car I drove with electric power steering and it and the Accord have very similar feel.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It is too light. Fatter tires help.
I just bit the bullet and ordered the HFP 19" which I'll shod with summer tread. I'm going over to a summer/winter tire setup on the car, I'm done with all seasons. I'll either put snow tires on my 18" sport rims or sell them and buy a set of 17" EX rims and put snows those. And I agree the steering feels just a bit too lightly weighted for me.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts