Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all first poster here. Thought it would be a good place to start my troubleshooting.

I purchased a 2003 Honda accord a few weeks ago. I received it with a faulty radio (or so I thought). The radio back lighting was inop and not illuminating at all although I still had sound coming through the speakers. Nothing on the dash illuminates. I thought this was okay since It would be easy to install an after market radio. I did end up installing a Kenwood radio a week later and it worked fine for about a week and now I am getting the good ole' "PROTECT" error message on the front display.
I have researched this and have learned this usually happens when a speaker or a wire is shorted out. Right around the same time, the cruise control is now inop and so is the front passenger side window. I have also noted that the cab lights do not illuminate under any circumstance unless I physically press them, not when doors open etc. Seems to be a serious electrical issue, any ideas?

Mike

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi all first poster here. Thought it would be a good place to start my troubleshooting.

I purchased a 2003 Honda accord a few weeks ago. I received it with a faulty radio (or so I thought). The radio back lighting was inop and not illuminating at all although I still had sound coming through the speakers. Nothing on the dash illuminates. I thought this was okay since It would be easy to install an after market radio. I did end up installing a Kenwood radio a week later and it worked fine for about a week and now I am getting the good ole' "PROTECT" error message on the front display.
I have researched this and have learned this usually happens when a speaker or a wire is shorted out. Right around the same time, the cruise control is now inop and so is the front passenger side window. I have also noted that the cab lights do not illuminate under any circumstance unless I physically press them, not when doors open etc. Seems to be a serious electrical issue, any ideas?

Mike
Well, you bought a car that had a bad circuit board inside the OEM radio. It controls the radio LCD backlite and also the center console backlite too. The board costs $120 but it will cost about $300 labor to get it replaced. Honda extended the radio warranty to 7 yrs or 100K but it ran out for me too. I ended up paying for the part and Honda picked up the labor cost. I'd check fuse #6, #26 under the dash for your ambience ligts and passenger window motor. Check the interior light switch to make sure it is not off. I don't think anyone can help you with the new stereo because no one knows how you connect to the car electrical. It is possible that it may cause a short and blow out the fuses.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also might be worth checking the MICU - Multiplex Integrated Control Unit. Shares similar symptoms. It is built into the under dash fuse box.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts