Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tested this method of enabling phone book and other locked out functions while in motion on my nav equipped Accord and have found it to work very well.

I had to make this post in more than one part to allow picture insertions.

The parts required cost about $15.00 at most. The first is a GPS cable extension you can get here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HRS-GT5-Mal...871886895?pt=GPS_Antennas&hash=item5b01c7ac2f

The second is a DPST switch. I got one at Radio Shack. They have several styles. Amperage is not a factor.

Handheld power drill Tool Hammer drill Screw gun Machine

A switch is to be installed in the Vehicle Speed Pulse (VSP) wire (see diagram) from the PCM to the Nav radio and the Operation Restriction setting of the radio set to VSP. A switch must also be installed in the GPS antenna wire to prevent the radio from detecting motion using GPS data. A double pole single throw switch can be used to do both simultaneously.

Technical drawing Plan Text Diagram Floor plan

Remove the radio. There are more than one Youtube videos on it. One is here:
Please note that you do not have to remove the panels around the instrument cluster, only the panels to the left, above and below the radio. Also, the emergency flasher button wire connector must be removed first and the tab to press is on top and out of sight.

Vehicle Car Honda Honda cr-v Bumper

The VSP wire is the larger diameter red wire on the F connector. It is pin 7 (the diagram shows pin 10 and is in error) and it is next to a black wire of the same diameter. There is one other red wire on the F connector and it is a smaller diameter wire next to a green wire - that is NOT the VSP wire.

Electronics Technology Electronic device

Technology Auto part Fictional character

Continued...

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Continued...

Connect a length of wire to the VSP wire to allow a switch to be installed at your chosen location (see first picture). Thread the wires to where the switch will be before reconnecting the plug(s) to the radio. I placed the switch in the panel pictured to put it out of the way.

Electronics Wire Electrical wiring Technology Electronic device

The GPS cable extension should be measured and cut and terminals for the switch installed as well as a shield jumper.

Wire Cable Technology Electronic device Electrical wiring

Connect the VSP and GPS wires to the switch, attach all connectors to radio and reinstall radio and panels.

Technology Electronic device Electronics Cable Vehicle

Simultaneously press Nav+Menu+Back buttons for 3 secs. Press Return on touch screen. Press and hold Menu button for 3 secs. Go to page 2 of developer screen and select Operation Restriction and press Enter. Select VSP and press Enter. Select Return to get back to radio.

Electronics Multimedia Technology Electronic device Screen

Electronics Multimedia Screen Technology Electronic device

With the installed switch in the off position the radio will be unlocked. The navigation function will not track the car until the switch is turned back on but will restore tracking in about a minute when switched on. The switch really doesn't have to be on unless you want the Nav to track you on the map. As far as I can determine the VSP is only used by Nav.

So there you go!

· Registered
208 Posts
that really looks so much stuff to do, i thought itll be a bypass by configuring the system itself only but nice find on that one

· Registered
14 Posts
Just wanted to confirm. So if I'm reading it correctly, in order to use the system without any restrictions while moving, it require you to flip the switch which breaks the navigation, do what you got to do, and then hit the switch again in order to get the Navigation working again?

· Registered
2 Posts
When the switch is in the OFF position, are you also able to access full menus? While moving, settings and other screens won't let me scroll completely down, and I don't get to see the actual text messages I receive. Does this setup solve that problem, too?

Thanks!

· Registered
3,348 Posts
I know this is an old post, but...
Has anyone did this lately?
I have an EX-L with no Nav.
So I'll do everything minus the GPS antenna?

Thanks,
Alan
If you have 16-17 yrs, and have compass on screen, you do have gps antenna, that is what drives compass. At least in my 17 v6 non navi, I was able to install factory navi with no extra parts required but the factory nav unit.

· Registered
35 Posts
If you have 16-17 yrs, and have compass on screen, you do have gps antenna, that is what drives compass. At least in my 17 v6 non navi, I was able to install factory navi with no extra parts required but the factory nav unit.
Apologies.
Thanks for the reply.
I have a 2014 EX-L 2.4L with premium sound and no Nav. I don't remember seeing a compass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.