Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was trying to remove the rear stock suspensions and install the megans but one bolt would not come out and that was the stupid End Links. Every time I turned one side (the 14mm side) the whole bolt spun. I tried clamping the other side down with a vice grip and other tools but it kept spinning since it was round and then I tried putting a hex key in there and that stripped the inside while I was turning the bold. What are some methods of taking the bolt off??

Attachments

·
Banned
48 Posts
It's craZy. I had the Same issue and ended up stripping the Allen key nut. The only way I can remove mine is to cut it off and upgrade to new end links when I upgrade my sway bar

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
Vice grip the allen key end of the bolt really hard, use a wrench to undo the nut far enough to get a dremel with a cutting wheel in there. Alternatively you could try using a hammer and pounding a slightly bigger hex key into it.

And spray the thing with penetrating oil first. Leave soak 10 minutes before spraying again and leave soak another 10 minutes.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried pounding a bigger hex key into it and that didn't do much sooo I guess cutting it is the best option :/

I haven't touched the passenger side yet so is there a way to take it off without cutting it or should i stick with the allen key method and go slow and steady?

·
4,062 Posts
Always try the easiest option first, but don't forget the penetrating oil. Lubes and cleans off a lot of grit that might have built up on the threads.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
4,062 Posts
Ok I'll clean it up. Is WD-40 good enough?
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41858
^^in this thread, they say I might need to remove the end links. Has anyone done this without removing the end links? Or is it recommended?
Can't speak to installing coilovers. I only had to mess with the end links when upgrading my sway bar.

WD-40 isn't really good at anything. Lowes / Home Depot will sell PB Blaster which many people like. I personally didn't have much success with it, so I also have CRC Freeze Off which I got from Autozone. Walmart sells Liquid Wrench, etc.

·
Registered
268 Posts
try clamping the vise grips down really hard, or cut it off with an angle grinder and replace it. Even if you dont cut it, using the vise grips on it damages it anyway. they are like 15 bucks new i think...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd tried clamping it down...sadly it just wasnt hard enough. Instead of removing the end links, could I take out the camber arms and somehow lower the stock suspension out or do I have to take out the end link?

·
Registered
268 Posts
well now that youve clamped the endlink with the vise grips, its all scored up inside and should be replaced, but yes, you can get the stock suspension out without removing the endlinks, but removing them makes it easier.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
crap!! alrighty then thanks guys

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I was trying to remove the rear stock suspensions and install the megans but one bolt would not come out and that was the stupid End Links. Every time I turned one side (the 14mm side) the whole bolt spun. I tried clamping the other side down with a vice grip and other tools but it kept spinning since it was round and then I tried putting a hex key in there and that stripped the inside while I was turning the bold. What are some methods of taking the bolt off??
My 2 cents,

When it comes to suspensions, (end links, tie rods, ball joints, pitman arms etc) the best tools you can have are air tools and pickle forks. What I have done in the past is to soak the end link down with pb blaster, then with the pickle fork around the end link, apply tension to the joint to put it in a slight bind. But don't force it enough to damage the bushing. Then with an impact wrench apply quick bursts while pulling on the pickle fork at the same time. That usually does the trick and the nut will spin off.

Please note that I am going off my time as a mechanic back in my college days. I have not yet torn into my accord sport and seen the exact position you are in.

Anyway hope this might help!

Jake

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had to saw mine off with a reciprocating saw in between the nut and the washer, only my right side stripped out. When I ran into the same problem as you and many others did on my 08 Accord coupe. But I was ready for it because so many other members had the same problem also because of the rust in the end links, so many of them suggested that you buy new end link and bolts when you change your rear sway bar. The end links are very cheap but most honda dealers don't have them in stock. Good luck with it and be very careful with whatever tool that you use in that tight spot to saw it off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same happened to mine. I just bought Moog ones on ebay, much less of a hassle removing it from the suspension since no hex key is needed. They were $45 shipped for both driver and passenger side. Im going to try replacing it tomorrow.

On another note, I tryed getting the rear strut out with just removing the arms but the cable attached to the link was too short to allow clearance for removing the struts.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My 2 cents,

When it comes to suspensions, (end links, tie rods, ball joints, pitman arms etc) the best tools you can have are air tools and pickle forks. What I have done in the past is to soak the end link down with pb blaster, then with the pickle fork around the end link, apply tension to the joint to put it in a slight bind. But don't force it enough to damage the bushing. Then with an impact wrench apply quick bursts while pulling on the pickle fork at the same time. That usually does the trick and the nut will spin off.

Please note that I am going off my time as a mechanic back in my college days. I have not yet torn into my accord sport and seen the exact position you are in.

Anyway hope this might help!

Jake
I saw a video on the pickle fork. It looks like it really helps to keep that other side from spinning but it also damages it.....at the end of the day, I'm going to have to rip it off and buy new ones :(.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Same happened to mine. I just bought Moog ones on ebay, much less of a hassle removing it from the suspension since no hex key is needed. They were $45 shipped for both driver and passenger side. Im going to try replacing it tomorrow.

On another note, I tryed getting the rear strut out with just removing the arms but the cable attached to the link was too short to allow clearance for removing the struts.
ahh poop. Thanks for that. You really saved me some stress loll
:thumbsdow

1 - 18 of 18 Posts