·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,925 Posts
Crossovers suck.

·
Super Moderator
1,651 Posts
As I noted, Honda is already working on a new platform for C-segment and D-segment EVs which means I believe the Accord will at some point be a pure EV model when Honda stops manufacturing ICE Accords and ICE vehicles.
Apparently, GM is already working on a new platform for C-segment and D-segment EVs which will be used by Honda. ;)

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,925 Posts
A Cadillac.

·
Registered
740 Posts
"Slow train coming."
"Huh?"
"Reform, Lamar. Reform."
-The Wire

My family has owned Accords since 1980 (1980, 1984, 1991, 1994, 1998, 2003, 2012, 2015), so it's not hyperbole to say this model has been a major part of my life, but if it departs the brand? I mean, change happens. My 2012 is most likely my last Accord (in part owing to the dropping of the coupe design from the lineup). I think I shed more tears over the departure of the Prelude for what it represented than I would the Accord.

What would I buy instead? Nuthin'... 'cause my 2012 is going to be the very last car with an internal combustion engine on the road in the United States, if I have anything to say about it. :cool:

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
243 Posts
I think I shed more tears over the departure of the Prelude for what it represented than I would the Accord.
Was the Prelude really that good? I was born in 1999 so I wasn't really around with them, but I'd really like to have a car collection someday and they're on my list (just because I think they look cool). Along with a Del Sol, because my mom swears by her 1993 being the best car she has ever owned.

To answer the question and keep the thread on track, I'd really like a 4Runner, but even with the seat all the way forward, I'm still too short to see over the hood. My next choice would be an MDX or a CR-V. I've always been a fan of SUV's, but if Honda ever does go all electric or even all hybrid in the American market, I'd go with a Camry gas model.

·
Super Moderator
1,651 Posts
I've always been a fan of SUV's, but if Honda ever does go all electric or even all hybrid in the American market, I'd go with a Camry gas model.
Have you ever driven an EV? The low-end torque, instant response, smoothness, silence, low operating cost, and very little maintenance is intoxicating. :)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Was the Prelude really that good? I was born in 1999 so I wasn't really around with them, but I'd really like to have a car collection someday and they're on my list (just because I think they look cool). Along with a Del Sol, because my mom swears by her 1993 being the best car she has ever owned.

To answer the question and keep the thread on track, I'd really like a 4Runner, but even with the seat all the way forward, I'm still too short to see over the hood. My next choice would be an MDX or a CR-V. I've always been a fan of SUV's, but if Honda ever does go all electric or even all hybrid in the American market, I'd go with a Camry gas model.
Yes. Yes they were. My personal favorite was the 5th generation with the H-series engine, but as a child of the 80’s, I still remember falling in love with the 2nd generation Prelude when my parents were at the dealership buying their 1984 Accord.

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
243 Posts
Yes. Yes they were. My personal favorite was the 5th generation with the H-series engine, but as a child of the 80’s, I still remember falling in love with the 2nd generation Prelude when my parents were at the dealership buying their 1984 Accord.
The 5th gen is exactly the kind I want! I think they look great. I was planning to put a V6 in there but first I'm going to feel how the stock engine is, if it's really great, I'll keep it as is. I would keep everything else stock.

Have you ever driven an EV? The low-end torque, instant response, smoothness, silence, low operating cost, and very little maintenance is intoxicating. :)
Oh I bet! I have other reservations about EV's that I'm sure manufacturers will ease in some time. Mainly charging times, battery aging potential, and battery replacement costs. My alternative fuel of choice would be hydrogen, if it ever goes mainstream. I like how it fills quickly at a pump just like gasoline does.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Mainly charging times, battery aging potential, and battery replacement costs.
I saw a story a while back about Tesla's claim of "1000mph charging rate", which should mean that with the right charging station, you can charge up a 500 mile battery in 30 minutes. If that were the case, taking an EV cross country is effectively no different from taking an ICE. I found my endurance to be about 1000 miles per day at best, that was waking up in west PA at 5am (after sleeping at a rest area when I arrived late from CT), filling up in Ohio, filling up again in Effingham IL, and arriving in Manhattan KS at like 930pm. I stopped probably halfway through each tank for snacks and bathroom breaks. If driving an EV for that trip, you'd just time your charging with a long stop for lunch and to stretch your legs.

Personally, I drive about 60 miles per day for work, with a daily max of about 150 miles for errands, work, and/or visiting family in state. I wouldn't even be in the market for a 500 mile EV, but rather a 200 mile EV AND a regular car for longer trips. If you have room for a second car in the garage, a 500 mile EV is ludicrous IMO. All that extra weight for a battery that doesn't need to go below 60% if you charge at home. If I could get my current 2019 Sport as an EV, I absolutely would, just because I like a practical full size sedan.

I'd likely end up looking for a mid-size hybrid like the new Insight, which I stared at for an hour in the showroom while going over paperwork buying my Sport. That, or I'd try to get into a Civic Si with manual. I can eek out about 36mpg average across fuel tanks in my manual Sport that's rated for like 30. I imagine I could hit mid 50s in a hybrid of the same size. With the loss of the MT, I am no longer committed to the Accord, so I'd explore other options.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Although it may be a bit premature to have this discussion, it is a worthy conversation to have nonetheless. Car manufacturers seem to be moving away from basic sedan models, so I wouldn't imagine that we would see the Accord forever regardless. I'll probably be in the market for some sort of smaller or midsize truck. My 2006 Accord has about 170,000 miles on it, so it will last me a while longer, but I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't casually looking at the classifieds. Car prices can be quite high, so for a 20-something like myself, I probably will be looking at something 10 years old (at least) to avoid financing. I consider myself to be a manual snob, but I will somehow find a way to go on with life if my next vehicle is an automatic. The traffic is very problematic in my region, therefore an automatic might actually be a bonus.

·
Registered
740 Posts
The 5th gen is exactly the kind I want! I think they look great. I was planning to put a V6 in there but first I'm going to feel how the stock engine is, if it's really great, I'll keep it as is. I would keep everything else stock.

Oh I bet! I have other reservations about EV's that I'm sure manufacturers will ease in some time. Mainly charging times, battery aging potential, and battery replacement costs. My alternative fuel of choice would be hydrogen, if it ever goes mainstream. I like how it fills quickly at a pump just like gasoline does.
I’m pretty sure removing the H-series engine from the 5th gen Prelude is a local, county, state, and federal offense, carrying with it all the requisite penalties and shame. ;)

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
243 Posts
I’m pretty sure removing the H-series engine from the 5th gen Prelude is a local, county, state, and federal offense, carrying with it all the requisite penalties and shame. ;)
I guess I'll just have to leave it stock then, it's my only choice apparently :LOL:
Oil issues aside though, you gotta admit that Honda did make some great 4 cylinder engines!

·
Runnin' in the 90s
6,212 Posts
Was the Prelude really that good?
Yeah they're pretty cool :p

Every single person I've spoken to, who has owned any of the 5 generations of Prelude, absolutely loved them.

Kill the Accord, bring back the Prelude. The Civic is basically an Accord but like 2 inches shorter, and the CRV is an Accord but 2 inches taller. lmao

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,925 Posts
The 4G used the H series in all but the base S.

Kill the Accord, bring back the Prelude. The Civic is basically an Accord but like 2 inches shorter, and the CRV is an Accord but 2 inches taller. lmao
I agree, but the coupe car is dead. I would NEVER want a sedan Prelude.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Runnin' in the 90s
6,212 Posts
It would only exist as a coupe, since there would be no market for a sedan Prelude (the Accord coupe killed it in the first place). Preferably a V6 option and a very expensive AWD and/or 4WS option lmao

Make it the only manual Honda since they're killing manuals off in other models, just swing so hard in the opposite direction of the automatic CR-V baby mover crowd and take hold of the younger, childless, car enthusiast market.

I would actually buy a 2025 Honda Prelude if it were what I described.

Give Honda bros a car that's actually fast from the factory so people stop chopping up Accords lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
452 Posts
If Honda actually decided to make a (relatively) affordable sports model like the Prelude, I would be in line to purchase one! I mentioned before that I tend avoid financing at all costs, but I would certainly consider spending more for something that I actually want. A lot of current Honda products have gotten boring, at least from my perspective. The new Honda Accord is a nice vehicle, but it doesn't inspire me to go out and want to buy one. A new product that recaptures the magic of older Honda enthusiast cars seems like it would be a win-win. Obviously, there will be people who think it's a terrible idea for Honda, but it would certainly put a rest to the argument about whether or not the Accord is enthusiast friendly. The Accord doesn't want to be a "sports car" anymore and we shouldn't force it to be.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
6,212 Posts
So many other Japanese brands are embracing an enthusiast model, I don't understand why Honda hasn't past the one-off-ish Type R Civic.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I will go electric when they start getting better milage on a charge. I like to make trips that are a lot farther than they go. I don't want to be in the middle of Texas or such and trying to find a place I can plug my car in. For me the beach is over 500 miles away and it is the same thing. And no, I don't want a hybrid. Kinda defeats the purpose to me.

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
243 Posts
Make it the only manual Honda since they're killing manuals off in other models, just swing so hard in the opposite direction of the automatic CR-V baby mover crowd and take hold of the younger, childless, car enthusiast market.
Well, Toyota brought back the Supra (no manual option), so Honda could easily one up them in the JDM enthusiast market with something like this. I know it might not be the most cost-effective option for Honda, since like you said, now everyone in America wants automatic SUV's, but it'd def be cool to have.

Honestly, I have always loved the SUV body style since I was little, but this buying trend has sort of turned me off. I feel like if I don't do my part and buy another sedan, then they won't even be around for the next time I purchase. And I feel like the manual transmission is too far gone to be saved now- they're a gen-Z anti-theft device. My boyfriend and one of my friends are the only people I know who can even attempt to drive stick (boyfriend OWNS a stick), and another friend wants to learn, but has no one to teach him, since the two of them don't get along.
I'll be learning to drive stick myself soon, but I have no doubt that I will prefer a manual sports car. It sounds so engaging! It's like, I shall be one with the car! (until the clutch burns up because I'll need practice lmao)

·
Super Moderator
1,651 Posts
Well, Toyota brought back the Supra (no manual option), so Honda could easily one up them in the JDM enthusiast market with something like this. I know it might not be the most cost-effective option for Honda, since like you said, now everyone in America wants automatic SUV's, but it'd def be cool to have.
As far as Toyota goes...

The Supra likely wouldn't exist without the BMW Z4 on which it is based. The 86 likely wouldn't exist without the Subaru BRZ on which it is based. The Yaris likely wouldn't exist without the Mazda2 on which it is based.

Honda would likely need to share a platform and powertrain to bring back the Prelude as well. Since Honda is now in bed with GM, maybe we'll see a new Prelude and Beretta based on a shared GM platform and powertrain. :)

21 - 40 of 80 Posts