Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

Gearhead Girl 馃
As far as Toyota goes...

The Supra likely wouldn't exist without the BMW Z4 on which it is based. The 86 likely wouldn't exist without the Subaru BRZ on which it is based. The Yaris likely wouldn't exist without the Mazda2 on which it is based.

Honda would likely need to share a platform and powertrain to bring back the Prelude as well. Since Honda is now in bed with GM, maybe we'll see a new Prelude and Beretta based on a shared GM platform and powertrain. :)
Personally, I dislike GM because all of my friends with GM have had tons of issues, my coworker has her Equinox's check engine light come on literally every other week, and it's ALWAYS a new issue (no electrical bugs or anything that can be reset without needing a fix). I would not buy a Honda GM partnership vehicle, but it will be cool to see what comes out of it.
And I'm not sure if you've seen any of the memes and videos mocking the new Supra for basically being an almost rebadged Z4, but they're plentiful. It seems everyone wishes we could go back to the 90's MK4 Supra. My mom has the special edition hakone green 86 and the VIN sticker literally says "manufactured by Subaru"! This is her first Toyota and she jokes that it's not even a Toyota!

Super Moderator
I used to be a HUGE GM geek and loyal owner. I bought my first Honda of what would eventually become 11 new Hondas in 2006. I gave my parents and brother a hard time for years for buying Chevrolet vehicles until a few years ago I started having more problems with my Hondas than they did with their Chevrolets. I quietly changed brands and stepped away from the podium. ;)

The only GM I'd remotely consider buying is a Cadillac, but there aren't any Cadillac models that pique my interest at present.

Gearhead Girl 馃
I used to be a HUGE GM geek and loyal owner. I bought my first Honda of what would eventually become 11 new Hondas in 2006. I gave my parents and brother a hard time for years for buying Chevrolet vehicles until a few years ago I started having more problems with my Hondas than they did with their Chevrolets. I quietly changed brands and stepped away from the podium. ;)

The only GM I'd remotely consider buying is a Cadillac, but there aren't any Cadillac models that pique my interest at present.
Yeah, my parents just both switched from Honda to Toyota- my dad in 2019 and my mom in 2020. As the family gearhead, they asked me what they should buy, and I said, in 2020, not a Honda. In 2019, Honda had slipped to the middle of the pack in (potentially unreliable) consumer reliability polls, and while I take those with a hefty serving of salt, slipping so extremely from the top of the list to the middle was a huge red flag for me. Sounds like your experience affirms those consumer surveys.

Again, I would never buy anything GM, so if I can't get an older Honda next, then I'll be moving to Toyota. I'm a broke college kid with no money for repairs, and I'll probably always be in that mindset to keep my frugality, so I'll always choose to invest in a pricier brand first if the repair quantities and costs are typically lower than a cheaper up front make. I paid $9700 for a Honda that so far has only needed an oil change, and my friends paid around $5,000 each for Chevrolets that have since needed thousands in engine repairs. My coworker's Equinox has only been with her for about 5 months, and she's already saving for something new...

Super Moderator
If quality is important, many Mazda models are currently worth considering. The driving dynamics, quietness, and interior and assembly quality are very good. Where Mazda falls behind is fuel efficiency, slow infotainment systems with dated graphics, and packaging efficiency - a CR-V is a much more practical CUV than a CX-5, but not as powerful or upscale. I bought a new MX-5 Miata a year ago and it's had zero problems. I bought a new CX-5 about six months ago and it, too, has had zero problems. I was mildly amused to read the Consumer Reports reliability score for the MX-5 Miata was 95 - the highest of any make or model. The Colorado received a score of 37 - the lowest of any make or model.

Registered
Again, I would never buy anything GM, so if I can't get an older Honda next, then I'll be moving to Toyota. I'm a broke college kid with no money for repairs, and I'll probably always be in that mindset to keep my frugality, so I'll always choose to invest in a pricier brand first if the repair quantities and costs are typically lower than a cheaper up front make. I paid $9700 for a Honda that so far has only needed an oil change, and my friends paid around $5,000 each for Chevrolets that have since needed thousands in engine repairs. My coworker's Equinox has only been with her for about 5 months, and she's already saving for something new...
I agree, it's best to stay clear of GM if you're trying to save your money. A friend of mine has a 2009(ish) Chevrolet Impala, and it's absolutely one of the worst cars that I've ever seen. She got it a few years ago in college as cheap transportation, but it have been anything but cheap. It burns through gas and oil like it's going out of style, and sometimes won't start at all when she leaves work at the end of the day. I've had the displeasure of riding in it, and I longed to get back into an import. My aunt drives a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu that she bought new. So far, it's been a pretty reliable vehicle, but it feels extremely cheap inside. All of the touch points are hard plastic, and nothing seems to fit together all that well. Of course, it's had a fair share of recalls and service bulletins that far outweigh any Honda or Toyota product. I would be willing to purchase a Ford, as I think that they do a better job in the modern era than GM does, but we've had our fair share of lemons from Ford, too. Notably, a 1986 Ford Tempo, which was one of the earliest cars to have an onboard computer module that controls various vehicle systems. Of course, this system regularly went haywire, causing the car to constantly rev itself and die at stoplights.

To make a long story short (because there is literally no end to examples of complete failure on the part of domestic car manufacturers), you can't beat Honda or Toyota when it comes to quality. Even if you have to pay a little more, it will be worth it in the end. I'm on a 20-something budget, and having a $5,000 car that requires virtually no maintenance and gets 40 miles per gallon is alright with me.

Super Moderator
I agree, it's best to stay clear of GM if you're trying to save your money. A friend of mine has a 2009(ish) Chevrolet Impala, and it's absolutely one of the worst cars that I've ever seen. She got it a few years ago in college as cheap transportation, but it have been anything but cheap. It burns through gas and oil like it's going out of style, and sometimes won't start at all when she leaves work at the end of the day. I've had the displeasure of riding in it, and I longed to get back into an import. My aunt drives a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu that she bought new. So far, it's been a pretty reliable vehicle, but it feels extremely cheap inside. All of the touch points are hard plastic, and nothing seems to fit together all that well. Of course, it's had a fair share of recalls and service bulletins that far outweigh any Honda or Toyota product. I would be willing to purchase a Ford, as I think that they do a better job in the modern era than GM does, but we've had our fair share of lemons from Ford, too. Notably, a 1986 Ford Tempo, which was one of the earliest cars to have an onboard computer module that controls various vehicle systems. Of course, this system regularly went haywire, causing the car to constantly rev itself and die at stoplights.

Long story short, you can't beat Honda or Toyota when it comes to quality. Even if you have to pay a little more, it will be worth it in the end. I'm on a 20-something budget, and having a $5,000 car that requires virtually no maintenance and gets 40 miles per gallon is alright with me.
I stopped buying GMs about the time the 3.5L and 3.9L V6 engines went into the all-new 2006 Impala so I'm not very familiar with those engines, but the 3.1L, 3.4L, and 3.8L V6 engines that went into oodles of prior GM vehicles were extremely reliable save for some relatively minor intake manifold gasket leaks in certain years. I see lots of Impalas and Malibus die early because of improper maintenance - people who buy cheap vehicles tend to neglect maintenance. Even if your friend maintained it well, most of its life could have been used up by the previous owner(s). I'm certainly not siding with GM here - just trying to keep an open mind. :)

If reliability were my top priority, I'd be looking at Toyota or Mazda.

Registered
It would only exist as a coupe, since there would be no market for a sedan Prelude (the Accord coupe killed it in the first place). Preferably a V6 option and a very expensive AWD and/or 4WS option lmao

Make it the only manual Honda since they're killing manuals off in other models, just swing so hard in the opposite direction of the automatic CR-V baby mover crowd and take hold of the younger, childless, car enthusiast market.

I would actually buy a 2025 Honda Prelude if it were what I described.

Give Honda bros a car that's actually fast from the factory so people stop chopping up Accords lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
On the one hand, I doubt it will ever happen - the V6/AWD/4WS is basically the TLX, and I can鈥檛 see Honda harvesting from its own sales.

On the other hand, I鈥檇 buy the car you鈥檙e describing in a New York minute. Bigger than the Civic Si/Type R, but far more athletic than the Accord. Let it also be comfortable enough to fill the 2+2 grand tourer role, as the 4th and 5th gen Preludes could also comfortably eat up long distance miles. A proper antidote the countless jellybean-shaped SUV people-movers criss-crossing our highways.

Runnin' in the 90s
I believe the Prelude name, some interesting wheels, and possibly some fun paint/interior color options would set it apart from the TLX crowd.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Pilot without a plane
They brought back the Passport name so never say never.

As for what I would look for...if I was still trying to make a few bucks from driving a few miles:

9th gen v6 coupe with a manual (yeah, good luck)

Another 7th gen v6 coupe manual with low-ish miles, maybe less than 200k and in good shape

Registered
They brought back the Passport name so never say never.

As for what I would look for...if I was still trying to make a few bucks from driving a few miles:

9th gen v6 coupe with a manual (yeah, good luck)

Another 7th gen v6 coupe manual with low-ish miles, maybe less than 200k and in good shape
You know you have a super-high mileage car when 鈥渓ow-ish鈥 miles is around 200,000. ;)

And if I had to replace my 2012 coupe, a 2016 or 2017 two-door Accord would be on my short list.

Registered
On the one hand, I doubt it will ever happen - the V6/AWD/4WS is basically the TLX, and I can鈥檛 see Honda harvesting from its own sales.

On the other hand, I鈥檇 buy the car you鈥檙e describing in a New York minute. Bigger than the Civic Si/Type R, but far more athletic than the Accord. Let it also be comfortable enough to fill the 2+2 grand tourer role, as the 4th and 5th gen Preludes could also comfortably eat up long distance miles. A proper antidote the countless jellybean-shaped SUV people-movers criss-crossing our highways.
The TLX is a nice car, but it really doesn't do much for me. I like Acura, but they feel like a "play it safe" kind of brand. You go to an Acura dealership across the street when the Honda dealer doesn't have what you are looking for. I think a car like the Prelude would be so much better, and would certainly appeal to Honda enthusiasts. On this forum, it seems like there is a bit of a divide among Accord owners. There are people who appreciate the Accord for what it offers, and there are people who will always want more. In the hypothetical world, if they were to sell a Prelude with a manual transmission, those of us who want it can purchase it, and finally put a rest to the endless debate about manual transmissions and tiny engines in Accords.

Gearhead Girl 馃
The TLX is a nice car, but it really doesn't do much for me. I like Acura, but they feel like a "play it safe" kind of brand. You go to an Acura dealership across the street when the Honda dealer doesn't have what you are looking for. I think a car like the Prelude would be so much better, and would certainly appeal to Honda enthusiasts. On this forum, it seems like there is a bit of a divide among Accord owners. There are people who appreciate the Accord for what it offers, and there are people who will always want more. In the hypothetical world, if they were to sell a Prelude with a manual transmission, those of us who want it can purchase it, and finally put a rest to the endless debate about manual transmissions and tiny engines in Accords.
This reminds me of when I first joined the forum and there was a little group of people who said the Accord needs a V6 because it's large and heavy! My 2.4L pushes it just fine. Literally my only complaint about my 2010 I-4 is that my interior is tan cloth, I'm a neat freak, and that has nothing to do with the mechanics, it's all about stain potential. The car sounds great, feels great, and looks great.
As for tiny engines, even with the turbos, a 1.5L, or even a 2.0L in a midsize car just sounds wrong to me. Sounds like Civic displacements. Just my personal opinion that I happen to be pretty vocal about.

Anyway, my only concern is that when manufacturers revive model names, the new model usually looks nothing like its ancestor. I get that they need to modernize things to make them competitive in the market, but when you have people reminiscing about the older generations, it's disappointing to see old names on new cars that have hardly anything in common with their predecessors. I mean, we have the new "BMW Supra" and people have been calling the new Passport a "baby Pilot".

Super Moderator
This reminds me of when I first joined the forum and there was a little group of people who said the Accord needs a V6 because it's large and heavy! My 2.4L pushes it just fine.
In 1999, I bought a new Buick Regal LS. I really enjoyed that car and kept it for 7 years which is far longer than I normally keep a vehicle (1 year on average). The plastic intake manifold cracked causing coolant to leak inside the engine around 75,000 miles which took 4 hours and $200 for me to replace one morning, but that was the only major problem I had in over 100,000 miles.

After years of owning nothing but Ford and GM vehicles, I decided to try my first new Honda in 2006. I was worried that the 166 HP 2.4L I4 in the Accord would disappoint compared to the smooth and torquey 200 HP 3.8L V6 in the Regal. The Accord did have some typical four-cylinder idle shake, but was actually slightly faster from 0-60 than the Regal which was only 2 lbs. (yes - two pounds) heavier than the Accord and it got 4 more MPG.

Gearhead Girl 馃
After years of owning nothing but Ford and GM vehicles, I decided to try my first new Honda in 2006. I was worried that the 166 HP 2.4L I4 in the Accord would disappoint compared to the smooth and torquey 200 HP 3.8L V6 in the Regal. The Accord did have some typical four-cylinder idle shake, but was actually slightly faster from 0-60 than the Regal which was only 2 lbs. (yes - two pounds) heavier than the Accord and it got 4 more MPG.
Wow! What do you mean by a "four cylinder shake"? I've only driven 4 cylinder cars hehe
I learned to drive in a 2009 Accord I-4, I test drove a 2013 Honda Fit, and for driver's ed I drove a 2014 Nissan Versa. The Versa was the cheapest car I've ever felt and it was horrid to drive, even the cheap MSRP is way too high for how it felt. The interior had more plastic than a Kardashian, although for an MSRP of $13k, I'm not sure what I expected.

The Fit is actually a funny story that I like to tell. I saw it at a dealership, and the salesman popped the hatch "trunk"? and revealed 4 disgusting, brownish grey floor mats covered in holes. I took it for a drive anyway and it struggled to reach the 45 MPH speed limit, it took so long to accelerate that I was started getting honked at, and I was flooring it!
Then I was supposed to test drive a 2009 Accord EX-L V6 at that same dealership, but they wouldn't go below $12,500 for me, even though the car was worth around $9800 given its mileage and condition. I was polite enough to not test drive it for fun when it became ready and waste their time (and mine too). They ended up selling it to someone 2 days later for $11,300. But yeah, because of them, I've never driven a V6, or anything more than a 4. I wish I could have.

Registered
This reminds me of when I first joined the forum and there was a little group of people who said the Accord needs a V6 because it's large and heavy! My 2.4L pushes it just fine. Literally my only complaint about my 2010 I-4 is that my interior is tan cloth, I'm a neat freak, and that has nothing to do with the mechanics, it's all about stain potential. The car sounds great, feels great, and looks great.
As for tiny engines, even with the turbos, a 1.5L, or even a 2.0L in a midsize car just sounds wrong to me. Sounds like Civic displacements. Just my personal opinion that I happen to be pretty vocal about.

Anyway, my only concern is that when manufacturers revive model names, the new model usually looks nothing like its ancestor. I get that they need to modernize things to make them competitive in the market, but when you have people reminiscing about the older generations, it's disappointing to see old names on new cars that have hardly anything in common with their predecessors. I mean, we have the new "BMW Supra" and people have been calling the new Passport a "baby Pilot".
I agree, tan interior is usually not something that I prefer. My mom takes immaculate care of her cars, but the tan interior in her Subaru Forester isn't looking all that great anymore. As for the 2.4 I-4 engine, I have no complaints with mine. I like it better than my old V6, but I also had some significant reliability issues in a car with that engine. It feels a little slow at times, especially paired with a manual transmission in stop and go traffic. I notice that I sometimes end up accelerating up to 4,000 RPMs before shifting into 2nd to keep up with traffic on certain roads. It really isn't a big deal, but it is noticeable. I still like having the manual transmission because I've heard that the automatic can throw you into 2nd a little early, resulting in sluggish acceleration. You are correct about reviving certain model names. Personally, I view the modern Acura NSX as a huge disappointment when compared to its predecessor. The original NSX was a work of art, while the new one, although still being a good car, just doesn't give that impression.

Turbo lag
On this forum, it seems like there is a bit of a divide among Accord owners. There are people who appreciate the Accord for what it offers, and there are people who will always want more.
This is what happens when Acura isn't really that much of a step up from a well executed Honda product.

Personally, I view the modern Acura NSX as a huge disappointment when compared to its predecessor. The original NSX was a work of art, while the new one, although still being a good car, just doesn't give that impression.
Maybe so, but Honda is heading in the right direction. An entry level supercar with small ICE and a hybrid system. Mclaren's new sports series will also be a V6TT with a hybrid system. A hybrid 911 has also be rumored for quite sometime now too.

Registered
I doubt the Accord name is going anywhere. Granted, the sales are dwindling, but as the most recent full year sales numbers show (2019), Honda still sold almost 270,000 units, a far cry from the 350k annually in the past, but still enough to place them firmly at the third place overall in their lineup, behind Civic and CR-V.

With that being said, I can see the gas only versions of the Accord playing a smaller role going forward. Just look at the number of hybrids available. Maybe by the 12th gen. they will only be available as a hybrid. I hope not, but who knows.

Personally, I hope they make a PHEV version of the Accord again.

Personally, I view the modern Acura NSX as a huge disappointment when compared to its predecessor. The original NSX was a work of art, while the new one, although still being a good car, just doesn't give that impression.
The original one was unique. The new one is a very good car too. The problem was, they priced it too high, at least higher than what people were willing to pay for Acura鈥檚, so very few people bought them. At the price they鈥檙e asking, people who can afford it have many other choices to choose from. Unless you鈥檙e the absolute diehard Honda fan that don鈥檛 give a damn about other brands, or just have too much money to burn (owners of multiple super cars/collectors etc.), chances are you鈥檙e going to spring for other cars, if you were going to spend that much on a car.

Reactions: TX Accord

Gearhead Girl 馃
I doubt the Accord name is going anywhere. Granted, the sales are dwindling, but as the most recent full year sales numbers show (2019), Honda still sold almost 270,000 units, a far cry from the 350k annually in the past, but still enough to place them firmly at the third place overall in their lineup, behind Civic and CR-V.
Any idea what American Honda Fit sales were in recent years? Honda just canned the Fit in the American market, so those numbers could give us a pretty good indicator of what Honda considers to be worth keeping or not, and whether or not the Accord is truly safe.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts