Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had any issues with the engine braking being overly sensitive? Sometimes it seems like it kicks in when it doesn't need to. Can you adjust this at all, maybe using ktuner?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The compression braking in this car drives me nuts, too. I think it is called "fuel cut", and a tuner should be able to adjust or remove it. My wife's ES 350 is paid off in September, then the Accord will get some love. :banana:

·
Don't drink and drive
5,170 Posts
At times, yes. What I do is accelerate a bit and it shifts into the 5th. If I brake hard, it kicks in again. I live in the mountains, so I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me as much now.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
This doesn't answer your question, but I can tell you Honda greatly improved on this in the 9.5 gen. At least on the V6.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
The compression braking in this car drives me nuts, too. I think it is called "fuel cut", and a tuner should be able to adjust or remove it. My wife's ES 350 is paid off in September, then the Accord will get some love. :banana:
Please forgive me for being critical, but it is not compression braking. Compression has nothing to do with engine braking, unless you’re talking about a Jake-Brake in a diesel. In a gas engine nothing is being compressed when you take your foot off the gas pedal and the throttle valve closes. In a gas engine, engine braking is all about manifold vacuum.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Is the OP referring to a 4 or 6 cyl model? We have the 4/cvt. I don't think engine braking is excessive. If anything, probably on the weak side. I suppose really depends on what one is accustomed to. I'd say my mt car (g37) has more engine braking.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
LOL! There you have it, two vastly different opinions on the matter. It's all a matter of perspective.

·
Registered
702 Posts
It's more noticeable/annoying in the V6 sedan since we don't have paddle shifters or any ability to select our gearing. Going down mountain grades, for example, I would normally force the paddles into top gear to use gravity to build momentum. No such luck in the V6 sedan, have to just burn gas to accelerate as the grade logic will use engine braking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
bcbickers..Are you experiencing automatic downshifting as the car slows from say 30 mph as you coast to a stop sign or red light? That is not engine braking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2016 touring v6. I had Neck surgery and get a mini whiplash when slowing down ...ouch. My accord seemed to downshift at a higher rpm,unexpectedly ( too soon) . I am used to my 07 civic manual and know when to brace my neck with movement changes. After 1,000 miles, it does not do it anymore. Asked dealership about it, along with the trans clunk or click when changing from park to reverse when lifting off the brake. They blew off both questions. No it is not the brakes. The v6 starts moving as soon as you lift your foot off the brake and it take a second to seem like it is the gear solidly. Or that is my impression. Just praying trans is not a lemon or won't break from downshifting while going too fast.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,674 Posts
But the real question is--- Is this harsh downshifting going to prematurely wear out the transmission?
Engine braking is not downshifting. Two different things.

·
NOT your average Joe
2006 Accord EX Sedan, 2.4ℓ & 5-spd Auto
120 Posts
I don't recall where I read it, so take it for what it's worth: Per the article I read the perceived "shift" is actually the shift in valve timing in the 30-35 mph range. I, too, live in the mountains. I can't say I've gotten accustomed to it, but it's less annoying than it was. I've learned to toe the throttle just slightly to control it a bit.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I like it. Approximates what one can get with a manual trnsmission. My thanks to Honda.
Agree wholeheartedly. I loved my '98 Accord MT for that. I remember the time I was going on the downhill stretch of Going to the Sun road in Glacier Park. Just put it in a lower gear and coasted all the way down without having to touch the gas or brake pedals, (OK, maybe the brakes in the curves). My '17 Highlander has nice engine braking when going down hills, shifting down from top gear (8th) to sometimes 4th (maybe 3rd) depending on the steepness of the grade. It seems to only do when in cruise control though. Not sure about that. I'll have to experiment a little more. There is one downslope in my area where, if I start down at 60 MPH, I could easily get to 70-80 by the bottom. The trans easily limits it to 65.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I noticed that in my coupe v6 as well.. i think it's too harsh . I also think it's worse when in regular Drive mode, as opposed to having Eco on. I feel it less when Eco is left on. Could just be me tho. Oh, and also when I have less than half tank does it seem harsh...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts