Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
@greg1c I don't think it's a dummy plug. My car doesn't have anything there. You can see an IAT reading because the sensor is built into to MAF on the other years/trims (including OP's). You can see if in the diagram I posted.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
On all the Honda parts sites the pictures show the sensor, but in the parts list it is not listed.

Number 23 in this diagram, but there is no 22 or 23 listed in the parts breakdown.

Part # is 17228-RAD-L61 for tube, airflow. I do not own one so I can only go off the diagrams Honda provided, lots of parts like this where the use 1 picture for multiple models.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Before I put a new Catalytic converter on it you need to solve the P0172 error, those evap errors are an issue but they will not destroy a catalytic converter but a P0172 will. Some how too much fuel is getting in the combustion chamber as measured by the O2 sensor.

You need to look at the fuel trims and see how bad they are. They should be 0 to +/- 8 percent. The code P0172 is set when files trims are +20%.

It could be a bad MAF or coolant sensor, but something is adding more fuel, possibly even a bad primary O2 sensor. It could also be a bad catalytic converter, I assume the engine is running badly? Take a look at each sparkplug and see if 1 is fouled with carbon. Doing a compression test is not a bad idea as well.

Post the freeze frame data from the P0172 and the short term and long term fuel trims. Double check the coolant and intake temperatures are reporting correctly.

None of them look too bad...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
I would guess that new plugs did not help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I replaced both o2 sensors, replaced the pcv valve, cleaned the Maf sensor, and am now Only getting the p0498 code. When I clear it, turns back on a second later, indicating to me that it's An electric problem. I haven't found a fuse that is bad...

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Found that problem, the evap cvs was completely unplugged. I plugged it back in and cleared that code. Hopefully none of the other codes come back but the evap one is definitely fixed. God knows how long it was running without the cvs valve plugged in or how it ever came unplugged in the first place.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well now I am getting EVAP CVS Stuck closed p2422. And am getting P0420 Catalyst system below efficiency threshold. Maybe bad cat? And maybe bad evap canister?

·
Pilot without a plane
374 Posts
I had a purge valve solenoid go bad. I never got a code, but I was having very hard starting after filling up at the gas station. I have a thread on here about it. @DonutLimo recommended replacing the purge valve solenoid. That fixed my hard starting problem. Very easy solenoid to replace right up on the front of the intake on my v6.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Check the Evap canister vent tube and make sure it is not clogged. Same thing with the canister itself. Lots of issues with spiders building nests blocking the tube.

As for the P0420, given the issues with the fuel trims, let it run a few hundred miles and see if it clears. Otherwise, get a high quality replacement direct fit Catalytic Converter.

·
one wheel drive
799 Posts
Check the Evap canister vent tube and make sure it is not clogged. Same thing with the canister itself. Lots of issues with spiders building nests blocking the tube.
^Yes check it out.
I had that code and took at look at things and found a lot of dust inside my valve and tubing. No spiders at least! I also put 12V to the solenoid to make sure it was working and after cleaning it, it sounded better. The code hasn't come back. Yours might be sticky from inactivity.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts