Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Honda President
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda says that owners of V6 2008-2012 vehicles affected by the Engine Misfire Class Action law suit will only be able to get help *after* Engine Misfire symptoms appear.

Question: Should owners of affected vehicles which have very low mileage on them and thus did not yet exhibit symptoms of the Engine Misfire problem do anything *before* the problem appears?
Thank you.

·
Honda President
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was at a dealership this morning and they were adamant that I cannot do anything either with them or anywhere else *before* Engine Misfire symptoms appear.

Check engine light will come on with misfire codes when diagnosed. You will have difficulty starting your car. Engine may hesitate while you drive. Accelerating/decelerating causes the engine to buck or speed up suddenly. Shaking and shuddering. General difficulty accelerating and decelerating. Maybe someone else can post more on symptoms, I would like to know too.

·
Registered
268 Posts
the misfire is caused by fouled spark plugs due to the engine burning oil. only thing you can do really is make sure the engine oil is always topped off and change the spark plugs early if you want. The plugs are supposed to be good for 100k miles, but mine misfired after about 35k.

·
Honda President
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you inspected your spark plugs before 35K, say between 27K-34K, would you have been able to tell they would soon start causing misfires?

Since Honda covers this problem for cars in or out of warranty, what exactly do they do for a car like yours at 35K, after it began misfiring, what do they do to permanently fix this problem, so that it doesn't happen again after you put on additional 35K or 100K miles?

·
Put that cookie down! NOW
592 Posts
If you inspected your spark plugs before 35K, say between 27K-34K, would you have been able to tell they would soon start causing misfires?

Since Honda covers this problem for cars in or out of warranty, what exactly do they do for a car like yours at 35K, after it began misfiring, what do they do to permanently fix this problem, so that it doesn't happen again after you put on additional 35K or 100K miles?
Quoted from the TSB:

"CORRECTIVE ACTION
Inspect the vehicle and, if necessary, clean the pistons,
and replace the piston rings in the affected cylinders."

·
Honda President
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So cleaning the pistons and replacing the piston rings is what we are after. Thank you very much.

Let's say you owned one of these vehicles and you go back to when they only had 27K miles on them. If you knew they were going to develop the misfiring problem, what kind of inspection could you do yourself, to find evidence that would justify asking Honda to replace the piston rings earlier rather than later?

·
Registered
107 Posts
There is no productive reason to sweat this issue. If you want to do your best to prevent it, replace the plugs every 25k. Other than that, drive it until it has the problem, then have it fixed under warranty.

·
592 Posts
So cleaning the pistons and replacing the piston rings is what we are after. Thank you very much.

Let's say you owned one of these vehicles and you go back to when they only had 27K miles on them. If you knew they were going to develop the misfiring problem, what kind of inspection could you do yourself, to find evidence that would justify asking Honda to replace the piston rings earlier rather than later?
Inspect the spark plugs. Only simple to determine. However , Honda will not try to fix something that has not been broken , yet. Even if you are experiencing oil consumption , if those specific MIL codes are not lit up , you will not have the specific warranty repair. I'm at 60,000 miles and fortunately I'm not experiencing this.

The case is the piston rings go out of alignment , contributing to massive oil consumption. The oil enters the chamber and starts farting to hell.

Keep in mind the Honda lawsuit warranty is effective to 8 years from first purchase with unlimited mileage.

·
Honda President
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hm, are you sure about those 8 years. That would mean a 2008 Accord I have with only 27K miles on it has only two more years to develop this problem... and if it doesn't within 2 years I'll be SOL?

·
592 Posts
Hm, are you sure about those 8 years. That would mean a 2008 Accord I have with only 27K miles on it has only two more years to develop this problem... and if it doesn't within 2 years I'll be SOL?
That's what it states on the TSB itself.

"American Honda is extending the powertrain warranty
to cover repairs related to engine misfire (that triggers
DTCs P0301 through P0304) to 8 years with unlimited
mileage from the original date of purchase and has
settled a class action based on this remedial measure."

I work at a local Honda dealership for more than a year. The only engine issue we have repaired/replaced is regarding the engine block cracks on the early 2006 Civics. We have not ran ourselves into this issue for our V6 Accords at all , yet. Only Accord issue I have seen is the common VTC actuator on the i4's , which was today. So I would not sweat it at all if I was you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts