Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can help me pinpoint the problem here so I dont spend a bunch of extra money on parts I dont need. Car started misfiring & has very poor acceleration now. Its coming up with code p302, p303, p300 & i think something about a crankshaft sensor. I replaced the spark plugs, that didnt fix it. Next tried replacing the coil packs, that didnt either. Then I began researching more, have been hearing that this is a common problem for this generation after installing aftermarket parts. Well my dad & I installed a new starter a couple months ago...so im wondering if this is the problem? A mechanic on youtube said if its not a Honda OEM starter this can be a common problem for this generation, he fixed the same issue im having by putting in one & reset the ECU. Has anyone else had this similar issue? Or have some knowledge to enlighten me with? Would be greatly helpful so I can start getting back to driving myself to work ASAP.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Accord, Coupe, Touring (V6, 6AT), 2017 Honda Accord Sedan, EXL V6 w/ Navi, Sensing
123 Posts
I don’t have much to offer, other than it would probably be helpful if you listed the year model and engine of your vehicle.

I’m sure you’ve done some Google searches as well, so these codes do seem to be cylinder misfire codes, so what you’ve already done seems like a reasonable start. I did see a few you tube videos related to these codes. As to and aftermarket starter being related to these misfire codes, that seems pretty unlikely given that the two systems are unrelated, but I suppose odder things have happened given how cars are made anymore.

Good luck fixing your car, hope you figure it out soon without spending much money.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,095 Posts
Did the old plugs look oil-fouled? You'll save bucks and headaches if you buy OEM parts. Don't buy parts on ebay even if the box says 'genuine Honda parts.'

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Specifics would be good so we can try and solve your issues.

What year and how many miles on the car?

Does the car use excessive oil?

What sparkplugs did use as replacements?

How many coil packs did you replace and what kind did you use as replacement?

Are there any other codes besides the misfire codes? Can you post the freeze frame data.

That is a good start.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. Here's more specifics

09 LX model 2.4L

VIN: 1HGCS12349A024203

134,000 miles

Does not use excessive oil

The spark plugs had no oil & did not look burnt up badly, I replaced them the more expensive iridium kind.

For the coil packs I bought two, for cylinders 2 & 3 that my reader showed were misfiring, it also said multiple. After i replaced the two there was still no change. I know that most people suggest & prefer to just replace all of them but seeing how they're $50 a pop for this vehicle I couldn't afford them all at the time. Do you guys think this would be a possible issue not buying all 4? My gut feeling is telling its not the coil packs or was a spark plug problem after replacing them.
I mentioned in my first post that I replaced the starter a few months ago with a aftermarket one. I don't remember what the brand was.

Im going back n forth between buying an oem starter right now or not...Hearing that it could be the problem, then one of you guys saying its unlikely because they arent related, so im unsure what to do now. Almost tempted to pay the extra money & get it to a shop since I don't really know. But that's kind of last case scenario if its something I cant do myself.
Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
While the errors show up on cylinders 2 and 3 you also have a p0300 which is random cylinders. Here is how you test, disconnect each coil while the engine is running and when you disconnect the bad one the engine will not change.

Reactions: slimm1469

·
Elvira - the car
3,574 Posts
A bad crankshaft sensor will give all those codes as well. Your original post says you think there was a code for this sensor. Verify it is there in the OBD memory.

As @greg1c stated get ALL the codes.

It screws with the timing of the spark which would most likely cause the random P0300 code.

Reactions: slimm1469

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
This is a 4cyl, verify that the chain has not skipped a tooth. I would do a valve adjustment just because you had to pull the valve cover to see the timing marks.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
What are the fuel trims looking like?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts