Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Accord EX 4cyl
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While checking for my battery was draining or not, I decided to check the engine oil.

When I took the dipstick out, I was surprised that it was below the min mark. Dipped it three times to make sure of that.
I did had engine oil leak around drain bolt because I re-used crush washer, but I replaced it when I changed it to 0W20(Pennzoil full syn), and it's been 1600Km (994mi).
Would thinner engine oil cause this consumption or other forum posts like PCV, or piston ring failure would have come this suddenly?
5W20 didn't had this serious consumption, even when drain bolt was seeping.

I've put about 900ml back in and now it's close to full mark on the dipstick.

Current mileage is 312K Km. (194K mi)

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Were u letting it get low while it was leaking? Low oil begats oil burning.

·
Registered
2005 Accord EX 4cyl
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were u letting it get low while it was leaking? Low oil begats oil burning.
I checked it frequently to keep it above min line.
But there's no guarantee previous owners kept good care... yet I didn't saw oil consumption until now.

·
Elvira
3,623 Posts
I checked it frequently to keep it above min line.
But there's no guarantee previous owners kept good care... yet I didn't saw oil consumption until now.
unexplained oil loss by lack of leaks on the ground, could point to plugged PCV valve. Have you done this replacement ? Cheapest way to a possible fix.

·
On my second Accord.
2020 Sport 2.0T 6MT Still Night Pearl 1500 km. '07 Accord EX-L I4 Nav 5MT sold.
48 Posts
This engine is known for some oil consumption as it ages. With 312k km (312 megametres!), in my mind, some consumption is entirely normal if it's only a litre or two between changes.

Reactions: bduede and frogvtec

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
0W20 and 5W20 are same viscosity at operating temp. Pull off the plastic belly pan to see if it's leaking elsewhere. Consider your max line to be your min.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
but I replaced it when I changed it to 0W20(Pennzoil full syn), and it's been 1600Km (994mi).
I just changed my oil a month or two ago, on my '14 2.4L with what I believe may be the the first full synthetic...at 66K miles.
I'm the second owner.
I bought the car from a dealer and drove it about 7K miles before I decided to go to "Pennzoil Platinum" 0W-20.(In the previous 7K Miles I saw no drop, and I assume the dealer used Honda semi-synthetic. oil, which is probably correct....)

It dropped a half quart in 2K miles. I have no idea whether it's because Pennzoil synthetic just burns away faster, or what....the car drives perfect. Most of my driving is highway and I do about 70-75, that's where I live, not the fastest, not the slowest...
I also know whenever I used Mobil 1 in my Hondas, they consumed more oil.

Now my next experiment may be to try to go back to Castrol Edge, as that's what I typically use in my '06.

Reactions: nes

·
Registered
2005 Accord EX 4cyl
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your replies.

This engine is known for some oil consumption as it ages. With 312k km (312 megametres!), in my mind, some consumption is entirely normal if it's only a litre or two between changes.
Yeah, I wouldn't be worrying that much if that was the case... it's almost like there's a hole in the engine!

unexplained oil loss by lack of leaks on the ground, could point to plugged PCV valve. Have you done this replacement ? Cheapest way to a possible fix.
I'll have to look into this if I still see consumption. Would NAPA's PCV worth it or should I get OEM?

Pull off the plastic belly pan to see if it's leaking elsewhere.
I will.

Now my next experiment may be to try to go back to Castrol Edge, as that's what I typically use in my '06.
I'm even thinking SuperTech 0W20 from Walmart if I have to keep adding oil from this rate of consumption.

·
MT or death
185 Posts
Question, do people on this site just not believe in high mileage oil?

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Super Tech high mileage syn. oil is a good brand if you have to keep adding oil. Get the 5 qt. jug. Whenever you switch brands expect some oil consumption for the first few thousand miles. When the 4 cyl. gets into higher mileage expect more oil consumption, common problem on these engines. You can slow the consumption down by changing the PCV valve, any brand will work, I have used NAPA brand in the past. You may have to do a piston soak, search the threads. You can also try replacing a qt. of oil with a qt. of Marvel Mystery Oil for the next few oil changes. Always check the oil once a week, low or dirty oil will stretch the timing chain & wear the guides.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The PCV valve really makes a difference? I've never messed with it because I've always changed synthetic oil every 5K. Figured it's probably not gummed up.

·
Elvira
3,623 Posts
The PCV valve really makes a difference? I've never messed with it because I've always changed synthetic oil every 5K. Figured it's probably not gummed up.
a severely plugged PCV can cause the pressurized vapors in the crankcase to build and leak oil past internal seals and gaskets.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
May also cause a blown head gasket. Besides getting gummed up, the spring in the PCV valve can get stretched out.

·
Registered
2005 Accord EX 4cyl
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
May also cause a blown head gasket. Besides getting gummed up, the spring in the PCV valve can get stretched out.
Okay, now you've got me on head gasket part. I'll grab it tomorrow and change it out. What would be the size of crush washer? Heard it's same as transmission but don't know if it's for V6 6MT, or automatic.

edit: nvm, found a DIY post here

·
Registered
428 Posts
LoL. It's one of those on-going discussions.

Been on 5w-20 full syn since 9K, and kept it the same as the 2nd owner. Never bothered changing to anything else as I didn't feel a need to.
I change about twice a year.

OP, some oil consumption is normal, provided you aren't seeing obvious leaks. See if you can monitor your consumption and make sure you are reading the dipstick correctly.

·
Registered
2005 Accord EX 4cyl
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OP, some oil consumption is normal, provided you aren't seeing obvious leaks. See if you can monitor your consumption and make sure you are reading the dipstick correctly.
I've never seen consumption this rapid. almost a litre in 1600Km.

There was quite a bit of soothe around oil dipstick hole. Maybe the vapor's escaping this way from blocked PCV?
Question: Can I change PCV while engine is hot?

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Supposedly, high mileage oils contain conditioners to keep seals/gaskets soft, so they're probably a good option if you've got a leak somewhere. If you got an engine with 200K on it it and you know the RMS is leaking, it may be a good option.
Obviously not for say, a valve cover gasket or similar because you can fix that for under $100 in a half hour or so.

From what I've read on this site since '07, the problems with consumption have far outweighed any "leaky" gaskets, seals, etc...on any of these Honda engines.
I haven't read too much about whether the high mileage oils actually reduce oil consumption, which is another issue entirely.

Super Tech high mileage syn. oil is a good brand if you have to keep adding oil. Get the 5 qt. jug. Whenever you switch brands expect some oil consumption for the first few thousand miles.

Interesting...
KW, have you seen this on your own cars when you switched brands??

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Interesting...
KW, have you seen this on your own cars when you switched brands??
Many times, when I switched to Eneos brand my engine started drinking oil like a thirsty camel. Maybe it is just my engine or the way I drive, I am putting in a qt. about every 900 miles. I switched to HM oil @ 450K as a recommendation from my mechanic.

·
Registered
2005 Accord EX 4cyl
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Okay, just changed PCV. It was so surprisingly easy. Bit of oil on the other side, and shaking the old one makes jiggly spring sound, same as new one.

Now I'll keep on monitoring oil level.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts