Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid ExL
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I got the Engine Oil Low warning on my dash yesterday on my 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid. When I check the maintenance minder, the Oil Life was at 60%. I pulled over and check the engine oil level with the dipstick, and the oil was at the Min level marker. This is quite confusing, considering the fact that I had got my car serviced at the local Honda Service Center 2 to 3 months back, and also to the fact that I didn’t drive the car too much since then. There doesn't seem to be any visual leak from the bottom of the car, no oil stains where I park the car and no visual oil leaking on the engine block. The car has done around 174,000 miles but it looks and runs like a dream. The only thing I had done recently was getting the old battery (OEM Honda battery that I bought in 2020) exchanged under warranty at this service center.

What do you guys’ think is going on here? 🤔

Update #1- 05/24/2020
I took the car to the Honda Service Center this morning and they wanted to diagnosis the issue for which they quoted me $180. Since the oil level was actually low and also to the fact that the cost of oil change was considerably cheaper at $70, I thought of getting the oil changed instead of getting it diagnosed and see if that fixes the problem. But when I got my car back after the oil refill, to my surprise I see that the ENGINE OIL LOW would come on every time I accelerate. I check the oil level with the dipstick and the oil is filled to the brim. When asked, the service manager informed me that they can't say anything before the diagnosis, and it would cost 180 bucks. Since I didn’t know what to do at that time, I took the car back.

There is no alert or warning when the car is at standstill, or driving in EV mode but the moment I accelerate, the Low Engine Oil warning comes up on the dash, which goes away if I let go of the accelerator (gas) pedal or when the car goes into Electric / EV mode.

What do you guys think? I know now that the car has issue that needs looking into and fixed. My question is, should I get it done at the Honda Service center or outside? Is there is a cheaper but equally reliable service option outside of Honda service network?
Thanks

Update #2 - 25th May 2022
TLDR - The car has major issues and too old with higher miles to be considered worthy of the expensive repairs involved.

Gory Details:
I took the car to the Honda Service Center today and after the diagnosis I was informed that the diagnosis error codes indicated multiple issues with my car, for starters the Oil Pump anyway needs replacement ($3000) and furthermore there could very well be an issue with the engine too, but to ascertain that, they need to open the engine (+$400 over the diag cost), and there is a good chance that it would need a new engine considering the higher milage on the car and to the fact that the oil is not reaching the top cam / part. ($6000 for used from the salvage yard (even getting one would be tough considering its a hybrid) / $10,000 for. a new one from Honda, and this number is minus the labor cost).

Reality: (Is A Heartless ***ch)
Hearing the death sentence, I took the car back. I need a moment to sock all this in. I understand that I need to get a new car and I need to either trade this in (morally don't want to even if it can be) or give it to the salvage yard. It's such a shame considering the fact that it was running great just until this point, and that it is in such great shape, even now.
The car market is heavily inflated right now, and even the used ones have +5k price tag. In this crazy economy that we all are living in these days, where evil is reaping profit out of the endless greed, anything and everything pertaining to the automobile market is unjustifiably cruel and a hard pill to swallow. Be it the soaring gas prices or the price of commodities in general, all the odds are stacked against us, the commoners.

I guess the future that we all been waiting for is here, need to bite the bullet and save up for an all-electric now. I know it's not like it doesn't have blood on its hand, its just that it's the lesser evil, at least on the wallet, from an extended cost of ownership prospective.

Thank you all who responded, much appreciated. (y)

Attachments

· Premium Member
3,547 Posts
When you checked the oil, how low was it, off the marks??
Never a good idea to let the oil light come on...that's when you're dangerously low, IMO.
Remaining oil life does not enter into the equation, really..

I got in the habit of checking mine every 1000 miles.
No matter who serviced your car, the dealer, or Joe's garage down the street..it's still your car, and your money.

· Registered
770 Posts
I wonder if the dealership didn't fill the oil properly when it was last changed? Possibly they left it maybe a quart low? If so, it would take very little oil use to cause your low oil warning to come on.

You don't say what the oil level was on the dipstick. Was it low? If so, add the proper weight oil to bring it to the top mark when the oil is warm, and then monitor the oil level (on the dipstick) frequently, every week, to see if you are losing oil. As 2Accords said, there's no relationship between oil life and oil level.

- Jack

Reactions: WiiMaster and sdude

· Registered
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid ExL
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you checked the oil, how low was it, off the marks??
Never a good idea to let the oil light come on...that's when you're dangerously low, IMO.
Remaining oil life does not enter into the equation, really..

I got in the habit of checking mine every 1000 miles.
No matter who serviced your car, the dealer, or Joe's garage down the street..it's still your car, and your money.
When I checked yday, the oil was touching the lower level marker. Today after getting the oils refilled, the warning is still there. Pls see the update I posted in my OP just now. Thanks

I wonder if the dealership didn't fill the oil properly when it was last changed?
The oil level was on the lower marker of the dipstick when I checked it yday. There is an updated to my sitauation and I've updated it in my OP. Pls have a look. Thanks for your reply.

· Premium Member
3,547 Posts
- I took the car to the Honda Service Center this morning and they wanted to check the issue for which they quoted me $180 just for check, and since the oil level was actually low and also to the fact that the oil change cost was considerably cheaper at $70, I thought of getting the oil changed instead. When I got my car back after the oil refill, to my surprise I see that the ENGINE OIL LOW alert is still on. I check the oil level with the dip stick and the oil is filled to the brim. When asked, the service manager informed me that it would still cost me $180 for diagnosis. Since I didnt know what to do at that time, I took the car back.
If I'm understanding this correctly, the car lost oil before you brought it in, then, they did the oil change, car was filled to the correct level... and the light still did not go off.
In either case, something is NOT letting the oil light reset. Could be faulty sensor, but yeah, they should have explained to you the issue with the light..OR, it never came on when the car was in the shop...take your pick.

It is obvious, however way you look at it..the dealer did not cause the issue. it's either a fault with the vehicle or ..you let the oil run low..
S
o, yes, they are going to charge you for the diag fee.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.