Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed during a rainy day last week my 101,000 mile car picked up a vibration but not really a hesitation that day. I didn't hit any puddles.

I have put on 250 miles and notice a slight vibration in the low rpm range. Or it could be engine related?

The engine revs in neutral with no issues. When I climb a hill in second gear I notice the vibration. I also get it some in all gears. No lights on dash - might be time to buy an OBD II scanner?

I upshift to a high gear and my clutch does not slip - I also checked my shafts and saw no leakage, broken boots, or loose shafts.

MAF? MAP? O2 Sensor? Ideas?

·
Registered
455 Posts
did you recently lower it?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. Except for the sway bar and a Civic Si shift knob - the car is stock.. Boring? Yes. LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is the A/C on during this time? It could be cycling during this time, causing a load on the engine which causes the vibration. Turn off the ac and see if you get the same issue.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've done most all variables. Air on and air off.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I still have no CEL or any codes but I found a dead bird covering down under the bumper near the intake. It was really wedged in under the bumper.

Runs better but still a little stumbling.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
It is about time for spark plugs, if they have not been changed go ahead and do it.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I noticed during a rainy day last week my 101,000 mile car picked up a vibration but not really a hesitation that day. I didn't hit any puddles.

I have put on 250 miles and notice a slight vibration in the low rpm range. Or it could be engine related?

The engine revs in neutral with no issues. When I climb a hill in second gear I notice the vibration. I also get it some in all gears. No lights on dash - might be time to buy an OBD II scanner?

I upshift to a high gear and my clutch does not slip - I also checked my shafts and saw no leakage, broken boots, or loose shafts.

MAF? MAP? O2 Sensor? Ideas?
tell us more about the vibes. when accelerating? Does it go away once you let of the throttle? do you feel it in the wheel or your seat?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New NGK's 3 weeks ago. I only feel the vibration at full acceleration. Trans fluid and new air cleaner today. At other rpms it is not noticed. The engine revs great.

I only feel it in the gas peddle although my wife can feel it. Nothing at high speed as we all drive 80mph in Chicago.

Still no codes......better with the bird cleaned out.

·
Registered
841 Posts
New NGK's 3 weeks ago. I only feel the vibration at full acceleration. Trans fluid and new air cleaner today. At other rpms it is not noticed. The engine revs great.

I only feel it in the gas peddle although my wife can feel it. Nothing at high speed as we all drive 80mph in Chicago.

Still no codes......better with the bird cleaned out.
Inner CV joints can cause vibes. and when they do its usually only during acceleration.

I wouldnt be too concerned with DTC's. Honda are VERY sensitive to monitored power train failures. We have of course seen ECM controlled components cause vibes without setting DTC's but its not often.

Its hard to say without feeling it myself, but if you feel a vibration while accelerating heavily and it goes away when you let off the throttle, that sounds like an axle to me. With your mileage it wouldnt be "strange" either. but again describing a sensation to someone else can be hard.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice. Can I check this myself? I looked at the shafts and none of the bots are ripped or torn.

This makes sense as I can turn the wheel at a stop sign and accelerate hard and the shudder/vibration is more pronounced.

You da man.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had my local mechanic check it and they shrugged.

They feel it but they think the drive shafts are good. Maybe it could be motor mounts they said but not sure since the can't do a brake torque with the manual tranny. So no charge and I picked it up and I am not sure if he is my mechanic any more.

A guy at work said the dreaded "D" word..........dealership?...........

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The service guy at Honda told me $1100 to replace both of them. I paid Honda $65 for a diagnose and they said its the DS inner CV joint.

My buddy is a ex-Pontiac drivetrain guy and he is going to swap it out for me. The second Honda SM quoted me $250 plus $65 for labor........far cry for the original quote.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Final result? Both inner CV joints were worn and had a lot of play. I had them changed out and all is back to normal at 105,000 miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts