Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this winter has begun, my car when started early in the morning (when its 43°F and colder at times), I can hear this highly audible rattle noise coming from the engine and does not go away until the engine has warmed up, which takes approximately 3 minutes.

Today it was 60°F 1200pm when the vehicle was started first time for the day and the rattle was there until it warmed up.

This noise will not pursue through rest of the day, only on the initial start of the day, regardless of time as experienced today

It is a 2004 Honda Accord v6 4 door with 107000+ miles on it
this car was purchased in first half of 2010 with 57000 miles

Oil level is good and is changed about every 3-4000 mile intervals
the oil I use in it is Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-20, I buy it from Costco and change it myself, and filter is also Mobil 1

I find forum advice more helpful before taking my car to a mechanic. (trust issues ;P)

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
Are you certain it's not coming from a heat shield on cat converter?

·
Banned
72 Posts
rattle on startup only is the Timing Belt

Since this winter has begun, my car when started early in the morning (when its 43°F and colder at times), I can hear this highly audible rattle noise coming from the engine and does not go away until the engine has warmed up, which takes approximately 3 minutes.

Today it was 60°F 1200pm when the vehicle was started first time for the day and the rattle was there until it warmed up.

This noise will not pursue through rest of the day, only on the initial start of the day, regardless of time as experienced today

It is a 2004 Honda Accord v6 4 door with 107000+ miles on it
this car was purchased in first half of 2010 with 57000 miles

Oil level is good and is changed about every 3-4000 mile intervals
the oil I use in it is Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-20, I buy it from Costco and change it myself, and filter is also Mobil 1

I find forum advice more helpful before taking my car to a mechanic. (trust issues ;P)
I have 141000 miles on my 2006 V6 4 door and I have the same rattle noise as well. It's the TIMING BELT and this has been going on for about 10k. You can change your timing belt. If you are still uncertain or want a second opinion, just record an audio clip of it and post it here. Somewhere around here, there is another clip of someone that you can compare the sound too but I am pretty sure it is your TIMING BELT!! yay, huh?!

·
Registered
804 Posts
a rattle or a tick? cause my 05 v6 has a tick that started last winter and it only does it when the engine is cold.. as soon as it warms up.... GONE...

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,683 Posts
If it sounds like this video, it is probably the timing belt. How many miles does the timing belt have on it? Click on the picture.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was under the impression, these cars have timing chain, I will record it tomorrow morning hopefully and post it here

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was under the impression, these cars have timing chain, I will record it tomorrow morning hopefully and post it here
Only the 4 cyl accords have a chain. Honda J-series V6 have a timing belt, I replace mine 2 weeks ago and now I have a ticking noise weird. My mechanic told me to use thicker oil, but I don' think that would solve anything. I'll try to post a Video of mine right now.

·
03 EX V6, and 6 others
147 Posts
No, it's a belt. There is also a small auto tensioner(that's what I've heard causes that noise when cold) that should be changed. I did mine today. The water pump should also be changed while you are in there, it sits under the timing belt.

·
03 EX V6, and 6 others
147 Posts
Here is a shot of the belt with the covers removed, and a close up of the tensioner.

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
Only the 4 cyl accords have a chain. Honda J-series V6 have a timing belt, I replace mine 2 weeks ago and now I have a ticking noise weird. My mechanic told me to use thicker oil, but I don' think that would solve anything. I'll try to post a Video of mine right now.
Our car calls for 5w20 im running 5w30 so thicker oil did nothing for the ticking when cold..

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,719 Posts
Wow, those two videos sound almost the same.

If it lasts for only the first few minutes until warm, it could also be a bearing associated with the timing belt. Mine made a sound that was more like a bit of a whine until warmed up.

But if you are getting rattling like the above videos, that must be a sign of the same thing just a different part starting to fail. BLCKFLSH, was that your car before you changed yours?

74f100, that timing belt shot, sure makes it look easy to do!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FIRST OF ALL; Thanks Everyone for contributing information here, its very helpful. :D

OMG now I can't sleep as replacing timing belts procedure is to be handled by extremely careful and skillful mechanics, not many around in Sacramento, CA if anyone knows please advise.
dealerships are like stealerships, I'll take it if no other option prevails.

Last car I took to an autoshop was my Altima for an oil change and the guy left dipstick out near the windshield wipers area, After I drove 200 miles 1-5N the engine light came on, oil was EVERYWHERE on the headlights under the hood where that insulating carpet is and it was raining complete disaster, you guys get the picture right?

my understanding ticking noise comes from a bad timing adjustment as well. I can't make it from the videos, my mind is shot right now with the studies on upcoming exam

However; the car has been sitting out in the cold for 6+ hours its dark, I will try to make a cellphone video giving it another hour or so, and another in the morning

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,683 Posts
Wow, those two videos sound almost the same.

If it lasts for only the first few minutes until warm, it could also be a bearing associated with the timing belt. Mine made a sound that was more like a bit of a whine until warmed up.

But if you are getting rattling like the above videos, that must be a sign of the same thing just a different part starting to fail. BLCKFLSH, was that your car before you changed yours?

Yes, this is what my engine sounded like before the timing belt change. The noise is completely gone immediately after changing the belt, water pump, tensioner, and both pulleys. The thing is, the tensioner tested good (had plenty of power, and there was no sign of a leak). The only parts that looked a little suspect, were the pulleys, which had (what I think was) a lack of grease inside. The pulleys both also had black marks on them, so the belt was definitely slipping on both of them. I'm starting to think the tensioner was the problem, but I would change the pulleys just in case, if you do the timing belt. It was loud, when first started, then slowly faded as the engine warmed up.

I'll post the video again, just so you know what sound I'm talking about. Click the Pic

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,683 Posts
Haha, Yes well you can't even take that picture, while the engine is still in the car. The timing belt would be a breeze with the engine out.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Haha, Yes well you can't even take that picture, while the engine is still in the car. The timing belt would be a breeze with the engine out.
BLCKFLSH I have a quick question, mine started making the ticking noise after the timing belt my mechanic replaced everything even the cam seals and crank seal. Now do you think that a valve adjustment is needed after this or that has nothing to do with the Timing belt?

·
03 EX V6, and 6 others
147 Posts
LOL, that's why I pulled it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts