Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 696 Posts

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be the one. Saw it at a small used car dealership in Bethlehem PA.

The guy I spoke with said an older gentleman brought it in at 5:30 pm yesterday, and he purchased a 2013 Chevy Cruze for his wife. Which pretty much checks out because I drove past this place yesterday afternoon, and it wasn't there. We were driving by and I spotted it, turned around and decided to take a look.

He said they didn't have a price for it yet because they hadn't inspected it thoroughly yet. The paper in the window did not have a price on it, just the mileage, VIN and make/model/year. Only 95k miles on it. It is an automatic but besides that, it's *everything* I wanted if I were to get one of these. Black coupe with tan interior. I left my name and number and he's going to give me a call later. I took a photo of the one place on the body with rust, near the right rear wheel well.

Depending on the price they give me, I might actually take the plunge. My dad has been asking about me selling the Cavalier to him so now might be the time to do that, too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
This might be the one. Saw it at a small used car dealership in Bethlehem PA.

The guy I spoke with said an older gentleman brought it in at 5:30 pm yesterday, and he purchased a 2013 Chevy Cruze for his wife. Which pretty much checks out because I drove past this place yesterday afternoon, and it wasn't there. We were driving by and I spotted it, turned around and decided to take a look.

He said they didn't have a price for it yet because they hadn't inspected it thoroughly yet. The paper in the window did not have a price on it, just the mileage, VIN and make/model/year. Only 95k miles on it. It is an automatic but besides that, it's *everything* I wanted if I were to get one of these. Black coupe with tan interior. I left my name and number and he's going to give me a call later. I took a photo of the one place on the body with rust, near the right rear wheel well.

Depending on the price they give me, I might actually take the plunge. My dad has been asking about me selling the Cavalier to him so now might be the time to do that, too.

Oh she is purty 🤤 I’d buy it for the right price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go for it if you can get it for the right price & if it can go through PA inspection.
It's inspected for safety and emissions (I believe it's got an exempt sticker for emissions, it has such low miles) until April, so it seems to have been driven regularly up until yesterday.

Though, I am a little nervous that they're going to throw some ridiculous price at me. But I've seen these go for $2500-3500 around here so I will not go any higher than that.

·
Past Doritos Spinner
3,926 Posts
Is trans swap easy on these older cars?

If so, go for it.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sticker on the driver's door post - does it say ALB (Honda's way of saying anti-lock brakes) or 4WS (4 wheel steering)? 4WS was offered on this generation.
It's 4WS. The second I saw that, I became *much* more interested.

Haven't heard anything yet, but it did start snowing around 4 today, and the guy did say they were preparing for the snow.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been advised, by some helpful internet people, to check on the power steering and listen for rod knock, specifically. They said if the PS fluid is perfectly full then the dealership might have topped it off, so be careful. Apparently the PS fluid lines run right along the exhaust manifold so checking for leaks is paramount.

I'm excited. They haven't even washed it yet. Hopefully I can go check it out again and take a look under the hood before they try to clean anything up, if they do anyway. It's a pretty small garage and dealership. Like, their front office is smaller than my bedroom. So hopefully they don't try to play games with me. They also had a dog in the office, so that's a good sign lol. They've got a 4.3/5 rating on Google.

Once I get their asking price, I'll probably offer full cash upfront but a bit less than what they're asking for. I don't know how realistic it is to expect, but I'd rather not pay more than $2,500 for it.

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
Nice find :) I got my 89 from the original owner a number of years back. Was lucky to find one that was not modded and butchered by the rice crowd. To find a clean one today is nothing short of a miracle - 4WS version no less.

Truth about the power steering lines. I bought my car when I lived in PA and the PA winters are not kind to the underbody. I had to replace the power steering lines. They must by located so that they’re especially susceptible to rust. They’re the only thing I had to replace because of rust failure. Everything else has been fine though I’m having trouble loosening suspension pieces now to put in new shocks because of rust. :frown

If you can, take it to a mechanic for a thorough check up and to see how bad it is underneath.

I’ve read the b20 engines throw rods but so far knock-on-wood no issues at 95K.

Otherwise it still runs great and is still a blast to drive.

Know that replacement parts will be hard to find. Took me awhile before I stumbled on a matched set of Tokico shocks recently.

I would have preferred red or black over Laguna Gold but I couldn’t pass up such a clean car. Recent pic ...

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice find :) I got my 89 from the original owner a number of years back. Was lucky to find one that was not modded and butchered by the rice crowd. To find a clean one today is nothing short of a miracle - 4WS version no less.
There was a gold one for sale a while ago near me, but it wasn't the 4WS. That one was put up for about $3,500 and was gone in a few days. I *hope* they don't jack up the price on it. Because I just can't afford it, and I kinda feel entitled to it since I found it first I hope my cash offer sways them from any BS they might try to pull...

They don't have a lot of cars there right now, and from the photos I saw on Google, they are used to having quite a bit more vehicles. So... Maybe they'll just take the money.

·
Cruising in Montana
3,486 Posts
Pop-up headlights may look cool, but they get jammed by ice. This is the reason the late-80's Corvette's had headlights that faced the driver when turned off - the 180 degree rotation gave it much more ice-breaking torque. On the Corvette that was a waste of effort I think - who drives a 'Vette in snow?

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On the Corvette that was a waste of effort I think - who drives a 'Vette in snow?
Exactly! XD

Edit: VIN checks out.

Nation of Origin: Japan
Manufacturer: Honda
Vehicle type: Passenger car, built in Japan
Model: Prelude B20 Engine
Body type and transmission: 2 Door Sedan, Automatic
Grade: Si Prelude w/optional 4WS Automatic ("passive") seat belt
Model year: 1989
Assembly plant: Sayama, Saitama, Japan
Production sequence number: 6,463

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
You sure do like some ugly cars. LOL.

My uncle had a red one of those he bought brand new. I had an 87 Volvo and one time wife and I were following he and my aunt some weekend. He tried to show off the 4WS by turning into some lot and doing a quick U-turn. Turns out my Volvo matched it. He used to wax and buff that thing about once a week. Back then I thought it was a really nice car. Here we are nearly 30 years later and that is one ugly car.

Although I guess it would be an upgrade from the Cavalier. LOL

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You sure do like some ugly cars.

Although I guess it would be an upgrade from the Cavalier. LOL
I think it looks really cool. But, looks are subjective.
4 wheel steer = major plus.
"passive" motorized seat belts = major negative.
I stopped by after an appointment I had today. No one was there and it was raining. Well, there was a young guy, I assume an employee, who pulled a white Chevy into the parking lot as I was getting into my car to leave, and he went over to the car I was just looking at and like, inspected it. Haha. Must have been making sure I didn't mess with it. But anyway, I just wanted to get the VIN and to check it out again. It was today that I noticed the seat belts; I forget which car I first experienced those with as a kid, but it was the only car I ever saw with that kind of thing.

There was still no price on it... If they don't call me by lunchtime tomorrow, I'm gonna call "Charlie" at the dealership and see what's up. Will probably get an insurance quote too, now that I have the VIN. I want this car. I'd really like to know how much they took it for. I wonder what they'd say if I just told them, I will stop by with $2,500-3,000 cash tomorrow for that car if they can hand me a CARFAX and some recent service records.

Justifying thing to note: My therapist does not think my car collecting hobby is a bad thing... :yes:

·
Past Doritos Spinner
3,926 Posts
Pop-up headlights may look cool, but they get jammed by ice. This is the reason the late-80's Corvette's had headlights that faced the driver when turned off - the 180 degree rotation gave it much more ice-breaking torque. On the Corvette that was a waste of effort I think - who drives a 'Vette in snow?
I mean, NA Miata and RX-7 also used pop-ups, and I don't see people drive them in snow. I sometimes see NA Miatas driving around here in rainter, but we don't usually get snow and the temperature usually doesn't go much below zero(32 for you Americans).

I actually like the look of this car. I like these square-y cars.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I mean, NA Miata and RX-7 also used pop-ups, and I don't see people drive them in snow. I sometimes see NA Miatas driving around here in rainter, but we don't usually get snow and the temperature usually doesn't go much below zero(32 for you Americans).

I actually like the look of this car. I like these square-y cars.
My mother drove her RX-7 in snow... And wrecked it when she slid off a steep road into a ditch. Poor thing. If that hadn't happened I might be the owner of a slick black Mazda. Oh, how life changes in an instant. I love cars like this, especially black and white ones. I still can't freaking believe I found this car just sitting in plain sight on the side of the road.

If I do see a car that's old enough to have these kinds of headlights around here, they're usually so neglected that the motors stopped working long ago, and they are permanently in the up position...

·
Cruising in Montana
3,486 Posts
but we don't usually get snow and the temperature usually doesn't go much below zero (32 for you Americans)
We put the "c" after the number to indicate "degrees Canadian". After all, 32f is much warmer than 0c. It has to be because the number is higher. :wink

1 - 20 of 696 Posts