Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there much of a difference going from Shell 87 10%, 89 5%, 91 0% Ethanol for our cars? I know the manual says regular gas is fine, but is there a noticeable difference due to ethanol levels? Keeping in mind, these are Canadian numbers.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Is there much of a difference going from Shell 87 10%, 89 5%, 91 0% Ethanol for our cars? I know the manual says regular gas is fine, but is there a noticeable difference due to ethanol levels? Keeping in mind, these are Canadian numbers.
Ethanol is added to gasoline (usually 10%) as a way to reduce tail pipe emissions. Ethanol burns a lot cleaner and does not emit NOx and SOx compounds.

The downside to putting ethanol in your tank is, ethanol has a lower heat capacity than gasoline. Simply put, gallon per gallon, gasoline contains more energy (this is a simplified version of it all) when compared to ethanol.

Using gasoline containing ethanol is a good way to reduce emissions, but [partly] because of the fact I stated above, you will lose 1-2 MPG using gasoline containing ethanol (10% ethanol). Almost all newer cars can handle a 10% ethanol blend, so you should have no worries putting it into your tank. I would definitely not go out and start filling your tank with E85!

I personally use 87 with 10% ethanol blend and I have noticed that my mileage suffers a bit, but no other change overall, and I'm happy to use it.

The one interesting thing with ethanol is that you can attain octane ratings >105!!

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,917 Posts
I agree with ilovelamp. 10% ethanol should pose no problem. If you notice the engine stumbling on acceleration or a rough idle step up to the 89 with less ethanol content.

Having said that I had never even seen a gas pump with "may contain up to 10% ethanol" until about three weeks ago. Yep, it finally made its way to deep south Texas. My car is performing normally but miles per gallon is down by about two. My neighbor's '09 Cadillac does not like the mix one bit although it was designed to handle it. I'm on the lookout for a station that still sells 100% gasoline but it may not be available at all anymore.

·
Banned
578 Posts
You're lucky to have a choice!!! In Wisconsin, its 10% Ethanol or bust!

Regarding driving, you wont know the difference.

Regarding MPG's, 0% Ethanol will give *slightly* better MPG, but you really have to track it well to notice. And in your case the higher price of premium without Ethanol defeats the benefit of slightly better MPG.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
the only choice we have in Indy - is to go down to Sunoco by the Indy racetrack and option to get 103 test... the switch to 'up to 10%' happened around here about 2 yrs ago

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with ilovelamp. 10% ethanol should pose no problem. If you notice the engine stumbling on acceleration or a rough idle step up to the 89 with less ethanol content.

Having said that I had never even seen a gas pump with "may contain up to 10% ethanol" until about three weeks ago. Yep, it finally made its way to deep south Texas. My car is performing normally but miles per gallon is down by about two. My neighbor's '09 Cadillac does not like the mix one bit although it was designed to handle it. I'm on the lookout for a station that still sells 100% gasoline but it may not be available at all anymore.
That's funny because all our gas pumps all contain a certain amount of ethanol except the 91 and 94. I have yet to see a 87 or 89 ethanol free.

·
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!
5,667 Posts
I only see 87, 89 or 93 octane fuel here'abouts. Reading above, I now assume the % of ethanol varies in the grades? I did not know that!

One of my vehicles requires 91 octane (which is N/A locally/regionally) & just for kicks, I sometimes do a 2:1 of 87 & 93 (10gals of 93 & 5gals of 87, which results in 91 octane) or 1:1 of 89 & 93 (7.5gals of 93 & 7.5gals of 87, which results in 91 octane). So, knowing how much % of ethanol there is in a particular grade of fuel would obviously steer me towards the former or latter.

In my '08 Accord i4 A.T. sedan, I use Shell 87 octane exclusively. I'm quite confident that the ethanol content lowers my MPG by ~2.

·
13,917 Posts
You know it's a shame that this mixture is being forced upon us. We have no say whatsoever...........that really bites.

The giant push from our government is for HUGE mile per gallon increases from the manufacturers but the fuel that we are REQUIRED to use lowers the miles per gallon with no price decrease! Does anyone else see a problem here?

·
13,917 Posts
I only see 87, 89 or 93 octane fuel here'abouts. Reading above, I now assume the % of ethanol varies in the grades? I did not know tha
The percentage of ethanol may be only in Canadian fuel grades. I question if that is correct in the USA but I don't know that for sure.
As I said I've never seen ethanol fuel until recently.

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
The giant push from our government is for HUGE mile per gallon increases from the manufacturers but the fuel that we are REQUIRED to use lowers the miles per gallon with no price decrease! Does anyone else see a problem here?
Let's turn this into a political thread and/or E85 thread.

Corn farmers got power. They vote, they support, they grease the wheels.

We work and may not have time to vote. And most of the time, too tired to talk.

I'm all for green and alternative, but where is my discount?

·
13,917 Posts
Let's turn this into a political thread and/or E85 thread.
If you don't have time to vote then you have no say whatsoever. E-10 is what is being discussed here, E-85 is not in discussion. Hondas would not run on it anyway so your point is moot concerning E-85. Totally pointless comment.

·
1,927 Posts
About one-third of the corn grown in this country goes to ethanol.

EPA is slated to rule next month on allowing E15, or 15% ethanol, for newer models. They're leaning that way, because of the bioethanol lobby, "renewable" energy, and reduced emissions.

Never mind that multiple studies have shown corn-based ethanol to be energy negative (it takes more energy to produce it than it yields, as opposed to Brazilian ethanol, which is based on sugar cane and is net energy positive (more yielded than it costs to produce.))

Never mind that E15 will screw up many older cars on the road. I see a different sized fuel nozzle opening for E15 cars, or lawsuits for the poor schlub who gasses up with the wrong grade, publicity-seeking attorneys general and senators filing lawsuits and hearing a against the oil companies for misleading the consumer, maybe all of the above.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
We work and may not have time to vote. And most of the time, too tired to talk.
You can always get an absentee ballot. I haven't been to a polling place in years, it's easier to just mail in my vote.

I can't remember the last time I saw ethanol-free gas of any grade.

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
You can always get an absentee ballot. I haven't been to a polling place in years, it's easier to just mail in my vote.

I can't remember the last time I saw ethanol-free gas of any grade.
You may have missed the point of my reply. Voting is not enough. What matters is the one who makes the most noise in terms of lobbying, attend hearings and make a stink about it.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
You may have missed the point of my reply. Voting is not enough. What matters is the one who makes the most noise in terms of lobbying, attend hearings and make a stink about it.
Reading comprehension fail on my part. Good point.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I live in MO where 10% ethanol is mandated for all gas grades. I have no problem using any of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts