Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I just bought a 2008 EX-L and am looking to upgrade the sound system. I don't know much about detailed audio specs but have been using crutchfield, amazon, and these forums to get as much research in as possible. This thread Is what inspired me and I would basically like to replicate it. I've done the research on how to remove the doors/rear deck but due to my lack of knowledge on speaker specs, I wanted to run my purchases by you all and see what you think.

Front Doors

Rear Deck

Sub

I realize that an upgraded amp is very important for sound quality, but I really would like to keep the install as simple as possible and avoid any wiring issues, or disconnecting the ANC mic's (unless required). So if there is a simple way to upgrade the amp to a better one, I'm open ears.

What do you all think about the speakers? Do you have any suggestions on mounting, deck removal, door removal, dynamat application, etc?

Thanks!

·
Registered
268 Posts
The speakers are ok, nothing great, but not bad either in my opinion. Regarding the sub in the rear deck, it's going to sound like shit as most aftermarket subs are not designed to be run in an infinite baffle situation like this. Won't sound any better than stock, especially with the stock amp. It may actually sound worse. I'd keep looking at other options. If you want to run a sub, get an amp and sub enclosure for your trunk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't put the sub in the rear deck as stated before.

wiring can be a PIA but it's worth it. You will not hear much of a difference from the stock if you don't add an amp.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I doubt you're going to hear much difference without adding amp(s). As mentioned above, a free air sub will probably not be worth the trouble. If you plan on keeping the stock head unit, I would suggest looking into a decent line out converter like the Audio Control LC2i. This will act as a preamp, taking your head unit's signal, increasing voltage, and providing RCA outputs - perfect to run into your amp(s).

You have many options with amps. You could run a dedicated amp to a sub (D class would be worth a look because they are so efficient). Then you could run a separate amp for fronts and / or rears. Or you can look into multi-channel amps, which would give you the flexibility to run everything off one amp (i.e. 3 channel, 4 channel, 5 channel).

If you run any kind of amp, you will need to disable ANC - otherwise you will have some undesired sound and distortion. Bottom line is, upgrading the speakers won't do much to satisfy most people's ears. Adding amplification would be a reasonable first step towards volume and sound quality. Changing out the door speakers up front after that would be a logical next step to further enhance sound quality.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts