Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!

I got my '08 EX-L four months ago from a Honda Dealership here in Georgia and 2 days ago when I came back from a 2-day trip I noticed it took a little bit of effort for it to start, however it did start and I was able to drive it back home. I left it parked for about 30 minutes while I took a shower, then tried to turn it on and found that the battery was dead. I had to get a jumpstart, and ever since, the battery has't charged so i've been having to get it jumpstarted every time.
I've read of a lot of problems this car has had with battery in cold weather, but my question is, is there anything I can do, or expect to get, tomorrow when I get to the dealership?
I got this car Pre-Certified by Honda and it's supposed to have a warranty until it reaches 100k Miles, which it hasn't.

I'm guessing it might be a problem with the alternator or one of the cables cause when it worked for the last time, it had been sitting for 2 days and it still had enough battery for it to start, and then it died when I got home so it couldn't have been that I left anything on. Plus it hasn't charged ever since.

Any advice on what should I tell the dealer? (Their customer service ****s, I called in on Sunday when this happened, hoping to get some help, and the person who picked up just said "Service Technicians come in tomorrow at 7am, you're gonna have to call somewhere else!"....so then I explained that I just needed some help as to how to run a test and try to find out what happened, and without missing a beat, she responded "Today we only sell cars, not fix 'em! Anything else I can help you with?"
I'm expecting to have to yell at somebody tomorrow, but before I'd like to have some grounds and facts to stand on, so you're input will be greatly appreciated.

·
Honda only...
304 Posts
Most likely you need a new battery,You may have a Honda battery that is till under warranty(100 Month) .ask the dealer when you go on your next visit.
Or just buy a better battery for your car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had similar problems with my 08 v6 shortly after taking it home last year. I went back to the lot where I Purchased It and they couldn't find what was wrong. A Honda dealer charged 50$ for a charging system test and said the same thing. So off I went on my own to solve the problem.
While it is most probably your battery, you can do some simple checks to rule out alternator, cables etc. you'll need a multimeter and if possible a small current clamp that measures DC current.
First check battery voltage with car off. Should be 12.5-12.7 anything lower and your battery is not fully charged.
Test again with car running, shOuld now read 14.3-14.7.
If its lower, your alternator or wiring could be problem.
Now turn on all elec accessories in the car. Check voltage again, should stay above 14.0 or very close.
You can use your current clamp and verify how many amps are passions from alternator by placing clamp around the large wire that runs from alternator to alternator.
my problem was quite unique, as it happened intermittently and battery would be dead. Eventually I connecting temporary leads to the battery, starter and alternator so that I could monitor the charging system while driving and with the car off. Turned out to be a faulty starter relay that was shorting to ground intermittently and draining the battery slowly.
I doubt you have this problem, but if everything else checks out ok, then start investigating.
There are many more tests you could do, but I'll save that for later if needed.
Hope this helps!

·
7th Gear
3,424 Posts
Isn't 3 years the average life of a Battery? :dunno:

·
Registered
147 Posts
not a honda batt...they're junk - get a real 600 CCA batt
I agree. I'm now on my 3rd Honda battery in 4 1/2 years. Next time I'm going to Sears.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts