Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have upgraded all factory speakers and subwoofers with polk audio. I am planning on upgrading the factory tweeters with the DB1001 in the link below.

Would this be just a direct replacement for the factory tweeter? Will this fit? Will I need to modify any wiring?

Reactions: ddmond

·
2014 Accord EX 6MT
40 Posts
If you choose to upgrade your factory tweeters without adding any type of signal processing I would be interested to know if there is any noticeable difference in sound quality as the the factory tweeters sound artificial to me.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
KHA, any idea on what kind of budget tweeter would work? Didn't know if you knew relative sensitivity that might work with the factory 6.5's. Being somewhat on-axis, I'm afraid most would be quite a bit louder and need an L-pad if you're just going for a basic & quick tweeter install and that's it. I wouldn't mind adding something like some Vifa RR's, etc that are cheap and known to be great for the money, but I'd be afraid they'll scream in your face without any attenuation. Putting a capacitor in-line at whatever x-over you'd like is easy though. I'm still amazed how relatively flat that is for crappy, off-axis 6.5" drivers. You'd expect to see beaming above 3kHz or so, but it's still decently flat. I still wonder if there's EQ in the system. Some serious reflections in the car I guess!

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
My .02

KHA, any idea on what kind of budget tweeter would work? Didn't know if you knew relative sensitivity that might work with the factory 6.5's. Being somewhat on-axis, I'm afraid most would be quite a bit louder and need an L-pad if you're just going for a basic & quick tweeter install and that's it. I wouldn't mind adding something like some Vifa RR's, etc that are cheap and known to be great for the money, but I'd be afraid they'll scream in your face without any attenuation. Putting a capacitor in-line at whatever x-over you'd like is easy though. I'm still amazed how relatively flat that is for crappy, off-axis 6.5" drivers. You'd expect to see beaming above 3kHz or so, but it's still decently flat. I still wonder if there's EQ in the system. Some serious reflections in the car I guess!
I have the OE tweeters in my EX and right now the Highs are very harsh, loud and unnatural. When I tried to use an aftermarket component set with a rating of 92dB the hights were unbeleivably loud, head and shoulders above the stock ones. Long story short I got the best sound when I used the component 6.5 with the supplied crossover cleaining out the highs from the 6.5 and using the stock EX tweeters connected to the stock circuit. It cleaned up a lot of the harshness and gave some warmth to the voices, but I lost all bass because the HU could not drive the 6.5" speaker. Right now its back to stock and staying that way until someone figures out how to drop in an aftermarket HU and keep iMid functions. Then I will add a touchscreen NAV/XM capable unit and try again with the speakers.

Jay

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Those OE tweeters are likely extremely high in distortion and measure horribly :(

Was the aftermarket set 92dB for the tweeter or the entire set?

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Those OE tweeters are likely extremely high in distortion and measure horribly :(

Was the aftermarket set 92dB for the tweeter or the entire set?
The set as a whole.

Jay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts