Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any V6 owners hearing a high pitch whine or ringing noise on the hwy under light throttle conditions or slight down hill grades? Noise goes away when throttle is pressed down or engine loads up. Only comes on in 6th gear.

9300 miles on the car. Had it in the dealership and they heard the noise but say its normal but said they would leave the case open just in case Honda comes up with something. Never had a car make this noise before. Ruining an otherwise good experience.

Thanks

DT

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
Definitely not normal - I have never heard such sound in my V6. Get it looked at again, and if they tell you that is normal, go find another dealer.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Yeah I've driven quite a few v6 tourings. Never heard anything like this.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Noise only comes on when under light engine load such as a flat road or slight downhill grade. Basically a lot of Hwy conditions. You can tell the right conditions when the mpg gauge goes all the way to 60mpg or close to it. Its very predictable. Light throttle pressure to hold speed and the noise just comes on. Push on the throttle or let up and it goes away. Thinking a diff gear noise of some type.

Let me know if you guys can replicate.

Thanks

DT

·
2013 OBP Sedan EXL V6 Nav
51 Posts
Not here. (Other tranny issues though discussed elsewhere)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine does a little, nearly unnoticeable

Back up for more feedback.

Thanks
Yup. My new exlv6 does it a little. Noticed it on the highway. Car only has 1000 Kim's on it. My 2008 Acura did it sometimes too. Do not think it's anything other than transmission whine/resonance. But if you find out otherwise let me know.

Cheers

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. Sounds like a diff issue under light throttle..can be very annoying at times and out of place in such a nice car. I will give it some more time and see what happens.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bringing this back up as I still hear this noise. Curious to see if more V6 owners picked up on it??

Thanks

·
2014 Accord V6 Touring
227 Posts
Bringing this back up as I still hear this noise. Curious to see if more V6 owners picked up on it??

Thanks
i don't hear anything like that. i only hear a slight rumble or vibration when the cylinders shut down when on a load. 200 miles

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
people who don't hear it probably don't know what to listen for. you are probably hearing air turbulence through the intake system and throttle body(which is normal) or even the throttle body itself.

turn the ignition switch on but leave the car off. then lightly apply the throttle and see if the throttle body itself is the noise (which is normal)

·
Registered
901 Posts
coming from my lemon altima i listened for anything on my extended test drives in the i4 and v6. I hit the highway, accelerated hard and soft with windows up and down with the radio off. Car is solid, haven't heard anything unusual.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
people who don't hear it probably don't know what to listen for. you are probably hearing air turbulence through the intake system and throttle body(which is normal) or even the throttle body itself.

turn the ignition switch on but leave the car off. then lightly apply the throttle and see if the throttle body itself is the noise (which is normal)
Wow, i did hear the throttle body whinning/ringing when i tried this. Very obvious noise. Wonder if mine is louder than normal? Will have it checked out.

Thanks for the advice!

DT

·
Registered
588 Posts
I did hear exactly the same "turbo" whistle in my previous hybrid Accord at times. Did not hear this whistle from my current Accord yet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I believe the noise I am hearing is mechanical (gears) or servo (throttle body). Turn car on but do not start, turn off all fans/radio/etc, press on throttle and listen for throttle body servo noise. I heard it pretty easily. Wonder if V6 TB only?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts