Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saleslady at dealer told me all EX-L's and above come with some amount of factory window tint (to keep leather a bit cooler) while lower models don't. I don't see that anywhere in honda.com specs list.

I could see some tint on this dealer's EX-L's but thought maybe it was added just for the few EX-Ls they have.

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
I just checked part numbers for the front windows in a sport VS touring and they are different part numbers. LX/Sport models share the same part number and EX/EX-L/Touring share another. I don't think the "tint" is that far off from each-other as I drove both cars back to back without a noticeable difference.
All Honda windows have some sort of tint from the factory around 80%, if I remember correctly. When i had 20% tint applied it measured at around 15% on the car due to the factory tint.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I have not seen that nor heard of it on any of Honda's documents. Checkout the specifications on all the Accords at http://automobiles.honda.com/accord/

Many dealers will install window tint when they receive the car from the factory along with other dealer add on options to raise the price of the car. They use them as a negotiating ploy to confuse the customer. My car had the following options which I refused to pay for and the dealer gave me the price I wanted and left the options on the car:
Tinted windows
Pin Stripe
Trunk tray
Cargo Hooks
Door Edge guards
Wheel Locks
Splash guards

Initially he wanted to add $1,000 to the price he agreed to sell me the car. I told him to take all that off or get me a factory standard car.

·
Elvira
3,587 Posts
I just checked part numbers for the front windows in a sport VS touring and they are different part numbers. LX/Sport models share the same part number and EX/EX-L/Touring share another. I don't think the "tint" is that far off from each-other as I drove both cars back to back without a noticeable difference.
All Honda windows have some sort of tint from the factory around 80%, if I remember correctly. When i had 20% tint applied it measured at around 15% on the car due to the factory tint.
the reason for the different p/n may be due to the thickness of the glass. I have read, somewhere on the interwebs, that the EX and up models have thicker glass in the windshield and side glass to make them somewhat quieter. :dunno:
take it for what it is, info on the web.
If there is ANY tinting of the glass, I cant see it short of normal color of glass.
Do the Sport and LX models have LDW and FCW camera in same place?

Miker

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As soon as I asked how black leather seats are in sunny weather, the saleslady pointed out the tint in EX-L's and no tint in lower models. I'd have to go back to see if it's an accessory they charge for.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I think your Sales lady was BS-ing. I have an EX model, no leather.
My tint guy told me that mine was already tinted from the factory while he was tinting my windshield. 70%. He used to work for a glass company and he was able to read the stamp on the corner of the windshield. It also have the number "70" in the stamp.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Some accords come with blue tint at the top and some do not. But as a forum were not able to come to a final answer why some do and some don't.

Our Odyssey EX-L did not come with the blue strip, but I have seen LXs with the blue strip.

Jay

·
Registered
901 Posts
After I realized my exl v6 didn't have the tint stripe I took a look at my dealer and another in the area. No tint on a single car. Whatever....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
121 Posts
all of our cars lx and up have the solar green whatever windows... i think its 70 percent... it looks lighter and darker at certain angles.

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
the reason for the different p/n may be due to the thickness of the glass. I have read, somewhere on the interwebs, that the EX and up models have thicker glass in the windshield and side glass to make them somewhat quieter. :dunno:
take it for what it is, info on the web.
If there is ANY tinting of the glass, I cant see it short of normal color of glass.
Do the Sport and LX models have LDW and FCW camera in same place?

Miker
Please show me where you found that one is thicker than the other. Or could an EX/EXL/Touring owner use a micrometer to measure their glass in the center of the drivers front side? I'll do the same with mine tomorrow.

Sport and LX models don't have FCW or LDW.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think your dealer probably added tint to EX-L and above and is charging you for it. I know this might be shocking to people in TX or CA, but here in Maryland, window tint is illegal. In fact, when I moved here from Texas, I had to have all of scraped off my 1990 Accord LX Coupe. People here still have it, but if you get pulled over, you will have to have it removed. It's considered a safety issue for law enforcement.

·
5 Speed CVT
148 Posts
really ? i doubt that new cars are tinted. if you said it has darker window glass probably, however i doubt there are tints on new cars. i might be wrong but i doubt new car come with tint. i have the EX-L i dont recall my window is tinted. i have to tint it myself. if you talk about top windshield, yes mine is tinted from the factory, However the rest of it are not.

·
Registered
293 Posts
i doubt that new cars are tinted. if you said it has darker window glass probably, however i doubt there are tints on new cars.
how is it darker if it's not tinted?

my EX-L V6 is factory tinted - it's marked on every piece of glass on the car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
here in Maryland, window tint is illegal. In fact, when I moved here from Texas, I had to have all of scraped off my 1990 Accord LX Coupe. People here still have it, but if you get pulled over, you will have to have it removed. It's considered a safety issue for law enforcement.
Are you sure that all tinting is illegal, or is it just tinting above a certain percentage? In both Pennsylvania and Delaware, tinting is legal as long as it is not too dark. My understanding is the police have the ability to measure the tint and if it's too dark then you'll get a ticket. But a certain amount is allowed for the exact reason that people California and Texas want it.

That said, there are a lot of cars going around that you cannot see into at all. I'm pretty sure that they're illegal and are in trouble if they ever get pulled over. But people still do it.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
My glass is tinted at 35% and I had it measured by my coworker with a tint meter. It said 27% I think I can't remember. However I got standard tint in mine unless the shop put the wrong one on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have no idea what my 1990 LX was tinted at, but it came from the dealership tinted. It was not very dark, but when I moved here and went to the MVA, they use some kind of a meter and said I failed the test. I had to have it scraped off. That said, yes, lots of people around here have window tinting.

·
Elvira
3,587 Posts
Please show me where you found that one is thicker than the other. Or could an EX/EXL/Touring owner use a micrometer to measure their glass in the center of the drivers front side? I'll do the same with mine tomorrow.

Sport and LX models don't have FCW or LDW.
yikes! that was some time ago and no real idea where I read it. I can measure the glass on mine though. Not tonite cause -10F right now and I ain't going out to measure it.:thmsup:

Miker

·
Elvira
3,587 Posts
After I realized my exl v6 didn't have the tint stripe I took a look at my dealer and another in the area. No tint on a single car. Whatever....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
after I read this I went to look and the dark tint stripe across the top of the windshield is there on mine. I'm not talking about the polka dots but the ubiquitous blue tint. this is a low vin number as it is one of the first off the line. Not that low but early on anyway.

Miker

·
Registered
462 Posts
Mine doesn't have the tint stripe...bummer. Maybe when I go to get it tinted this spring I will have a stripe put on

1 - 20 of 25 Posts