Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 SE 4cyl 5 speed manual 110k miles
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I need some help figuring out what's causing this terrible noise/vibration when I hit the highway everyday on my 07 Accord Sedan 4cyl 5MT. The road noise it makes sounds like I'm driving a huge truck with snow tires on. I can't pinpoint exactly if it comes more from the front or back of the car, it feels kind of widespread. Along with the noise, it also vibrates, not too much on the steering wheel though, mostly the floor board and front seats, feels unsafe...

I'm kind of a newbie with all of this, most I've done is change all fluids and spark plugs. I did check the wheel bearings and tires and they are ok. The place I go for general maintenance says they "can't reproduce the issue" but say my control arm bushings are shot and should be changed, would that cause vibration?

Today I dropped the car off at a tire shop to check balance and alignment and they said it's all good. They say the CV axles are the cause for the vibration saying there's too much play with them. Youtube mechanics seem to agree that vibration caused by a bad CV axle would only happen when accelerating, and that's not my case. Also there's no clicking when turning the wheel lock to lock.

I jacked up the car when I got home and played with the CV axles. The passenger side does have a little play on the side that connects to the transmission but I can't tell what's normal. Here are some pictures if it helps. Thanks a lot

Passenger side axle: leaking?

Driver side.

Do these bushings look bad enough to need to be replaced?

What is this behind the driver's side lower control arm? Looks broken...

Another angle:

·
8th Gen Believer
4,035 Posts
Yes they're shot. When the outer boot has crumbled, as in the second photo, that's a sure sign.

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,349 Posts
....The road noise it makes sounds like I'm driving a huge truck with snow tires on. I can't pinpoint exactly if it comes more from the front or back of the car, it feels kind of widespread. Along with the noise, it also vibrates, not too much on the steering wheel though, mostly the floor board and front seats, feels unsafe...
How old are your struts? Probably your struts have lost their ability to absorb small bumps on the road.

...but say my control arm bushings are shot and should be changed, would that cause vibration?
No, compliance bushings are not causing vibration.

"Do these bushings look bad enough to need to be replaced?" No, they should work just fine for years. Wait until you sort out other problems.

...They say the CV axles are the cause for the vibration saying there's too much play with them. Youtube mechanics seem to agree that vibration caused by a bad CV axle would only happen when accelerating, and that's not my case. Also there's no clicking when turning the wheel lock to lock.
Drive axle vibration often correlates with speed. There is always a little play in a CV joint. I'm not convinced that CV axle is the culprit.

"Passenger side axle: leaking?" Most likely it's engine oil leaked from above, because that's where the passenger axle meets 1/2 shaft, not transmission. There is no fluid to leak.

What is this behind the driver's side lower control arm? Looks broken...
The lower transmission mount looks fine, not broken.

There is nothing obviously wrong from your pictures, except the rubber damper on the shaft. You might want to replace the passenger side axle, which might have nothing to do with the vibration.

·
Registered
195 Posts
This doesn't sound like an axle issue. Axle vibration typically occurs when accelerating, and it will appear and disappear depending on if you are engaging the gas pedal. And axles issues are often associated with leaking of the grease from the boot due to a tear or hole, or at the seal at the edge of the boot. With the loss of grease the joint will wear rapidly and cause vibration. The grease from a tear also can get spun out and splattered on the engine/body surfaces around the boot. Your photos only show part of one boot, each axle has two boots, and what is shown looks ok to me, but the others could be bad.

The oil on the axle in the first photo looks to be from an engine leak. Check your valve cover and elsewhere around the engine for leaks.

·
Registered
2007 SE 4cyl 5 speed manual 110k miles
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How old are your struts?
I talked to the previous owner today, struts are still the factory ones. Car has 110k miles.

except the rubber damper on the shaft. You might want to replace the passenger side axle, which might have nothing to do with the vibration.
Do you mean the driver's side axle? The picture of the cracked damper is on the driver side. Your post about it is scary, I wonder if it looks as bad as yours did under that damper. No way to move it out of the way to check it without removing the axle it seems.

Your photos only show part of one boot, each axle has two boots, and what is shown looks ok to me, but the others could be bad.
Thanks for the explanation of what to look for on the axles. I check all boots today and they're fine, no cracks or grease.

Most likely it's engine oil leaked from above, because that's where the passenger axle meets 1/2 shaft, not transmission.
The oil on the axle in the first photo looks to be from an engine leak.
Thanks for pointing that out guys, took a closer look, definitely engine oil. The filter sits right above it so maybe if could be coming from there? Will need future attention...

Since there's no clear culprit here, there are a couple more things I'm thinking. I'm currently using winter tires with very little thread left that I bought off of a Civic along with its wheels, thought I could squeeze one winter out of them but maybe I'm pushing it too far? They were checked last month at:

LF 5/32
RF 4/32
LR 4/32
RR 5/32

Doesn't help that I commute 500 miles/week. Tires are also 205/55/16 instead of 205/60/16 the manual calls for.

Both mechanic and tire shop said they noticed intermittent pulsation in the brake pedal. I barely, if ever notice this while driving but wonder if could have anything to do with the issue I'm tracking down.

Thanks for your help.

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,349 Posts
Do you mean the driver's side axle? The picture of the cracked damper is on the driver side. Your post about it is scary, I wonder if it looks as bad as yours did under that damper. No way to move it out of the way to check it without removing the axle it seems.
Yeah, it's the axle in the picture. Check the passenger side too. The rubber damper is a piece of rubber with metal reinforcement ring, pretty strong and tightly fit. Crack = the rust underneath has built up so much pressure that burst open at the weaker portion. If you poke a screwdriver at the crack, rust will fall out. I'd expect similar amount of rust as mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts