Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My Dad just traded in his 2013 Lexus for a new 2021 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring. He's 85 years old and didn't want to spend the money for a new Lexus while really focusing on fuel economy with the Hybrid. The car itself is outstanding! He kept complaining to me that it's the loudest car he's ever driven. I drove it the other day, and there is a constant road noise that you can hear, even over the radio. I drive a Ford F-150 for work and the Accord is even louder than this. The Touring has 19" wheels and the low profile tires, but that should make it quieter, right? The tread on the factory tires have a wide middle, I guess for driving on wet roads to push the water away and that is all I can see being the issue. We are close to going back to the dealer to see if there's something that can be done. Has anyone else had this issue or found a solution? Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Honda Accord, Coupe, Touring (V6, 6AT), 2017 Honda Accord Sedan, EXL V6 w/ Navi, Sensing
266 Posts
I suspect a new Honda will have more road noise in the cabin that a not so old Lexus. The dealer probably won’t have much satisfaction to offer. That said, a custom stereo shop could probably remove the interior and install sound dampening material under the carpet.

The stock tires should be pretty low rolling resistance, especially on a hybrid. So I don’t know how much gain there is to offer in that area.

You might take a ride in another hybrid while your at the dealer to see (hear) if your Dad’s is any different than the norm.

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
380 Posts
You really can’t expect a Honda to be quiet on road lol, that’s what Lexus should be.

I too drove a 2008 Lexus ES350 for a month when my 2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L was in repair. The 08 ES350 is indeed much quieter than my 20 Accord Hybrid, especially the highway road noise. Only when it goes above 85mph the wind noise on ES350 catches up possibly because it wasn’t well designed in terms of aerodynamics.

My Accord Hybrid has aftermarket 18” 235/45/R18 tires. That Lexus has 17” 215/55/R17 tires. Yes the tire size does contribute to road noise, since your 19” tire has less cushion than 17” but wider contacting patch. However, no denying that Lexus must have put so much more sound deadening material across the cabin than Honda.

My suggestion is that you should ask for a wheel swap with 2018-2020 year hybrid 17” wheels. Don’t go with aftermarket 17” wheels because the Honda OEM wheel has sound deadening technology which will help.

Then, you should mount dedicated low-noise tires, such as Michelin Primacy Tour A/S, Michelin CrossClimate 2, Bridgestone Turanza Quietrack etc. These are generally classified as Grand Touring AllSeason tires which focus more on road comfort. The OEM 17” is Michelin Energy Saver which sacrifices road comfort and traction for better mpg.

Lastly, if the noise is still beyond your father’s acceptance, going back to Lexus again :) A 2019-2021 Lexus ES300h hybrid model will satisfy him both noise and mpg.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Accords generally aren't the quietest cars on the road in terms of road and tire noise. Toyota products in general, especially Lexus vehicles, are significantly quieter on the road compared to just about any Honda product. Toyota just puts more focus on that than Honda does.

There are a few things you can do, but none of them will make your dad's new Accord as quiet as his old Lexus.

1) Downgrade those large 19" wheels and tires to 17" wheels and tires. Honda offers two wheel sizes on the 10th Generation Accord. 19" wheels with 235/40/R19 tires and 17" wheels with 225/50/R17 tires. You could buy a set of the 17" OEM wheels and tires and then swap them out- and put your dad's factory wheels and tires on Ebay/Facebook Marketplace/Craigslist. You'd probably even make a profit, as the 19" Touring wheels are popular. If you did that swap, your new wheels and tires would be slightly smaller in diameter compared to your factory set. You could replace the tires with 235/50/R17 tires and the overall diameter would be pretty darn close to your original setup.

2) Swap out the tires. The factory tires that Honda puts on Accords with the 19" wheels are either Michelin MXM4s or Goodyear Eagle Touring tires. Neither are the quietest tire around. There are a few suggestions above for quieter tires. Goodyear Comfortdrive tires are supposedly extremely quiet tires- so they may be worth considering too. Combining these tires with 17" wheels might be your best solution.

3) You can tear apart the door frames and trunk to add sound insulation. Some people on this forum have done that- but that's not a solution that everyone is willing to do.

I honestly don't think that the road and tire noise on the Accord is all that bad. I have a 2021 Touring with the Michelin MXM4 tires- and while it's no Toyota in terms of quietness (my wife's fourteen year-old Camry is quieter), its completely acceptable. I'll trade the Accord's better handling for the slightly increased road noise any day compared to a Toyota product.

·
Reverse Gear
980 Posts
Not likely your cause - but just in case: About a month ago, we took delivery of a new Acura TLX with 19" wheels. We never had a car with 19" wheels before and so I thought that the 42 PSI that each tire was inflated to was normal for 19" wheels. It seems that cars are shipped from the manufacturer with the tires over-inflated, and the dealer forgot to take the air out to bring it to the recommended 32 PSI as part of the delivery prep. For us - that reduced the road noise significantly.

I was told that new cars can often sit on a dealer's lot for months without being moved and that the tires are less likely to develop flat spots when parked for extended periods if they are over-inflated.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Accord Hybrid EX-L (radiant red metallic)
30 Posts
Not likely your cause - but just in case: About a month ago, we took delivery of a new Acura TLX with 19" wheels. We never had a car with 19" wheels before and so I thought that the 42 PSI that each tire was inflated to was normal for 19" wheels. It seems that cars are shipped from the manufacturer with the tires over-inflated, and the dealer forgot to take the air out to bring it to the recommended 32 PSI as part of the delivery prep. For us - that reduced the road noise significantly.

I was told that new cars can often sit on a dealer's lot for months without being moved and that the tires are less likely to develop flat spots when parked for extended periods if they are over-inflated.
A big +1 on this, and it's potentially more than just a Touring trim issue.

A few days after picking up my car I checked cold tire pressure. Every wheel had close to 40 PSI. It's now set at 33 PSI, the recommended pressure for my 17" tires. That immediately gave a better and quieter ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the Goodyear Eagle Touring 19" and they aren't bad. There is more "white noise" than tire noise generally. However they are quite opinionated about different surface textures so grooved concrete is much louder than asphalt generally speaking. I'd like a quieter tire but don't find it out of line. I have Cross Climate 2's on the Minivan in 20" size and they are certainly quieter than the Eagles, but they have a little more sidewall as well. 17" Swap would probably make him happy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can buy like new 17" hybrid wheels and tires from a dealer for about $900. They are called "dealer take offs" and they're available because lots of people upsize to bigger wheels. Then you can sell the 19's for $1200 or more. I did it with my Touring. It's quieter, gets better gas mileage, and rides smoother too.

Hybrid Aero Wheels

·
2018 HAH Touring
134 Posts
I totally agree with the OP and those 17" wheels seen above came standard on my 2018 Hybrid Touring. I would still list road/tire noise as one of the top things I dislike. It's surprising and a little disappointing especially matched against the great qualities of the car. I had test driven the Touring 2.0T gas version with the 19" wheels and it was worse with rougher ride, they offered to switch to 17" but I wanted the Hybrid. I do come from an Acura but it was a lowered 2003 sport coupe and it was much quieter.
Good luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You can buy like new 17" hybrid wheels and tires from a dealer for about $900. They are called "dealer take offs" and they're available because lots of people upsize to bigger wheels. Then you can sell the 19's for $1200 or more. I did it with my Touring. It's quieter and rides smoother too.

View attachment 532331

Hybrid Aero Wheels
View attachment 532332
I purchased a second set of these OEM 17" wheels locally on Offer up for $250. I use them for winter tires.
They had about 500 miles on them and looked brand new. They came off a touring so they had the noise reducing gimmick.

Anyhow, I think the noise level with the 17" wheels and tires is fine. I think 18" would look a lot better and would be a good compromise between 17 and 19".

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2017 HAH Touring, and the dealer gave me a 2021 loaner the other day during some warranty work. I commented to him how ridiculously noisy it was in the cabin and he said they're all like that. I love my 2017 and gained a renewed appreciation for my quiet ride. My current tires are Bridgestone Turanza QuietTracks, but I'm fairly confident that it's because my car is better insulated than the new ones, because my factory Michelins were quiet, too.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I went from a 2016 Accord Coupe to a 2019 Accord Sport (and now a 2021 Touring). I honestly think that they are all about the same in terms of road / tire noise. I'm pretty sure that they all had/have Michelin MXM4 tires too.

Accords in general are really nice cars. Road and tire noise aren't things that Honda has excelled in historically. Some better, some worse.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 2017 HAH Touring, and the dealer gave me a 2021 loaner the other day during some warranty work. I commented to him how ridiculously noisy it was in the cabin and he said they're all like that. I love my 2017 and gained a renewed appreciation for my quiet ride. My current tires are Bridgestone Turanza QuietTracks, but I'm fairly confident that it's because my car is better insulated than the new ones, because my factory Michelins were quiet, too.
I'm a bit surprised since my EX-L seems very quiet in the cabin. Using a Radio Shack sound level meter during the test drive before purchase, noise was close to 61 dB with rough pavement up to 64 dB. This was on the Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires that came with the car. After purchase, I found the tires over-inflated. Setting correct pressure seemed to further reduced noise but I haven't remeasured it. Need to do that.

Anyhow, do you think the trim level, tires, and inflation would figure into the perceived noise?

Meanwhile, I will try to remeasure the noise level in the next day or so. Could be it's really noisy and I missed it. Or maybe not. TBD.

EDIT
Measured 61 to 63 dB today. Not as quiet as I'd like. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Low profile tires make it LOUDER! You want fuller tires. Less road noise transmitted up through the suspension.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In addition to reduced noise, the switching out the low profile tires for the tires on the Hybrid EX should result in better gas mileage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Low profile tires make it LOUDER! You want fuller tires. Less road noise transmitted up through the suspension.
Ah, I get it now, thanks. Completely missed that the tires were low profile. Coffee... need more coffee...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
My Dad just traded in his 2013 Lexus for a new 2021 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring. He's 85 years old and didn't want to spend the money for a new Lexus while really focusing on fuel economy with the Hybrid. The car itself is outstanding! He kept complaining to me that it's the loudest car he's ever driven. I drove it the other day, and there is a constant road noise that you can hear, even over the radio. I drive a Ford F-150 for work and the Accord is even louder than this. The Touring has 19" wheels and the low profile tires, but that should make it quieter, right? The tread on the factory tires have a wide middle, I guess for driving on wet roads to push the water away and that is all I can see being the issue. We are close to going back to the dealer to see if there's something that can be done. Has anyone else had this issue or found a solution? Thanks!
I just bought a 2021 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring this month. I've probably had at least 30 plus cars in my lifetime, and it's the noisiest car I have ever driven... At 14, I started with a "T" bone... The road noise is really bad... and I'm hard of hearing... Of course, no SPARE TIRE... This is a real problem... I don't think I've ever owned a car that I didn't have at least one flat... I primarily bought it for the drive-by its self feature.... One said I could read a funny book while driving... etc... Well, it goes from one side to the other, runs off the road.... every two minutes, it says to take the wheel... even on a straightaway... It even ran me against a curb on a bridge before I knew it... like in a second.... Scrubbed up my new mag rims.... Has anyone else had these actions on the drive-by its self??? I love the heads-up feature... because it's hard to see the dash in the daytime... and I love the cruise control... It works great....I bought the Honda because the dealer is a good friend of mine...

·
2018 HAH Touring
134 Posts
It's not 'drive by itself'. It's driver assist. but I agree with your other points. I'd give the assist features a B or B+. Needs improvement ESPECIALLY since it's a safety feature! and noisy, yes. Those are 2 real drawbacks, moreso, since it's so well designed otherwise!
I don't use the lane departure feature, it's mostly annoying. I use the smart cruise sometimes. Love the heads up display and the regen paddles..
Hope you work out the learning on this car. Took me almost 2 months to feel comfortable with all the settings.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
3,220 Posts
I just bought a 2021 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring this month. I've probably had at least 30 plus cars in my lifetime, and it's the noisiest car I have ever driven... At 14, I started with a "T" bone... The road noise is really bad... and I'm hard of hearing... Of course, no SPARE TIRE... This is a real problem... I don't think I've ever owned a car that I didn't have at least one flat... I primarily bought it for the drive-by its self feature.... One said I could read a funny book while driving... etc... Well, it goes from one side to the other, runs off the road.... every two minutes, it says to take the wheel... even on a straightaway... It even ran me against a curb on a bridge before I knew it... like in a second.... Scrubbed up my new mag rims.... Has anyone else had these actions on the drive-by its self??? I love the heads-up feature... because it's hard to see the dash in the daytime... and I love the cruise control... It works great....I bought the Honda because the dealer is a good friend of mine...
Dude, drive the car or get off the road.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts