Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Luv My Honda
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2010 Accord owners's manual states that the total load capacity is 850lbs, yet yesterday i drove 5 people around "including me" and i exeeded that maximum load by at least 300lbs... I dont understand???? If the Accord sits 5 people how come it's only 850lbs??? 5 people weighting at about 200lbs already exeeds 1000lbs...
Anybory here carry that much load everyday on their accords?? Is that safe if you go over a little??

·
VTAKKKK
1,710 Posts
I've smushed 7 people into my car. It's not an issue, just don't go around driving like a retard and taking turns really hard.

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
Maybe the payload refers to the total weight the car is able to pull with a trailer, not the occupants.

·
Internet
502 Posts
thats horrible lol
especially if your car is lowered like mine hahaha
300 pounds in the trunk already dropped my car another 1.5 inches and my car was already dropped as far as my teins can take me

·
Banned
578 Posts
Not sure how I found this old thread....but payload ratings DO include the driver.

Payload is ANYTHING added other than the driver. (passengers and crap)

Is it a huge issue if you're over by 300lbs? No, especially if its passengers which are more evenly distributed than say a trailer or crap in the trunk and you aren't going cross country.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah it pretty clearly states in the manual that the payload includes passengers and luggage.

With how much the average American weighs now, you're right that putting 5 people in the car alone puts it over weight without even carrying any stuff. Maybe they came up with the payload max with the Japanese market in mind.

·
Honda enthusiast
225 Posts
Anyone who says the driver is not included as part of the payload is ignorant to the term and should not spread misinformation. Payload is any weight beyond the curb weight (empty vehicle with a full tank of gas). Going over the maximum payload is dangerous and if insurance discovers this during an accident investigation you are toast. Keep you and yours safe and take two cars instead :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
thats horrible lol
especially if your car is lowered like mine hahaha
300 pounds in the trunk already dropped my car another 1.5 inches and my car was already dropped as far as my teins can take me
300 pounds in the trunk....time to join a gym.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I drive with 5 people all the time including my audio system. I drive slammed with 4-5 people lol only affect I have is power obviously and braking but not so much braking because I have strong brakes

·
Banned
578 Posts
Anyone who says the driver is not included as part of the payload is ignorant.
Your full statement is only true if you disregard the payload rating provided and use the Curb Weight - Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. Of which, no one ever weighs their sedan to find either of these actual numbers, so lets not go there.

However, I do need to retract my statement in that you are correct about the driver being counted. Honda is very consistent (across all years and models) with their definition that the driver is not included in the payload rating thus must be counted and subtracted. Some OEM's have previously counted for the driver in their payload rating, which I personally think is wrong and confusing because human weight can greatly vary.

"The maximum load for your vehicle is [XXXX]. This figure includes the total weight of all occupants, cargo, accessories, and the tongue weight if you are towing a trailer."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts