Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
currently my cars completely stock, and since day 1 ive noticed its got excessive road noise compared to my 09 mazda 6 i touring and sisters 04 vw passat.
i paid nearly 28k for my car and its got way more outside noise in it then a 19k mazda 6 i touring and 20k vw passat.
i think honda should have put better insulation or have insulation kits for reducing road noise..

Is their anything that i can do to reduce road noise,

·
Registered
86 Posts
insulation material like dynamat, and better tires.

i just got better tires. don't have money to put it into other luxuries

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
Interesting, I went from an 08 Accord to an 09 MZD 6 and my road noise went away . . .

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

"Road noise" is a Honda "idiosyncrasy". Not sure why its always more pronounced in Hondas. IMO ANC is a band aid fix.

I've read mixed results about people adding sound insulation. Unless you do it extensively (remove carpet, door panels, trunk) you probably won't hear much of a difference.

The Michelins tend to be a big part of the problem. They're like rolling echo chambers. Replacing the Michelins always made the ride a bit quieter.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting, I went from an 08 Accord to an 09 MZD 6 and my road noise went away . . .

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

"Road noise" is a Honda "idiosyncrasy". Not sure why its always more pronounced in Hondas. IMO ANC is a band aid fix.

I've read mixed results about people adding sound insulation. Unless you do it extensively (remove carpet, door panels, trunk) you probably won't hear much of a difference.

The Michelins tend to be a big part of the problem. They're like rolling echo chambers. Replacing the Michelins always made the ride a bit quieter.
i prob. would have gone with another mazda 6 if they came in 6 speed manual in the v6 motor, and it had a coupe model available with a car that didnt look like your riding a dick, (HAHAHAHA, its a common look in the newer cars but not in the accords :p )....
their are only a few things that the accord has disapointed me but could be fixed with $$, it should have came with the exl model

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
103 Posts
insulation from the ground in the accord is pretty bad. i agree, they could have did a better job with higher quality material. i guess they have to cut somewhere...

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Damplifier worked ridiculously well in all my past rides (when I was into subs and such), I'd do the whole floor, all the door cards, the hat rack and trunk (extensive, yes...but you get to know your car well and sorry for some mixed in euro terms, it happens, lol) 0...

in terms of the 8g accord, a tire switch on my '08 cpe from the stock MXM4 Mich's (holy moly Honda, let's do a better time choosing a OEM tire for the 9G) makes a massive improvement if you go with a decent tire (I went with some Yoko's that gripped well and had a nice treadlife rating..can't recall the model, but night and day in terms of road noise)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey fellow six speed coupe owner, welcome to owning a Honda! I had a Honda Fit for four years, and now my coupe for seven months and they both have more road noise than I would like. The Fit was worse by far, as to be expected due to the class of car it's in. I think after a while you just get used to it, and/or crank the stereo.

Honda knows about this complaint because they've been dealing with it for years, and years, and years, and they refuse to fix the problem, which is why their cars will continue to have the worst road noise in their respective class.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Switching from the OEM Michelins to Goodyear Eagle GTs made a huge difference in road noise.

·
Registered
31 Posts
its the crappy tires honda gives you stock. im pretty sure concrete wheels would make less road noise than the tires we get from the factory

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey fellow six speed coupe owner, welcome to owning a Honda! I had a Honda Fit for four years, and now my coupe for seven months and they both have more road noise than I would like. The Fit was worse by far, as to be expected due to the class of car it's in. I think after a while you just get used to it, and/or crank the stereo.

Honda knows about this complaint because they've been dealing with it for years, and years, and years, and they refuse to fix the problem, which is why their cars will continue to have the worst road noise in their respective class.
+1 Hondas are notorious for relatively high road noise levels.

I'm glad to hear that changing tires will likely help, but I'd be interested to hear what people's results have been from trying sound insulating materials.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Does the coupe and sedan have a different level of insulation? I have a 2010 exl 6 sedan and my road noise is just fine, infact I'm still impressed with how quiet it is.

On another note, I have to watch the tach to make sure the engine fired up its so quiet.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Does the coupe and sedan have a different level of insulation? I have a 2010 exl 6 sedan and my road noise is just fine, infact I'm still impressed with how quiet it is.

On another note, I have to watch the tach to make sure the engine fired up its so quiet.
I agree completely, there is no road noise if you are parked and just turn on the engine :lmao:

Seriously now, the EX and EXL models have active noise control that works great when the car is stationary (no engine noise) but once around 40mph or above tire/wind/engine and in general road noise is the worst in its category.

I am thinking to getting some insulation material but need a really really detailed DIY post for that... including removing the cars carpet and door internal trims.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree completely, there is no road noise if you are parked and just turn on the engine :lmao:

Seriously now, the EX and EXL models have active noise control that works great when the car is stationary (no engine noise) but once around 40mph or above tire/wind/engine and in general road noise is the worst in its category.

I am thinking to getting some insulation material but need a really really detailed DIY post for that... including removing the cars carpet and door internal trims.

I did a complete install of all noise control methods using Sound deadner show down (SDSD) material. Call Don at SDSD, i had posted detailed pictures of my car's teardown and install. Don has these also.

I did dB measurements after each major step, ie under carpet, door panels , trunk, side panels.

There is a major ingress point just above the kick panels,, feel the hole to fender well above them ( very hard to see) I changed the tires but didn't buy the right tire. I had complained to Michelin and they exchange my tires but only with Michelin. I picked Pilots because they were quite (per Tire Rack).

I reduced about 4 dB over smooth surfaces 74-75 db to 72dB. Which is A LOT quiter. But over noisy surfaces my gain was only about 1 -2 db 78-80 which is still very noisy. The primary noise generator is the tires.

If I had to do it over I would put on Continental's eco's ,, very quite on my Honda mini van.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm looking at the 2011 EX-L 4 Sedan. It doesn't have the hood insulation that the EX-L 6 does. (It's also missing memory seating and Homelink.) Don't know if there's other insulation that's missing....

I test drove the EX-L 4 this weekend and REALLY liked the drive, the acceleration, and the EPA estimate. However, I was really disappointed with the cabin noise level, to the point that I doubt I'll move forward.

Consequently, at least one dealer I found via this site (College Hill Honda?) will sell you the hood insulation for the 4. Perhaps if I knew this would make a big difference, I could be swayed. However, I'd prefer to avoid other sound insulation solutions that require car parts to be removed and reinstalled, unless they are performed by the Honda dealership!

·
Registered
104 Posts
With the existance of the Acura line up noisy Hondas are and have been for many years a fact of life. Honda intentionally keeps the distance between Honda and Acura in such things as VNH.

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
I'm looking at the 2011 EX-L 4 Sedan. It doesn't have the hood insulation that the EX-L 6 does. (It's also missing memory seating and Homelink.) Don't know if there's other insulation that's missing....

I test drove the EX-L 4 this weekend and REALLY liked the drive, the acceleration, and the EPA estimate. However, I was really disappointed with the cabin noise level, to the point that I doubt I'll move forward.

Consequently, at least one dealer I found via this site (College Hill Honda?) will sell you the hood insulation for the 4. Perhaps if I knew this would make a big difference, I could be swayed. However, I'd prefer to avoid other sound insulation solutions that require car parts to be removed and reinstalled, unless they are performed by the Honda dealership!
I installed the hood and trunk insulation from the V6 in addition to the driver's and passenger's side insulation and quite honestly did NOT notice a difference hopefully new tires will help.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts