Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 03 accord I4 behind the headers comes the catalytic converter, resonator then muffler. Has anyone ever just cut the resonator and what are the effects and sound

·
Just got my 11 EX sedan!
182 Posts
never done it, but it should be louder. i take it its rusted out? if rusted out you can get a piece of straight pipe, and either drop the exhaust, and weld in the pipe. actually tack weld in the pipe to have it aligned properly, and then drop it, and finish the weld job. option 2 is to use straight pipe with pipe adapters, and clamps. could weld it but you wont get the top leaving a exhaust leak.

option 3 and most expansive is goto a muffler shop. they wont just change the resonator, so it will be from the most forward connection/good pipe back . bastardos!

is the resonator very expansive? if no just replace that. if me id weld whatever you decide on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not rusted I just wanted to see if anyone has thought to remove it. Just trying to get some extra flow without spending a lot of money

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
Check YouTube I'm sure there are clips of K24 Accords with the resonator removed.

·
Just got my 11 EX sedan!
182 Posts
K24?

·
9th Gen Coupe
825 Posts
your 2.4 liter engine is a k24 engine

·
Just got my 11 EX sedan!
182 Posts
ok. whats the K stand for?

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
ok. whats the K stand for?
As stated by others, the engine series. The F-series was the previous Accord I4, the H series was essentially a DOHC head on an F series block, etc. etc. Every manufacturer has their own codes, Nissan has the old school VG series V6's that were bulletproof and the much renowned but a little long in the tooth VQ series V6's.

OP, I would think hard before hacking off a resonator. Generally they are the one thing most people add back in after installing a louder exhaust because it gets rid of the nasty, ricey rasp. If you enjoy that sound then full steam ahead, just think twice.

·
9th Gen Coupe
825 Posts
I wouldn't remove the resonator off of any if honda's inline 4 engines. Removing it from a V6 is better, but removing from an i4 induces a lot of rasp.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
I am not an expert on this but I do remember reading a thread stating that removing some of the back pressure on the I4 will reduce low-end power. Again, I am not stating this- I am asking this. True?

Or was I lied to like a Chevy dealer tells you "It should last for years."?

·
9th Gen Coupe
825 Posts
I am not an expert on this but I do remember reading a thread stating that removing some of the back pressure on the I4 will reduce low-end power. Again, I am not stating this- I am asking this. True?

Or was I lied to like a Chevy dealer tells you "It should last for years."?
A resonator doesn't restrict very much, naturally it doesnt really induce that much back pressure.

When I removed my exhaust resonator, I noticed that the resonator was already extremely free flowing.

Not my pic, but my resonator looked exactly the same. I could take pictures of mine, but it's currently stored away
lol

Lens Camera lens

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Thank you. So what exactly does a resonator do? I honestly don't know.

·
9th Gen Coupe
825 Posts

·
9th Gen Coupe
825 Posts

·
Just got my 11 EX sedan!
182 Posts
i think he means the compleat exhaust is still on the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts