Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Banned
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I had done a very short test drive on Monday. Had the wife and kids out today and stopped at another dealer (we were on the other side of town). First off, this dealer was WAYYY CHILL on stuff! Basically was very friendly, tossed me the key, said "enjoy your test drive" and away we went! (The other place copied my license, obviously did some "research" on me because he asked about the last time I had been in a few years ago, and he let me drive about 1 mile around the block!). This second dealer honestly didn't seem to care if we took the car out for the whole afternoon (we didn't though)

So this was a longer drive, and I took us out to the highway given that we were alone and the dealer was chill.

New impressions: I still like the car. Not quite as rock-solid on the highway as our 325i, but good enough for me. Wind noise wasn't too bad, but it was definitely not a Lexus or Audi or BMW.

CVT JUDDER! Yes, I felt it (actually my wife caused it, twice!). First time she was pulling out, she must've been quite pansy on the accel pedal but the car really gave a noticeable shake shake shake. Not super violent but definitely noticeable to both of us. Not my favorite feeling! (since I had read about it, I told her to be a little more commanding with the throttle). When I drove, it wasn't a problem as I generally don't baby the throttle as much.....

SIDE MIRROR! My wife apparently hates the "graduated" optics of the drivers side mirror. It is funny how it is always the little stuff that then become points of contention in a decision like this. I actually agree with her (the stupid mirror isn't that helpful and the left side wide angle thingy sorta looks weird) although it isn't a big enough deal to knock the whole car out of contention. I can get used to little stuff. She PROBABLY can although I'm taking a risk that for the next 10 years I have to hear about this dumb mirror all the time. She still mentions our "small closet" in our otherwise decent-sized home and we've lived here 10 years!

Car drives well, and back seat is very nice sized. I still like it. Need to let it sink in with the wife a bit more and then see where we are......

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Very interesting that my CVT has no judder when starting off from a standstill regardless how slowly I accelerate. I agree that the left side expanded view mirror doesn't seem to do much good and takes a little while to become accustomed to using.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
None yet. Probably Mazda 6 although I'm really more sold on the Accord already (on paper). Better value, better visibility (larger windows), larger back seat. Plus I just feel like Honda is gonna be that much more rock solid on the reliability side vs Mazda, and hold up better on resale. May just be a hunch, but I think while the Mazda looks sexy, I just have this gut feeling that I won't have quite as happy of a long term relationship with it. May be wrong though, and I do want to drive one.

Other than that, nothing. I don't like the Altima looks, and don't want Camry. Passat will likely have same reliability issues that have annoyed me with my current BMW. Don't want to pay up for BMW or Audi again, really, and go down that whole cost-of-ownership thing a second time, given that they don't offer ENOUGH incremental value IMO.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very interesting that my CVT has no judder when starting off from a standstill regardless how slowly I accelerate. I agree that the left side expanded view mirror doesn't seem to do much good and takes a little while to become accustomed to using.
I dunno but when we were pulling away I said to myself AHA, there's that judder! And about 5 secs later my wife said "it seems kinda jerky when we start out"

From other posts, it sounded like it was prevalent on very light touches to the throttle. Maybe it is something with a brand new car with 7 miles and it somehow works itself out? Honestly I haven't read through the 100s of pages on the "CVT stinks" thread, and not sure I want to really.....:)

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
14,614 Posts
have you looked at the fusion or new malibu, by chance?

·
Banned
784 Posts
Happy Window Shopping!

I dunno but when we were pulling away I said to myself AHA, there's that judder! And about 5 secs later my wife said "it seems kinda jerky when we start out"

From other posts, it sounded like it was prevalent on very light touches to the throttle. Maybe it is something with a brand new car with 7 miles and it somehow works itself out? Honestly I haven't read through the 100s of pages on the "CVT stinks" thread, and not sure I want to really.....:)
I honestly don't see you buying a 9th gen Honda Accord anytime soon and in fact I doubt you will even buy one. You will post for a few more weeks then decide that the Accord is not for you because deep inside your love and don't want to depart with your beloved BMW, which I do understand. When a person thinks too much about buying a new car, the purchase does not occur. The fun (exciting) part of buying a new car involves a bit of fancy and impulse desire otherwise it is not easy being logical. Tell me if I am wrong?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
why are you even entertaining a cvt 4cyl coming from a 325? Try the v6, be done with it.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I honestly don't see you buying a 9th gen Honda Accord anytime soon and in fact I doubt you will even buy one. You will post for a few more weeks then decide that the Accord is not for you because deep inside your love and don't want to depart with your beloved BMW, which I do understand. When a person thinks too much about buying a new car, the purchase does not occur. The fun (exciting) part of buying a new car involves a bit of fancy and impulse desire otherwise it is not easy being logical. Tell me if I am wrong?
Actually I do think you're wrong. I like the Accord....I like the price, I like the reliability. My BMW is not "beloved" by the way....it is almost 12 years old and is just a base model 325xi. With leaks!

why are you even entertaining a cvt 4cyl coming from a 325? Try the v6, be done with it.
Why? Because honestly I don't see the need for a V6 when it is gonna get 21 mpg around town rather than 30. And it costs more too. THAT SAID, you are right, I should at least drive it to see if it feels different, better. However I have never claimed that the acceleration was bad on the i4 CVT! Just mentioned the judder which is a fair claim I think. Any wind noise, steering feel, all that stuff will be EXACTLY THE SAME on a V6 vs a 4 CVT! This is a car that will be driven around the suburbs at 45 mph, and sometimes on the highway. I don't see the upside to the V6 except for 1) normal tranny and 2) dual exhaust looks way better!

·
Banned
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aww man, now you guys have got me clicking on all the pages for V6 and thinking "yeah, what's an extra couple grand!"

Is there ANY MECHANICAL DIFFERENCE with the V6 model other than (duh) the engine and the tranny? Same exact suspension or different?

Here I was all excited to get fuel sipping love in the I4 and now you want me to go back to a "guzzler" (by comparison)

Can I make the case to myself that I can forego the extended warranty on the V6 since it is a tried-and-true auto tranny, versus my temptation to spend $800 on a warranty to protect against this CVT thingy?

Any logic to the "I4 is smaller in the engine bay and therefore will be easier to DIY stuff" that I saw in another post? Also I4 doesn't have a timing belt too.

I feel like Vinney Barbarino...."I'm soooo confused!" :D

·
Banned
784 Posts
Aww man, now you guys have got me clicking on all the pages for V6 and thinking "yeah, what's an extra couple grand!"

Is there ANY MECHANICAL DIFFERENCE with the V6 model other than (duh) the engine and the tranny? Same exact suspension or different?

Here I was all excited to get fuel sipping love in the I4 and now you want me to go back to a "guzzler" (by comparison)

Can I make the case to myself that I can forego the extended warranty on the V6 since it is a tried-and-true auto tranny, versus my temptation to spend $800 on a warranty to protect against this CVT thingy?

Any logic to the "I4 is smaller in the engine bay and therefore will be easier to DIY stuff" that I saw in another post? Also I4 doesn't have a timing belt too.

I feel like Vinney Barbarino...."I'm soooo confused!" :D
You still got a few hours left before the dealer closes for the weekend. You can test drive all you want but I know it is not going to happen...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
O

CVT JUDDER! Yes, I felt it (actually my wife caused it, twice!). First time she was pulling out, she must've been quite pansy on the accel pedal but the car really gave a noticeable shake shake shake. Not super violent but definitely noticeable to both of us. Not my favorite feeling! (since I had read about it, I told her to be a little more commanding with the throttle). When I drove, it wasn't a problem as I generally don't baby the throttle as much.....
Was the econ button (the green leaf) on?

·
No PRND
583 Posts
I hated the mirror too but I don't really notice it anymore. I still wish it was a normal mirror.

·
Registered
227 Posts
BMW disease

I find it interesting that we have several BMW and Mercedes fans that post here.

They find Honda interesting enough to consider, but then defend their German iron.

Yes, BMW makes fine cars. But they break. A lot.

Its funny to me they vent on this site. Sort of like they know deep inside that Honda makes great sensible but fun products. They are mostly trying to figure themselves out I think. As why they really buy and hang onto the high cost way to go.

I wonder why they dont post on the BMW blog instead :dunno:

·
Banned
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You still got a few hours left before the dealer closes for the weekend. You can test drive all you want but I know it is not going to happen...
You know "what" is not going to happen....I'm never gonna buy an Accord? Mind you every car I've ever owned has been a Honda except for the one BMW......Prelude, Civic Coupe, Pilot, and currently Odyssey.

Was the econ button (the green leaf) on?
No it wasn't. I mean there are lots of reports of CVT judder on here, so I wasn't surprised. Like I said, it seemed to be when my wife was just inching away from a start. Happened noticeably twice in the test drive - both times with her driving.

Accord V6 has a normal trans with a dipstick for me to refill ATF right? That's a plus since I can do it soooooo easily on my Odyssey.

Re: V6 "gulping" gas....we won't drive that many miles on the car so it would be an extra couple hundred bucks a year in gas, V6 vs I4.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I find it interesting that we have several BMW and Mercedes fans that post here.

They find Honda interesting enough to consider, but then defend their German iron.

Yes, BMW makes fine cars. But they break. A lot.

Its funny to me they vent on this site. Sort of like they know deep inside that Honda makes great sensible but fun products. They are mostly trying to figure themselves out I think. As why they really buy and hang onto the high cost way to go.

I wonder why they dont post on the BMW blog instead :dunno:
I hope you're not identifying me as one with a BMW "disease" and "defending my german iron". I've never once defended my BMW on this board. I'm here because I'm in the market to switch from a 12yr old BMW and Accord is the top of my list. I did (and do) post on the BMW board by the way....for all things related to my BMW.

You may be referring to others, and if that's the case that's fine. That said, I do notice some level of "reverse snobbery" to BMW on this board. Lots of people who are satisfied that they have found THE BEST VALUE and confident that their Accords are every bit as good as a BMW, but without all the reliability issues. There is a tone that people who buy BMWs are just badge whores with too much money to spend on a car that delivers nothing more. Before you jump out of your chair, this is not meant to "defend" BMW or anything, but I sense some of that attitude from certain comments. Probably not universal of course. Then again, there is the thread with the guy who bought a Mercedes CLA and every person is just lying down at his feet in awe of that car :dunno: (car doesn't really do it for me but to each his own) Funny....

·
Registered
227 Posts
I hope you're not identifying me as one with a BMW "disease" and "defending my german iron". I've never once defended my BMW on this board. I'm here because I'm in the market to switch from a 12yr old BMW and Accord is the top of my list. I did (and do) post on the BMW board by the way....for all things related to my BMW.

You may be referring to others, and if that's the case that's fine. That said, I do notice some level of "reverse snobbery" to BMW on this board. Lots of people who are satisfied that they have found THE BEST VALUE and confident that their Accords are every bit as good as a BMW, but without all the reliability issues. There is a tone that people who buy BMWs are just badge whores with too much money to spend on a car that delivers nothing more. Before you jump out of your chair, this is not meant to "defend" BMW or anything, but I sense some of that attitude from certain comments. Probably not universal of course. Then again, there is the thread with the guy who bought a Mercedes CLA and every person is just lying down at his feet in awe of that car :dunno: (car doesn't really do it for me but to each his own) Funny....
Hey Hogan,

It was a generalization. If it fits - own it. If not, please do not take offense.

I understand.

·
Crosseyed and Gearless
298 Posts
You should ask the dealer to test drive another of the same car since the CVT issue seems to be a car to car thing, one has it, another doesn't, and the one you just test drove had it. And if you tested with ECON OFF, it'll be even worse if you turn it ON. Maybe what you want to do if you decide to go for an Accord is test drive a car with ECON ON, and if it doesn't judder, then you're golden, especially if you typically keep ECON OFF. BTW, take your time, make sure this is the car you want before buying, nothing worse than reading one of those "I wish I hadn't bought a Accord posts and how much am I going to lose if I trade in my new car so I can get another one"!

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.