Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
2013 Accord Sport CVTAuto
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently had the Viper 4204V remote start installed in my 4 dr 2013 Honda Accord Sport. Bought and install from Best Buy, and before everyone hates on Best Buy install tech's this tech had installed an Infinity Basslink in my car once, and did fine, so I figured I could trust him.

So, anyhow, after installation, the remote start worked fine, but over the next day a few times when remote starting, I could hear a louder, weird noise that wasn't "grinding" per say, but it was sort of metallic sounding. Then, the remote start would shut the car off, then try to restart, but the engine wouldn't turn over. I thought I'd give it a few more days, but the next day during a bit of a snow/ice storm (6 inches is a lot of the South, I'm in NC) when it took me 5 hours in the car to get to somewhere where I could urinate, when I got back to the car the battery was dead (I had tried to jump it the night before and it didn't work, turns out it's because we didn't let the battery charge up for about 5 mins). After getting towed to the dealership where I bought the car (and a $200 fee), the dealership's computers said my battery, starter and alternator were all fine. Being that it was Valentine's Day and I had plans, I asked the install tech at Best Buy to disable the remote start (he unplugged 4 fuses) and the car has worked fine since then. I do know that when I brought it back, the tech changed a couple settings, one of those being something about "Virtual Tach" which he tells me uses the car's computer to tell the remote start whether or not the car is started or not, vs. some other way.

Either way, all I know is that when I had the remote start installed on 2/10, and had it disabled on 2/14 and my car hasn't had any problems starting since it was disabled. Can ANYONE help or shed some light on this? I'm fine to return the remote start to Best Buy, but damn, I'd rather have it just work. I can't be the only one to try to get this system installed on my 13 Accord Sport.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
The remote start module maybe over starting the car. So you hear that grinding noise. The starter relay maybe set for 3 seconds. I guess that's the average start time for cars.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
2013 Accord Sport CVTAuto
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The remote start module maybe over starting the car. So you hear that grinding noise. The starter relay maybe set for 3 seconds. I guess that's the average start time for cars.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Hey, thanks for your response. It wasn't overstarting it, because it wasn't "grinding", just a bit metallic. That stopped after he changed the setting to "Virtual Tach" though, so the remote starter was using the car's computer to let it know if it was on. I'm just worried that something is draining the battery, which is why my battery died. However, when I went to Advance Auto, it passed the drain test...plus the install tech measured the battery with a voltmeter and there was nothing drawing from it. So either my battery was dead and it was a complete coincidence, or it's something else. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Hey, thanks for your response. It wasn't overstarting it, because it wasn't "grinding", just a bit metallic. That stopped after he changed the setting to "Virtual Tach" though, so the remote starter was using the car's computer to let it know if it was on. I'm just worried that something is draining the battery, which is why my battery died. However, when I went to Advance Auto, it passed the drain test...plus the install tech measured the battery with a voltmeter and there was nothing drawing from it. So either my battery was dead and it was a complete coincidence, or it's something else. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!
:dunno: im not really sure...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts